what do you think about.....?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: what do you think about.....?

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Jul 2018, 21:23

Fawlty Towers - I don't know if it's because I've seen them too often, but there's some episodes that really get on my tits now. The one with Basil the rat, the fake lord, duck's off, the wedding anniversary... when it was good, it was bloody brilliant, but some of it does kind of annoy me now.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - I loved them as a kid, but now, the chocolate is shite, and that sugary gloop inside is just instant toothache.

Benny Hill - I watched it as a kid, and the whole family enjoyed it, but I have such a vague recollection that I honestly couldn't remember anything about it other than the famous music/sped up chase bits, and Benny slapping a bald man's head. I find it hard to stack up the kind of derision/distaste he generates now against his massive popularity at the time. He must have had something, surely? I'd love to see an episode now to see if he had timing, could work the mechanics of a joke, judge him on a technical basis as much as an 'of his time' basis.

tofu - Like The Lemonheads. Really difficult to get worked up about in either pro or con scenarios.

Star Trek - Dogshit.

Doris Day - Dunno. Only really know her from that slightly sub-standard Hitchcock Ke Sera Sera comes from.

mirror balls - Would be the weirdest nickname to garner.

supermarket self-checkouts - Don't mind them, it means I can pour loads of loose change in and feel like I've not really spent anything.

football - Love it, especially internationals, which are the purest form of top-flight football, where money can only have so much of a corrupting influence.

prawn crackers - I like them, especially if they actually contain prawn. My dad once threw a cheap pile of left over crackers out onto the lawn to see if the birds would eat them, and they just melted and destroyed the lawn.

Sacha Baron Cohen - He was funny and fairly innovative on the otherwise worthless 11 o'clock show. After that, I really couldn't be arsed with the fella. Remember when Ricky Gervais tried to follow his slot, and became nationally detested, prior to The Office?

Leeds - I quite like the city centre, it's got a couple of really good record shops, and isn't bad at all for a night out, it's got swankier locations and the kind of real-ale boozer which I'm actually allowed to enter. The art gallery is small, but nicely formed, I really like the self-portrait of Walter Sickert they have there. The city reminds me of a kind of halfway house between Liverpool and York. Big wide open city centre streets, but with areas of some character.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Jul 2018, 21:56

Fawlty Towers - the benchmark I guess, although, being shallow, I do prefer to like the leading character.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - used to love ‘em, but in later years either their taste have changed or mine has. Now they make my teeth itch. Doubt i’ll Ever touch one again.

Benny Hill - of its time. Quite liked him as a kid, but not for now. But he did have talent, that’s for sure.

tofu - if ther was nowt else available I’d eat it, but not something I’d order or buy.

Star Trek - It’s all about TNG. (Make it so.)

Doris Day - when I was 5 (having my hair washed) I told my Mum I wanted to marry her. She tried to let me down gently but I cried! (I actually remember this.)

mirror balls - remind me of discos so no nothing good.

supermarket self-checkouts - I need my kids to get me through this.

football - I’m a bit out of love with the pro game at the highest level but still watch what is happening in any form of football I might see driving / walking even for a few seconds.

prawn crackers - moreish on the way home with a chuck-out but never eat them when I get home.

Sacha Baron Cohen - I prefer Chris Morris

Leeds - surprisingly nice city. I’d shit on the football team though.
Last edited by Lord Rother on 28 Jul 2018, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 28 Jul 2018, 21:57

Most surveys put Leeds as the UK's third-biggest city now, ahead of Manchester and Liverpool. I have to say, it doesn't have that big city feel, to me.
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 28 Jul 2018, 22:26

Fawlty Towers
Unlike a lot of you, I still enjoy watching it. While I think it holds up remarkably well NOBODY I watch it with gives a rats ass about it. They look up from their phones and chuckle at Cleese from time to time. I think each episode is diabolically well thought out. “Would you care for a rat?” :lol:

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - I choked them down as a kid so I wouldn’t seem ungrateful. I don’t much care about seeming ungrateful these days.

Benny Hill - be honest now, will you ever in your LIFE hear “Yaketty Sax” by Boots Randolph quite the same way? I don’t think so & that’s got to count for something.

tofu - I’m not a vegetarian but I love it. This may come from working in office buildings and never getting to the free lunch until all that’s left is “the vegetarian option” I think it’s wonderful stuff.

Star Trek - I like many of the things that say “Star Trek” on them but the only one I love with every fiber of my being is the original series. The “Aesops Fables” aspect was pretty strong in a lot of them. I really loved growing up with a Buck Rogers escapism show that dramatized issues like tolerance and empathy all while sixties bombshells rocked their mini-skirts. The best of both worlds.

Doris Day - I think she was a good straight actress. Love me or Leave Me and those suspense things like “Julie” - I thought she was VERY good in a lot of stuff.

mirror balls - Only use mine when I’ve lost my keys.

supermarket self-checkouts - will. Not. Accept. Is there anything sadder than a retail clerk showing you how to use the device that his bosses hope will replace him? I don’t think people are going to accept the kiosks willingly. Sure, we’ll let Amazon turn the whole retail thing on it’s head but, mark my words, as soon as we accept the kiosks we’ll have robot security guards telling us to hurry the fuck up.

football - like most sports, I enjoy seeing people get all excited about their emotional investments. Maybe I enjoy this since I rarely have any emotional investments of my own.

prawn crackers - I reject them simply on principle.

Sacha Baron Cohen - There’s something to be said for someone who has the skill of coaxing somebody to hang themselves by their own rope. He’s done this LOTS of times, hasn’t he? I can see why not everybody thinks of it as comedy but maybe posterity will cut him some slack like Andy Kaufman. Me, I enjoyed “the Dictator” a lot. Also, I think, like Eddie Izzard, he is going to be cast in more straight acting roles and will prove to be good at them. He’s an acquired taste. I’m not sure that I’m acquiring it but I think he’s a unique and considerable talent.

Leeds - I enjoyed “Live at Leeds” lets leave it at that.
Last edited by sneelock on 28 Jul 2018, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo wrote: I'm assuming it's bullshit.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 28 Jul 2018, 22:47

Swell Maps wrote:Most surveys put Leeds as the UK's third-biggest city now, ahead of Manchester and Liverpool. I have to say, it doesn't have that big city feel, to me.

Probably the football.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 29 Jul 2018, 01:07

Fawlty Towers - well written comedy but also with fantastic elements of slapstick, the funniest bit in my opinion is when he is up the ladder tapping on the window and he just topples backwards - worthy of a Pink Panther film.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs- sickly sweet

Benny Hill - I like it when he slapped the little bald guy on the head.

tofu - nasty texture, tried it many times, living in Japan for half the year, but never in a format where it was anything better than bearable.

Star Trek - my grandfather wouldn't let me watch it once because Yorkshire were playing cricket on the telly and I cried, I don't think I'd cry these days. I watched a bit of one of the recent films recently but can't remember where, must have been jet lagged on a plane I guess.

Doris Day - I like "Will you still love me Tomorrow", in fact I own an original 7" single of it.

mirror balls - redolent of empty discotheques because that is the only time you notice them

supermarket self-checkouts - the greatest invention of the 21st century, especially when combined with the little guns that tot up your shop. You can pack as you go round and you only need to interact with another human if you buy glue, booze or paracetamol.

football - I tried to watch the Soccer world cup but I don't think I managed a full game, if I'd been watching with another human being I would probably have managed it but I simply don't find the game interesting enough in real time, I will happily watch Match of the Day highlights.

prawn crackers - Ok

Sacha Baron Cohen - enjoy the fact that he does his stuff but often more interesting as an idea than in in practice. I'm glad he is there to puncture the stupidity and pomposity of politicians. I think Chris Morris often does it better because of the sense of the surreal he brings - Shatner's Bassoon - to proceedings and because he doesn't feel the need to be a character drawing out their stupidity he lets them display it solo and that is more powerful.

Leeds - Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! - marching on together.
Last edited by Copehead on 29 Jul 2018, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Jul 2018, 01:50

(not read the thread...)

Fawlty Towers

First series generally very, very funny; second series much less so

Cadbury's Creme Eggs

Not my thing really but if you give me one it will be eaten

Benny Hill

Very funny sometimes. Excruciating sometimes.

tofu

Have generally disliked it, but Michael Hurley's old girlfriend (who I've since lost contact with) fried some thinly sliced tofu up in somethingorother and fed it to me once and it was YUMMY.

Star Trek

Loved the original series as a kid and still recall it with great fondness; for some reason haven't properly revisited it (unlike most everything else I loved as a kid). Saw the first few movies and was mildly entertained but no more than that; haven't seen any of the follow-up TV series or movies.

Doris Day

I used to totally write her off as a singer (aside from "Sentimental Journey"), but it just happens that I've heard more and more of her lately (from hanging around my dad and listening to "his music") and I've ended up deciding that she was superb, even if the material wasn't always worthy. The two movies I tried to watch years ago were so annoyingly stupid I didn't get through them.

mirror balls

Love 'em. Got one in my place of work, although the effect is totally lost during store hours. Great Neil Young album, too.

supermarket self-checkouts

When they were first introduced I was offended by the very idea, but I quickly grew to love 'em.

football

Like most sports I'm capable of enjoying watching it, but very rarely bother to. Never played it, or wanted to.

prawn crackers

Sounds awful.

Sacha Baron Cohen

A woman I know once spent about twenty minutes trying to explain him to me; meanwhile I kept trying, and failing, to explain to her that I understood his humor perfectly - I just didn't think it was funny, and often didn't think it was fair to his targets. (I have not paid any notice to his latest outrages. Should I?)

Leeds

Some good live recordings and some good bands came out of there and that's literally all I know.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 29 Jul 2018, 17:24

Fawlty Towers
Its horrible. None of the characters have any redeeming features. Its the equivalent of The Office.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs
Minging sack of sugar shite

Benny Hill
The idiots comedian.

tofu
Fried with salt and pepper its OK otherwise Its the same as window putty.

Star Trek
Space bollocks

Doris Day
Decent vocalist, mind numbingly dull as an actor

mirror balls
Lame, you need industrial strobes

supermarket self-checkouts
Never use them, I want to support employment and besides I'm not doing shit for nothing wen it comes to multinational shithouses.

football
For wankers, played by wankers.

prawn crackers
Greasy pointlessness

Sacha Baron Cohen
Too clever by half, but not as clever as he thinks he is.

Leeds
I avoid it like the plague. Its in the North so its generally full of twats. Its also in Yorkshire so it has a really high cunt index.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jul 2018, 18:04

Swell Maps wrote:Most surveys put Leeds as the UK's third-biggest city now, ahead of Manchester and Liverpool. I have to say, it doesn't have that big city feel, to me.

The list I just looked at (by population) has it at 8th!

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 29 Jul 2018, 18:36

---
Last edited by Thang-y on 31 Jul 2018, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Jul 2018, 23:25

Fawlty Towers - loved it
Cadbury's Creme Eggs - clever to look at, yecch to eat
Benny Hill - funny shit
tofu - occasionally useful
Star Trek - good show
Doris Day - Whatever she was, she was
mirror balls - magical!
supermarket self-checkouts - I'd rather someone had a job checking me out
football - meh
prawn crackers - ???
Sacha Baron Cohen - sometimes hilarious
Leeds - fucking great album
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jul 2018, 00:37

Fawlty Towers - A comedy that's actually funny. The ratatouille episode is my favorite (Manuel has a pet rat he's named Basil after Fawlty, and basil is also an ingredient in the dish - much hilarity ensues with double meanings for both Basil/basil and rat/ratatouille).

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - Used to be a tradition until I learned I really don't like milk chocolate all that much. And I think as others have said, the "yolks" used to be better.

Benny Hill - I have laughed at it (some of the double-entendres are clever), and he's a decent physical comedian, but it's a bit lower-brow than my usual taste. And in the #metoo generation, I suspect I'd find a lot of it embarrassing.

tofu - Seitan is better, though in certain dishes it works well. Does a decent job of taking on the taste of some things it's cooked with (mushrooms tend to work well), but it's pretty bland on its own. Like eating water, basically.

Star Trek - I've always had lots of Trekkies in my life (my brother and brother-in-law are both huge ones) so I've never had to seek it out. Never been much of a fan myself, but I don't mind it if someone else is watching it or talking about it, which seems to happen just often enough to suit me.

Doris Day - Solid actress, and gave birth to one of my favorite 60s producers. Like her animal rights activism, but not her support of the Bushes. Hoping she's not a Trump fan - I'm guessing no.

mirror balls - Fine as kitsch.

supermarket self-checkouts - This should result in a lower price for groceries any day now, right? Don't mind them, I guess. Just quit pretending they're for my benefit and convenience.

football - What we call football, or what you call football? No matter, both bore me to tears, not being baseball.

prawn crackers - Don't know that I've ever had any. Are they like what we call shrimp chips? I like those OK.

Sacha Baron Cohen - I like watching him make fascists squirm. He's not terribly funny, but that's a valuable skill.

Leeds - Might have passed through it a decade ago, but didn't spend enough time to get a sense. I hear the Who played there once.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2018, 00:59

"The Who live at Leeds? I thought they lived at Shepherd's Bush."
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jul 2018, 14:31

Tofu - In Japan tofu is everyday food eaten in a variety of ways but hardly ever eaten unflavored. My favorite is hiyayaku, a starter dish, which is cold tofu sprinkled with soy sauce, grated fresh ginger, sliced green onion and katsuo-bushi, dried bonito flakes.

Gadfly

driftin

Postby driftin » 31 Jul 2018, 14:49

Fawlty Towers - watched the whole thing when I was a teenager, thought it was great but doubt I'll ever watch a single episode again
Cadbury's Creme Eggs - disgusting
Benny Hill - never watched it properly but I think the much imitated chase sequences with Yakety Sax are stupid and it all seems rather pervy in retrospect
tofu - I eat it all the time so I like it, especially when it's fried and crispy
Star Trek - overall it's fairly enjoyable but only if there's nothing else to watch
Doris Day - no opinion whatsoever
mirror balls - tacky
supermarket self-checkouts - my preferred method of transactions, gets the job done quicker and without the awkward small talk
football - yawn
prawn crackers - used to like them at one point, now I avoid them
Sacha Baron Cohen - he has sporadic moments of excellence but the rest of the time he's pretty annoying
Leeds - been there a few times to see friends, seemed nice

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 31 Jul 2018, 16:20

Rayge wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs - vile. Type 2 diabetes in metal foil

Diamond Dog wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs not very pleasant, are they?

The Modernist wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs - Sickly

Goat Boy wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs - no

Nikki Gradual wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs
Hate them.

Jumper K wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs
Minging sack of sugar shite

driftin wrote:Cadbury's Creme Eggs - disgusting

:?
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 31 Jul 2018, 16:23

Fawlty Towers
I dig it. I like the Orilly Men episode the best.

Sybil once came to my brother's evening GP surgery under her married name so he was none the wiser even tho' the receptionist had whispered to him "she's an actress, you know". He could never watch it as Basil's blowouts reminded him too much of himself, despite being a huge Python fan.
Next morning, he got quite a surprise when he turned on the TV before work to see his patient on fine form in the "On the Bed" interview with Paula Yates on The Big Breakfast show and twigged who she was.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs.

Too sweet by far and the raw egg appearance put me off.

Benny Hill.

Oh no, not a fan except for his cameo in The Italian Job

Tofu

Looks very slimey and unappetising.

Star Trek

NO! Never a fan

Doris Day.

No particular thoughts.

mirror balls.

Of their time, where would disco have been without them...

supermarket self-checkouts.

Very handy for a few items or if you've done a big shop and forgotten something.

football.

whatball ?

prawn crackers.

Delicous!

Sacha Baron Cohen.

Some great early work and continues to surprise and delight. (I must catch up with the show he did last night on C4.)

Leeds.

I went there once to visit my sister at the poly but we didn't hang around & drove out to the Yorkshire Dales .
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 31 Jul 2018, 17:02

Fawlty Towers - I should revisit it, as I haven't watched a full episode in ages.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - Gimme one. I'll eat it.

Benny Hill - I have vague memories of bits of it, but can't recall any sketches, if there were any. Women getting their tits out and some little old guy getting slapped on the head - that's about it.

tofu - It has its uses. I would never make a peanut butter-and-tofu sandwich, though.

Star Trek - The original series and TNG were pretty good.

Doris Day - No opinion.

mirror balls - Who doesn't like mirror balls? They're great!

supermarket self-checkouts - fuck that shit.

football - I enjoy the World Cup when it happens, but wouldn't dream of supporting my local team, as the North American league is dull as shit.

prawn crackers - Are they kind of puffy? If so, I like 'em just fine.

Sacha Baron Cohen - I guess he's good at what he does, but I haven't been interested in seeing anything since 'Borat'. Even the new show looks tedious.

Leeds - Never been.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.