Progress

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Progress

Postby Toby » 26 Jun 2018, 13:44

Are things generally "getting better"?

Do you believe in the general perception that the human race is "progressing" towards an improved state?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Progress

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jun 2018, 13:57

It couldn't get no worse.
a bunch of dudes jamming but some of the abrupt edits serve as a reminder it owes a lot to technology. It finds ***** distancing himself from his musical past, but it sounds equally far from the dense abstraction his music would take on later

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 26 Jun 2018, 14:00

No, of course not.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Jun 2018, 15:07

Yeah, I think there's indicators that things are generally getting better, although obviously it's hard to be specific about anything as sweeping as 'the human race', and it may well only be a better state of affairs for mankind, rather than the planet or the environment.

We seem to be slowly moving away from our old superstitions and dogmatic beliefs around religion, which removes one way of differentiating people, leading to less prejudice on that ground. Obviously, there's a big religious divide between Christianity/The West and Islam, but I think that will dissipate as fewer people become inclined to follow restrictive historic texts. There's generally a wide-spread belief, or at least acceptance, that you shouldn't discriminate based on race, and so practices such as slavery are less widespread than in the recent past. Most countries are quite averse to war since the end of WW2. Of course, there are still regular conflicts, but the major players generally dip their toes into conflicts, the idea of balls-out nuclear destruction is a lingering threat which deters super-power vs super-power conflicts. Also, widespread casualties go down badly with a voting public, and so the west now largely only attack tinpot dictatorships such as Iraq, when they can be sure they pose no significant damage-dealing capabilities. Mass casualty warfare as on previous scales seems less likely, and even invading tinpot dictatorships can no longer guarantee flag-waving nationalist popularity.

I don't think it's an inexorable march to utopia, but I think there's a lot we're moving away from which is positive.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2018, 18:33

Toby wrote:Are things generally "getting better"?

Do you believe in the general perception that the human race is "progressing" towards an improved state?

Worth reading Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari if you’re genuinely interested.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Jun 2018, 19:03

It's on the list but I'm generally cautious with overviews that try to explain such a huge expanse of history. They always cause more problems than they solve in my experience.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2018, 20:57

Toby wrote:It's on the list but I'm generally cautious with overviews that try to explain such a huge expanse of history. They always cause more problems than they solve in my experience.

It’s very good.
The later bits about how we are much better off than ever before are very persuasive - and feed into his follow up Homo Deus.

There are a couple of bits I took issue with but on the whole a very cogent effort.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 27 Jun 2018, 05:54

We have made no progress with pollution. We are all going to drown in a sea of plastic or choke on polluted air. The environment is pretty much screwed and the worse is still to come.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 27 Jun 2018, 10:13

trans-chigley express wrote:We have made no progress with pollution. We are all going to drown in a sea of plastic or choke on polluted air. The environment is pretty much screwed and the worse is still to come.

Yep.

It doesn't matter about the other stuff really.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 27 Jun 2018, 10:20

Pollution is a relatively new concept with regard to the environment though, and it is only in the last 20 to 30 years that its impact has begun to be felt quite properly.

I agree that the worse is yet to come, but I suspect it will be properly addressed in the next generation or two. There are signs that a fight against it has begun - certainly people are aware of its impact far more than, say, 20 years ago.

Personally I think progress is a chimera. We live in a highly scientific age, more so than at any other time, where we map things according to scientific achievements. We live much longer than we have ever do, less people die of disease than ever before, we can go into space etc. But realistically, what are the actual benefits of those things? People live longer so that they end up in homes, live half their lives old, have dementia for years, are a significant drain on the state because of their pensions, and even if we do go into space, it has no practical consequence in many respects. Yes, the technology from the space race has been massively significant, but it has had a terrible impact too.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 27 Jun 2018, 10:42

Toby wrote:Pollution is a relatively new concept with regard to the environment though, and it is only in the last 20 to 30 years that its impact has begun to be felt quite properly.

'properly'!

The hippies were protesting in the sixties that we were destroying our planet! Corporations have been aware of the damaging nature of their practices for longer than that. I remember being at college in 1986 and students were talking about non-chlorine bleached toilet paper and McDonalds packaging giving off dangerous gases.

You might feel the 'impact' only relatively recently, but an enormous amount of damage has already been done - diminishing/extinct species, the depletion of the ozone layer, melting ice caps etc. etc. - and it's now urgent. But because of the essentially selfish nature of governments and corporations, and the blissful ignorance of most of the world's population, I'm pessimistic.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 27 Jun 2018, 10:52

There's a difference between middle-class hippies moaning about stuff and the average person in the street though. I think that the "narrative" of pollution has only recently really been realised at a fundamental level - it seems that the impact of Blue Planet II had a significant effect on how we perceive the impact of plastic.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 27 Jun 2018, 11:06

Toby wrote:There's a difference between middle-class hippies moaning about stuff and the average person in the street though.

Makes no difference to the state of the planet tho'!

I don't really know why you're focusing so much of people's awareness of these issues when that makes no odds. Facts are facts.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jun 2018, 11:29

Toby wrote: Yes, the technology from the space race has been massively significant, but it has had a terrible impact too.

In what way?

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 27 Jun 2018, 12:35

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote: Yes, the technology from the space race has been massively significant, but it has had a terrible impact too.

In what way?

75% of his output post-Space Oddity :(
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Jun 2018, 14:03

The Modernist wrote:

In what way?

Satellite technology has allowed us to see the mess we’ve made for one thing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jun 2018, 14:06

I'm glad I don't have kids put it that way.
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 27 Jun 2018, 14:12

:cry:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jun 2018, 14:16

Climate change is the Big One obviously. How protected we will be in western countries I honestly don't know. Fuck knows the impact on the third world.

It doesn't worry me that much though because it still seems quite abstract and, reasonably, far away. I mean I'll be dead in 40 odd years at best so I'll probably ride it out.

What bothers me more is the shift towards right wing populism at the moment.
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 27 Jun 2018, 14:55

Humanity has not been able to enact any sort of global response to any crisis in its history and I'm not sure it can do so for climate change. Whether it will be the disaster that everyone predicts remains to be seen though. Western civilization has apocalyptic tendencies.