Holidays

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jumper K

Re: Holidays

Postby Jumper K » 22 Jul 2018, 10:25

Now I’ve finished studying this year I’m off to Andaluz for 10 days then 4 days in Huddersfield to watch some cricket. Transylvania in November.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 22 Jul 2018, 10:39

Jumper K wrote:Now I’ve finished studying this year I’m off to Andaluz for 10 days then 4 days in Huddersfield to watch some cricket. Transylvania in November.

The famous home of the undead! I suppose that's because it's in Yorkshire but so close to Rochdale.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 22 Jul 2018, 11:15

Jumper K wrote: Transylvania in November.

I went to Brasov about 10 years ago- in october. We loved it.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 22 Jul 2018, 11:57

Good for you. Best decision I ever made.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 24 Jul 2018, 23:31

Pansy Puff wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Pansy Puff wrote:A week in the Lake District and three days in London. We've had 5 days in Devon already.

and you didn't call in...

;)

Ah...

Yeah. How rude.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 24 Jul 2018, 23:35

Cheshire in September, taking in Liverpool, my mum's old Manc stomping grounds, Port Sunlight, Hack Green nuclear bunker and various other delights.

My exciting new fear of flying has caused a pause in overseas plans temporarily.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 25 Jul 2018, 02:37

I won't lie that I'm very excited to go to South Africa at the end of August. I've gone back every year since I left 24 years ago... but it's always wonderful. I will never get over the food and natural beauty. This year I'm sharing it with some people who have never beeb. One of whom has never even been to Africa. I think it's going to make it extremely special.

But I'm also dreading it. Flights were more expensive than they've been in the past. I've only booked an indirect flight Amsterdam to Johannesburg. I've then booked another internal flight to the coast... But I've yet to book a flight to Amsterdam. 4 flights. Massively expensive. I'm going to be shattered. Plus, because we're going in a very large group, we're trying to coordinate at least 5 separate agrndas. Eurgh... 2 weeks at home just seems like such a better bargain. Fewer elephants, though.

I'm really not sure if holidays are intensely over rated.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jul 2018, 03:57

Last week I went hiking and camping in rainforest covered mountains in Central Phillipines as Tropical Depression Josie hit bringing torrential rain, raging rivers and multiple landslides. Great fun :|

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 25 Jul 2018, 06:57

trans-chigley express wrote:Last week I went hiking and camping in rainforest covered mountains in Central Phillipines as Tropical Depression Josie hit bringing torrential rain, raging rivers and multiple landslides. Great fun :|

Nightmare, Ray. Were you ever in danger?
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Jul 2018, 08:58

trans-chigley express wrote:Last week I went hiking and camping in rainforest covered mountains in Central Phillipines as Tropical Depression Josie hit bringing torrential rain, raging rivers and multiple landslides. Great fun :|

All to help you get over taking your kids soccer team out on a caving trip...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 25 Jul 2018, 10:28

Off to Gran Canaria on Saturday with the wife and 3 boys/men? We normally go with another family but not this year - usually we can just leave the kids to their own devices but this year we've got to keep them occupied and off the wifi!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jul 2018, 10:37

Setting off tomorrow with my wife for four nights and three days at Fuji Rock festival. Neither of us are sure we're up for the throng plus the line up is just so-so, heavy with more Japanese bands than ever. Plus, just heard there is a typhoon headed that way and we'll likely have heavy rains on Sat and Sun. Ganbarimasho!
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 25 Jul 2018, 13:52

Just back (I know you missed me...) from 2 weeks self-catering near Torrevieja on the Costa Blanca.
Great. Relaxing. Wave- riding with my boy who just turned 8. Eating enough, drinking too much.
My wife's folks' place. Small townhouse on a small 70's development.

Just so, so easy.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 25 Jul 2018, 15:33

went to Holland and Germany in June. Wonderful time in the Holland countryside visiting a friend. Then took a train to Frankfurt where we rented a car and drove around the Rein visiting castles and little towns. Also caught the Riesling Wine Festival in Mainz, Germany.

pictures if your interested
https://www.flickr.com/photos/high-tea/albums/72157671108650288

end of august beginning of September I'll make my annual trip to Maine for Lobsters, lake house and oysters.
Adding in two nights at Fenway Park for Pearl Jam (9th row center for nite 1 and 12th row center for nite 2)

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jul 2018, 16:06

Hightea wrote:went to Holland and Germany in June. Wonderful time in the Holland countryside visiting a friend. Then took a train to Frankfurt where we rented a car and drove around the Rein visiting castles and little towns. Also caught the Riesling Wine Festival in Mainz, Germany.

end of august beginning of September I'll make my annual trip to Maine for Lobsters, lake house and oysters.
Adding in two nights at Fenway Park for Pearl Jam (9th row center for nite 1 and 12th row center for nite 2)

Lovely pictures. Thanks.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Jul 2018, 02:52

Jimbo wrote:
Hightea wrote:went to Holland and Germany in June. Wonderful time in the Holland countryside visiting a friend. Then took a train to Frankfurt where we rented a car and drove around the Rein visiting castles and little towns. Also caught the Riesling Wine Festival in Mainz, Germany.

Lovely pictures. Thanks.

thanks Jimbo had a great time it was nice to be back in europe looking at italy for next year.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jul 2018, 01:45

Tonto Papadopoulos wrote:

Nightmare, Ray. Were you ever in danger?

No not really, at least not beyond the dangers of the route and trail itself which was relentlessly steep, slippy and exhausting. We were in good hands with our highly competent guides who knew the mountains like the back of their hand and could take us to alternative safer routes as and when required. It was certainly a more of a challenge than any of us anticipated though. Being permanently drenched and covered in leaches wasn't a whole lot of fun either.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Jul 2018, 01:57

We're going to Melbourne for a week next month so the wife can see a pop art exhibit at the gallery with pieces on loan from the Museum of Modern Art. I'm going to drink beer in a different state. I've had my anti-Victorian shots.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

mission

Postby mission » 30 Jul 2018, 10:23

The view from Perth is that Melbourne is a more desirable destination than Sinny.

I look forward to your unbiased assessment.
Good.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 30 Jul 2018, 10:55

Two weeks in Corsica, same as every year. Marrying a local has its advantages, it's heaven on earth.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"