Thailand cave rescue

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Thailand cave rescue

Postby Samoan » 10 Jul 2018, 12:59

The Navy Seal team in charge of the rescue says that the 12 boys and their coach who were trapped in the cave have been brought out, completing an extraordinary and arduous rescue operation that captivated the world.
The Seals posted to Facebook: "12 wild boars and coach out of the cave. Everyone safe."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-44775149/thai-cave-rescue-no-kid-has-cave-dived-like-this-before

Still awaiting the four rescue divers to emerge.
The final part of the operation will be the emergence of four rescue divers, including one doctor, who remained in the chamber with the boys after they were found.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: Thailand cave rescue

Postby The Prof » 10 Jul 2018, 14:04

Shame it resulted in one death but great news all the same.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Jul 2018, 15:06

I was really convinced it was going to go the other way, so it's a very welcome result.

it just seemed so hopeless, like that Russian sub a few years back, but this is where being cynical really pays off!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2018, 01:02

I'm glad all the kids got out alive, but seeing illustrations of the cave they crawled into after soccer practice, I have been wondering all week why not one kid said, "This is stupid. I'm going home."

Just one.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Jul 2018, 03:16

^^^ I really didn't follow the story closely enough to get much context, but I guess now it's appropriate to ask: wtf were they doing?

I've been to Thailand a few times and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have led any children into any underwater caves under any circumstances.

But all's well that ends well, I guess!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 11 Jul 2018, 14:05

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2018, 17:15

Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I really didn't follow the story closely enough to get much context, but I guess now it's appropriate to ask: wtf were they doing?

I've been to Thailand a few times and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have led any children into any underwater caves under any circumstances.

I hadn't heard this until this morning, but their coach was with them. If I were a parent, I'd demand he not coach anymore.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 11 Jul 2018, 18:11

The rescue operation to free the last of the 12 boys and their football coach from a Thailand cave could have been a disaster, divers have revealed, with water pumps draining the area failing just hours after the last boy had been evacuated.

Thank god it was a success.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Jul 2018, 18:28

sloopjohnc wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I really didn't follow the story closely enough to get much context, but I guess now it's appropriate to ask: wtf were they doing?

I hadn't heard this until this morning, but their coach was with them. If I were a parent, I'd demand he not coach anymore.

I've heard the coach has brought other teams in there in the past and had no problems.

It was a bad call, for sure! Maybe they should have gone in with an umpire instead of a coach.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2018, 19:00

Near our elementary school, we had a big drainage pipe that was big enough to crawl through as a kid. When we were bored in the summer, someone would invariably mention that we should crawl through it. I didn't want to because I said there could be rats or racoons living in there.

We'd usually just throw M-80s in there to hear them explode and echo.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Jul 2018, 20:36

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17548512/thai-cave-rescue-soccer-boys-meditation-buddhism

How did those kids not panic after all that time in probably the most stressful situation you can imagine?

Meditation!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Jul 2018, 14:58

Outside our upstate NY village was long time closed, run down, overgrown by vines and crud beer factory. They had made Blatz Beer back in the day maybe up to World War II. There was no lock so we kids easily entered the big warehouse and commenced to breaking bottles and windows. A feature of this beer was its spring water and outside the factory was a cave from where they drew this precious water. There were boxes of colorful pamphlets which showed the factory in its prime and the cave was central to its advertising. We went into the cave but only got about twenty feet or so where it was dark and the floor was a deep puddle so we chickened out and left. But someone was wondering what crazy shit a band of boys might do. Had we flashlights and boots the big local news story of 1964 might have been my rescue from the old Blatz Beer cave.
Gadfly

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jul 2018, 17:17

bobzilla77 wrote:https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17548512/thai-cave-rescue-soccer-boys-meditation-buddhism

How did those kids not panic after all that time in probably the most stressful situation you can imagine?

Meditation!

I bet they're meditating on cheeseburgers this week.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Jul 2018, 17:37

bobzilla77 wrote:https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17548512/thai-cave-rescue-soccer-boys-meditation-buddhism

Meditation!

Meditation! And (maybe) ketamine! :?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eased.html
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Jul 2018, 21:29

It sounds like they did sedate the kids during the actual extraction, with not everyone agreeing whether they were awake/ conscious or not. Who could blame them? It's so easy to imagine going into a blind panic in that situation.

But for the 9 days they were stuck, it's nice to think about meditation being something that helped them.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Jul 2018, 00:44

More medication than meditation according to local news. A lot of relief being felt among Thai friends, and everyone else too as it was hard not to be swept up by the drama of the whole thing. There’ll be a film inevitably.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » Yesterday, 09:01

Elon Must made a colossal twat if have myself didn’t he?
What an arse.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » Yesterday, 13:50

Umm....yes?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » Yesterday, 14:02

Deebank wrote:Elon Must made a colossal twat if have myself didn’t he?
What an arse.

I read that. Filthy and totally unacceptable.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... do-twitter

I read somewhere else that Vern Unsworth won't let this rest. He seems to stand a good chance to win a court case (sueing for damage recompense), though first Tesla's foreign assets would have to be located (IIRC there is a peculiar rule that protects his US money and goods).

Mind: I'm not anywhere near an expert in these matters.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » Yesterday, 22:03

I’m boycotting Tesla products, from this moment onwards.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."