football
prawn crackers
Sacha Baron Cohen
Leeds
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Rayge

Re: what do you think about.....?

Postby Rayge » 28 Jul 2018, 08:34

Fawlty Towers - it was great. Haven't watched a single episode in decades, though

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - vile. Type 2 diabetes in metal foil

Benny Hill - he was sometimes all right back in the day, made the kid and teen versions of me laugh, but looking back, it all feels irredeemably seedy

tofu - it's OK, nothing in itself, depends on how it is prepared

Star Trek - there's too much of it to have a single opinion about it apart from OK, and to get into all the different versions is too nerdy, so I'll pass

Doris Day - Move over Darling is one of the sexiest records ever made

mirror balls - I love them as icons of my personal cosmology

supermarket self-checkouts - never used one. As if we're not alienated enough. fuck supermarkets generally

football - got into supporting Spurs seriously at the same time I was getting into music. Although my interest has waned at time over the years, it's still more interesting to me than music these days

prawn crackers - something to eat in the car on the way home from the takeaway

Sacha Baron Cohen - never watched any of his productions, but get the general impression that he is a totally unfunny dickhead, Ricky Gervais with prosthetics

Leeds - visited a few times in the 70s, never since. What I remembered of it - the market, the centre, the buses, Roundhay Park, Kirkstall Abbey (??), Elland Road – was interesting and engaing. It was the home town of my friend Frankie, who, I discovered a couple of days ago, died at the end of May
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 28 Jul 2018, 08:36

Fawlty Towers - perfection

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - they used to be better but they changed the makeup of the yolk and it's not as good

Benny Hill - I'm too young for that shit

tofu - fuck off

Star Trek - i enjoy watching things that reference it far more than I enjoy Star Trek.

Doris Day - meh

mirror balls - i like em, light refraction is the balls.

supermarket self-checkouts - they're a pain in the arse, always not recognising stuff placed in your bag. Still it beats the monotonous chit chat from the checkout chicks

football - there is goodness in every sport that uses the colloquial term "football" (Australian Rules excepted), and Hull KR won the derby which makes me mighty happy. In "football" football however I sure as shit hope Reading do better than last season, but they can't do much worse

prawn crackers - tasty

Sacha Baron Cohen - Ali G and Borat were great, Bruno was shit, but he has great taste in women though, Isla Fisher is a stunner

Leeds - i spent the vast majority of my solitary visit to Leeds in some random stairwell talking to members of a Mighty Boosh forum my ex was involved in so I couldn't possibly comment.
Last edited by The Red Heifer on 28 Jul 2018, 09:08, edited 2 times in total.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2018, 08:47

Fawlty Towers - still the Gold Standard for Sitcoms. Yes some of it hasn't aged quite as well as others but, even now, the standard of writing is absolutely astonishing. The number of brilliantly funny moments in some of the classic episodes puts everything before or since to shame. I love the mixture of slapstick and wordplay, and I think the way it confronts prejudices is still to be greatly admired.
Cadbury's Creme Eggs not very pleasant, are they?
Benny Hill never did get him, still don't and never will. Horrible, grubby man
tofu never tried it!
Star Trek Liked the original series but everything since - films and variations- has been pointless repetition. A particularly profound programme for me - the first thing on TV I ever watched in colour
Doris Day Not really on my radar. I like Oscar Levant's quote "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin" alot though.
mirror balls yes, so what?
supermarket self-checkouts I use them and invariably wish I hadn't. Plus I know they're a shameless tool to cut jobs
football Still the greatest sport out there, closely follwed by American Football. It's the global thing with the World Cup - nothing else on the planet enraptures people from all walks of life in the same way.
prawn crackers I fucking love them
Sacha Baron Cohen I like Rayge's decsription - perfect.
Leeds Only visited twice in the 70's, for football matches. Grim. Very grim. And football fans from my era all HATE Leeds United FC with quite irrational passion
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 28 Jul 2018, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 28 Jul 2018, 09:43

It's not irrational, Pete.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2018, 10:03

Fawlty Towers
Still funny, although parts of it have dated. It's as much about Cleese's performance as anything. He was so good once.
Cadbury's Creme Eggs - Sickly
Benny Hill - Not that funny, but I kind of like the childlike zeal Hill brings to it. I haven't watched an episode for thirty years though and they're never repeated are they?
tofu - Pointless. Why bother?
Star Trek - I always enjoy it. Great ensemble playing. Was never interested in all the remakes and second generation stuff though.
Doris Day - As good a emblem of 50s Eisenhower America as anyone. Don't think I've ever bothered watching a whole film.
mirror balls - Love 'em!
supermarket self-checkouts - They end up more trouble than they're worth as you seldom get through without having to call the assistant for something or other, but they present the illusion of being quicker.
football - Generally I don't feel as emotionally engaged in it as I once did, but I absolutely loved this year's world cup.
prawn crackers - Good things!
Sacha Baron Cohen - I like some things he's done more than others, but in general I approve. He does make me laugh and some of his ideas are quite clever (he can also be a bit puerile, but you can't have everything).
Leeds - Never been. My image of the city is scarred by the dislikable football team.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jul 2018, 10:22

The Modernist wrote:Leeds - Never been. My image of the city is scarred by the dislikable football team.

I thought of mentioning Dirty Leeds, but to be fair (which they never were), the Revie years were around half a century ago, Devious Don is long dead and his team are dead or decrepit, it all seems a long time to hold grudges - especially for you youngsters who didn't stand on the terraces swearing at them ;) .
Of course if your begrudgements are rooted in the Ridsdale/O'Leary years, fair play, but they've long since mutated from a gang of panto villains through marginal relevancy (got to love, though, how the Wilkinson team stopped ManU grabbing the last Div 1 title) to a comedy club. Personally, I wouldn't mind them getting back into the top flight, along with one or both of the Sheffield clubs, just because it feels right for Yorkshire to have a wider representation than Huddersfield hanging on by their toenails.

And sorry for crapping your thread with football talk, JC :oops:
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2018, 10:26

It's the whole lot Ray! But I'd quite like to see them back too, it feels like they should be there and Biesla in the premiership would certainly be interesting!

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 28 Jul 2018, 12:18

I once bumped into a load of Leeds fans on the way to City's ground. They were a terrifying bunch of thugs and it was very scary.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jul 2018, 12:24

Fawlty Towers - great yeah but I've not seen it in years. Morning Major, morning fawlty!
Cadbury's Creme Eggs - no
Benny Hill - It's funny how some things get written out of history due to changing mores. Growing up he was on telly all the time. I don't know if I laughed much or watched just cos of the nice looking ladies. It's that bawdy English humour isn't it? Like Carry On. Tedious stuff.
tofu - I have no opinion at all. It's only really as good as what it's been flavoured with.
Star Trek - I've seen old episodes that I've enjoyed so I've been meaning to dig further but never have
Doris Day - I've never seen her in anything. Seems like some relic from the 50s before the generational divide
mirror balls - I like 'em
supermarket self-checkouts - unexpected item in bagging area! Fuck off!
football - Loved it growing up. Now only watch it when there's a tournament on really. It's definitely lost something along the way so I'm fairly ambivalent these days but the world cup was great fun
prawn crackers - great! I always eat too many
Sacha Baron Cohen - some good stuff, some bad stuff. I don't think he's a great satirist or anything.
Leeds - I've only been once so no real opinion. It struck me as one of those northern cities that's a mix of decent architecture and appalling stuff from the 60s/70s.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 28 Jul 2018, 12:28

Fawlty Towers – love. My favourite TV show. Every character is wonderful.
Cadbury's Creme Eggs – haven’t had one for years – like them though
Benny Hill – takes me back to simpler, more bigoted times. The weedy old bald geezer always made me laugh.
tofu – it improves if you dry-roast it first, apparently. I occasionally cook with it for my vegan.
Star Trek – like. It blows that ghastly Star Wars franchise muck right out of the ether that’s for sure.
Doris Day – gimme Gladys Knight
mirror balls – I dunno… yes, I suppose so.
supermarket self-checkouts – recipe for chaos
football – like, but not at this time of year. Give it a rest for fuck’s sake.
prawn crackers – Skip dust! Not the Chinese restaurant ones.
Sacha Baron Cohen – I’ve seen bits of his new series and while I don’t think he’ll ever reach the heights of Borat again I have a lot of time for him.
Leeds – don’t know it well – bit of a dump by all accounts – “the Leeds side streets you slip down”.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 28 Jul 2018, 14:04

Fawlty Towers
Immaculate. I am sure it will be deconstructed, reassessed and condemned like Love Thy Neighbour at some point, but nowadays whole rooms stuffed full of the best and brightest comedy writers in the world still struggle to come up with anything half as slick and rounded. I also had a massive crush on Connie Booth.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs
Hate them. Am trying to remember whether I ever actually liked them in terms of taste, but I did eat them as a kid, maybe because there was something so excessive about them that it felt naughty and almost dangerous to be so self indulgent.

Benny Hill
Never found him funny. His “comedy” was force of personality and I never liked his. Now it is just a rather unpleasant sleazefest.

tofu
Nope. This, like haloumi and other foods that squeak on your teeth and have the consistency of rubber, should be uninvented.

Star Trek
Never seen any apart from the original shows and a few movies. S’ok, but...

Doris Day
Have no views or feelings on/about her.

mirror balls
Nothing against them, but would anyone notice if they didn’t exist? They never really seem to fit where they are either, what the fuck is one doing on the cover of Joe Walsh Recorded Live?

supermarket self-checkouts
Fine in theory, but they NEVER bloody work like they are meant to.

football
I like it well enough, but I am not obsessed. I also find it very difficult to be interested in it at international level, but I do love it at club level.

prawn crackers
Great.

Sacha Baron Cohen
He is clearly a dreadful tool, a nasty vindictive piece of work whose only shtick is to humiliate people, but he has many times made me laugh until I cried.

Leeds
Haven’t been for decades, but it a city I would probably like a great deal more if it weren’t for its football fans. They are the Chelsea of the north, just horrible.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2018, 14:14

We're all being remarkably consistent here!
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

joklend

Postby joklend » 28 Jul 2018, 14:18

Fawlty Towers -- I re-watched it with a partner a few months ago who hadn't seen it, which gave me a renewed appreciation. Essentially slapstick farce elevated by good writing.
Cadbury's Creme Eggs -- anyone over the age of 15 who still eats these should re-think things through.
Benny Hill -- can't remember him enough.
tofu -- I've only had it as part of a chinese students' meal. I would consider cooking it myself sometime.
Star Trek -- Always been meaning to watch more of it but I can't get motivated by that kind of sci-fi.
Doris Day -- can't remember her enough.
mirror balls -- eh?
supermarket self-checkouts -- I try to avoid them as much as I can. They're there to reduce staff numbers, not increase your convenience.
football -- the sport itself is brilliant. Some of the things connected to it, not so much.
prawn crackers -- I'm vegetarian, thanks.
Sacha Baron Cohen -- his targets are getting a little obvious. Weird mid-America likes guns and stuff, yeah? I don't think 90s Brasseye-style satire works in the present state of affairs.
Leeds -- Despite being northern I've never spent enough time there to formulate an opinion.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Jul 2018, 16:31

Fawlty Towers I think I like it more and more. It really is wonderful.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - If someone gave me one, I'd happily eat it.

Benny Hill - I don't have much to say about Benny Hill. I only remember it/him vaguely.

tofu - A staple of my diet. It's all in how you make it, I suppose. I'm certainly not against it.

Star Trek - I have no interest in Star Trek and I doubt I ever will.

Doris Day - Nothing to say about her, really.

mirror balls - The more mirror balls, the better.

supermarket self-checkouts - The whole notion is disgusting, but I happily use them when the time and situation is right. Sort of like toll roads.

football - It was a major turning point in my life when my mother forbade me from playing football in the 7th grade, a boy's first opportunity to play organized tackle football with pads and all. It was the only sport I had a reasonable chance at being better than above average. Time and science have proven her to be right about it, but I was bitter for a long time.

prawn crackers - I'll eat anything.

Sacha Baron Cohen - I remember laughing at Borat and Ali G a fair amount.

Leeds - I like Leeds. Lots of sentimental attachment, and I always have fun when I'm there. And it's always good when we can use that airport. It's getting a bad rap here, but I understand there are ancient prejudices at play.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 28 Jul 2018, 18:09

Fawlty Towers - as G says, it's all about Cleese's performance, which is nothing short of miraculous. Whenever I see it now, I watch him the whole time. He's absolutely immersed in it, just spellbinding

The famous 'you started it!' exchange in The Germans - from concept to script to delivery - is absolute and utter genius, one of those rare examples of comedy perfection.

Manuel looks naffer with every passing year, sadly

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - love 'em

Benny Hill - a bit of a dick

tofu - never tried it. Why would I?

Star Trek - couldn't care less

Doris Day - rubbish

mirror balls - yeah - those and coloured lights. And neon signs. Great to have in the house - they can transform a room, have a hell of an impact on mood

supermarket self-checkouts - don't mind them

football - it's the most boring sack of shit ever, and football fans are always complete wankers

prawn crackers - love 'em

Sacha Baron Cohen - some jaw-dropping moments in his new series. He's pretty good and there's still gas in the tank.

Leeds - absolutely bloody stupid
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2018, 18:28

Swell Maps wrote:football fans are always complete wankers[/b]

:lol:
What? All of them?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jul 2018, 19:58

You can never trust anybody who doesn’t like football
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2018, 20:10

Goat Boy wrote:You can never trust anybody who doesn’t like football

Well you can.

You can trust them to a great big useless fucking twat.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 28 Jul 2018, 20:55

Swell Maps wrote:[l]

football - it's the most boring sack of shit ever, and football fans are always complete wankers

:lol:
In a nutshell.