Creative friends

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Creative friends

Postby Toby » 28 Jun 2018, 16:12

Do you get jealous of them?

Do you tell them what you really think of their efforts?

Rayge

Re: Creative friends

Postby Rayge » 28 Jun 2018, 16:21

Toby wrote:Do you get jealous of them?

Not in the least. I find that creativity is one of the most attractive of human characteristics. I've always encouraged/collaborated with/supported my friends, especially in writing and photography, but also in craftwork, painting and other things I just can't do.

Toby wrote:Do you tell them what you really think of their efforts?

Yes, definitely. To do otherwise would be patronizing in a not-good way. Fortunately, I'm not hyper-critical and none of my friends produces crap.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 28 Jun 2018, 16:26

If you had a good friend who produced something that really wasn't to your taste, what would you say to them?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jun 2018, 16:40

Toby wrote:If you had a good friend who produced something that really wasn't to your taste, what would you say to them?

It would depend entirely on what about it I didn't like. If it were a piece of writing or imagery, I might try to be constructive or at least more detailed in an attempted critique, but otherwise I'd just say it wasn't my thing. To be honest, though, since almost all my writing and photography and otherwise creative friends are of at least 30 years standing, I can't imagine them sharing anything with me that wouldn't be to my (rather catholic and embracing) tastes. If they produced a piece of grand opera or prog, I'd probably be quite rude, but I'm more likely to be exercised by destruction than creativity.
Why do you ask? A dilemma?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jun 2018, 18:23

First, note how many of your creative friends are left-handed. I'll bet they are. Take Harvey K-Tel, arguably the funniest BCBer. I'll bet he's a lefty. Next, my best friend, a lefty, is always doing something interesting. Origami is one of his things, as is sewing. On birthdays he's create these hand made pop-up cards. On and on he goes with the creativity. And he's really funny, always making with the wisecracks! Maybe having funny friends is more important than creative friends. But since good humor and real creativity go hand in hand we righties win!
Gadfly

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 28 Jun 2018, 18:31

Creative friends sounds like one of those offensive euphemisms from the seventies like 'good with colours' or "You know that bloke at number thirty-one? Well I was talking to Edna in the butchers and, well, not to put too fine a point on it, let's just say he knows what's in his flowerbeds, I'll put it no stronger than that."

©Viz
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Jun 2018, 18:40

Most of my acquaintances in LA are creative types of some sort - musicians, writers, chefs or something.

I don't think we get jealous of each other really, though occasionally there might be some "lots of people come to see their band, I can't get 10 people to show up on a Tuesday night" kind of grousing. That's more self-reflection though. I think we tend to appreciate and cheer on our peers' success, for the most part, at least now that we're in our 50s and no longer trying to make a career out of it. And at the same time, punk people aren't shy about taking you down a notch if you start getting too big for your britches.

If the person is nice but their band isn't very good, I might try to find something good to say about it. "Wow, you sure went 'out there' tonight!" "Your bass player is really cool looking." "Damn, you really have a unique vision, you're not pandering to the audience at all. I can't think of any other band that really sounds like you."

Or if it's a chef serving me something I want to spit out, while looking hopefully into my eyes, I might say something like "Wow, that was a bold choice! That's not like anything else I've been served in LA."

Hey, we try to maintain civility and positivity without losing our standards.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Jun 2018, 18:44

As a writer I feel self conscious writng bad reviews. If it's Robert Plant or someone like that putting on a lousy show, that's fair game, but I don't want to be publivly negative towards people who are maybe still finding their way. As such I tend to only write about the stuff I like - I might be nice to a shitty band's face, but I wouldn't want to promote them to my readers.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 28 Jun 2018, 19:09

Toby wrote:If you had a good friend who produced something that really wasn't to your taste, what would you say to them?

I would tell them exactly that: it's not to my taste. It's understood that taste is subjective, and it would relieve you of having to parse your words (which they would spot a mile away) while relieving them of expending the energy of asking you for your opinion (which would be an imposition on you and wouldn't help them anyway). That would be genuinely diplomatic, not that disingenuous "wow, that's... different" crap. A true friend would accept that without taking any offense. I don't expect all my friends to like everything I've created. Even I don't like everything I've created. Eventually you reach a point where it just doesn't matter anymore, and it's okay. You can be indifferent to a friend's creative work and still be respectful about it.

"Quite."

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Jun 2018, 19:31

bobzilla77 wrote:Most of my acquaintances in LA are creative types of some sort - musicians, writers, chefs or something.

I don't think we get jealous of each other really, though occasionally there might be some "lots of people come to see their band, I can't get 10 people to show up on a Tuesday night" kind of grousing. That's more self-reflection though. I think we tend to appreciate and cheer on our peers' success, for the most part, at least now that we're in our 50s and no longer trying to make a career out of it. And at the same time, punk people aren't shy about taking you down a notch if you start getting too big for your britches.

If the person is nice but their band isn't very good, I might try to find something good to say about it. "Wow, you sure went 'out there' tonight!" "Your bass player is really cool looking." "Damn, you really have a unique vision, you're not pandering to the audience at all. I can't think of any other band that really sounds like you."

Or if it's a chef serving me something I want to spit out, while looking hopefully into my eyes, I might say something like "Wow, that was a bold choice! That's not like anything else I've been served in LA."

Hey, we try to maintain civility and positivity without losing our standards.

Creative tiptoeing!
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jun 2018, 22:06

I don't ever tell my creative friends I don't like something of theirs. It may not be to my taste, but that's just my taste and a lot of other folks might think it's great. I know them well enough that they're pretty discerning to know what i might like anyway.

If they insist, I will actually ask them if they really want to know my honest opinion cuz they might not like it. Or phrase it a little more diplomatically.

Some stuff I have better insight into than others - like something written or visual art, where I can comment just enough to be dangerous.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Jun 2018, 20:05

I buy their paintings.