design deterioration

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
DRUGS SNAKE
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

design deterioration

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 25 Jun 2018, 19:12

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:I have no idea what this thread is trying to achieve.

sloopjohnc

Re: design deterioration

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jun 2018, 03:59

Both items I'm buying on my luxurious and carefree AirBnB holiday this weekend.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2018, 09:44

If we're talking about the 3D design of the packaging rather than the decoration then the Coke can has improved tremendously in all the ways that are important to the Coca Cola Company. And to be fair in many ways that are environmentally beneficial.

When the metal accounts for upwards of 90% of the cost of the product (which if my memory serves me right it still does) then obviously cutting down on that commodity (almost always relatively high intrinisic-value aluminium in the US) is a priority. The newer can is produced by a process of draw/redraw which requires no soldered seam - the solder contains lead. The can uses relatively little material. And the can 'end' - the top with the ring-pull - is formed onto the can and has also been designed so that all the metal now stays with the can for recycling - rather than the old tear-off tab which caused a lot of litter - as any fan of Detectorists knows.

The shape of the can itself is optimised for shipping. The most efficient form would be a sphere - in terms of surface area (material) to volume ratio. However, a sphere is impractical in a number of ways - not least in shipping where you would have to also ship a lot of 'void' between the spheres. The can shape is the best compromise - you can pack lots close together while shipping comparatively little 'void' with a good material to product ratio.

Aluminium cans also have a good scrap value thus making them more likely to be recycled compared to the old steel cans.

The packaging director of Coke told me that the ultimate aim of the company was that every home in the world would have a Coke tap in the kitchen... But then one of the techies at BT's labs once told me their ultimate aim was matter transfer. Make of that what you will.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 09:50

What the fuck are you wittering on about now?
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:I have no idea what this thread is trying to achieve.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2018, 09:55

ORORORO wrote:What the fuck are you wittering on about now?

Exactly what you started a thread about you dimwit. You are claiming the designs have deteriorated and I have argued - from my considerable journalistic experience - that in the case of the beverage can this is demonstrably not the case!

Perhaps you should read the post.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Jun 2018, 09:55

Aesthetically the newer Coke can is more pleasing to the eye than the old one. Both contain the same shitty beverage.

Both Corn Flake designs are horrible but the old one comes with free money so wins

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 09:57

I am talking about design, not construction. The look of things.

But blather on irrelevantly if you want...

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2018, 10:05

ORORORO wrote:I am talking about design, not construction. The look of things.

The shape you mean - form follows function - the form is the design - the rest is decoration.

I suggest you change the thread title.

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 10:09

:lol:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Jun 2018, 10:13

Aren't the dates for the coke can the wrong way round?

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 10:15

No.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Jun 2018, 10:31

Ah okay. The 2018 isn't like a new design though - it's almost the same as the 1971 can.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Jun 2018, 12:10

I think design has deteriorated, for packaging anyway. I always think this when I look at old photos. The older designs were sharper and there’s a level of draughtmanship that is missing these days as I guess designs are done on a computer rather than by hand so they become more generic, less singular. I think the general styles have changed too, becoming more cluttered and less memorable. I think that older cornflakes box is vastly superior to the modern equivalent.

I’m not quite sure why that is, apart from recognising that styles change over time and we may not be living in a golden age for this sorta thing. Perhaps the kind of people going into the business has changed over the years after the initial early explosion and artists and creative types are going elsewhere as the industry is simple less appealing to them. I feel this explains, at least partly, decline in other artistic avenues too
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Jun 2018, 12:28

What is the difference between the two boxes? The style is different for sure, but I can see none in the design itself.

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 12:34

One is optimised for shipping.

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 12:58

Goat Boy wrote:I think design has deteriorated, for packaging anyway. I always think this when I look at old photos. The older designs were sharper and there’s a level of draughtmanship that is missing these days as I guess designs are done on a computer rather than by hand so they become more generic, less singular. I think the general styles have changed too, becoming more cluttered and less memorable. I think that older cornflakes box is vastly superior to the modern equivalent.

I’m not quite sure why that is, apart from recognising that styles change over time and we may not be living in a golden age for this sorta thing. Perhaps the kind of people going into the business has changed over the years after the initial early explosion and artists and creative types are going elsewhere as the industry is simple less appealing to them. I feel this explains, at least partly, decline in other artistic avenues too

I couldn't agree more.

I wonder, however, how much of the appeal of the old cornflakes box is due to its novelty (i.e. we're not surrounded by it in 2018) and how much is due to its fundamental aesthetic appeal (the typeface especially).

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Jun 2018, 13:05

Toby wrote:What is the difference between the two boxes? The style is different for sure, but I can see none in the design itself.

Yeah I'm not sure it's the best example really. The use of colour and graphics is actually very similar. I do agree with Dougie's points though.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Jun 2018, 13:06

We pine for things we don't have anymore pure and simple.

DRUGS SNAKE

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 26 Jun 2018, 13:09

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:What is the difference between the two boxes? The style is different for sure, but I can see none in the design itself.

Yeah I'm not sure it's the best example really. The use of colour and graphics is actually very similar.

Yes and no.

Kelloggs have to maintain corporate identity but there are rather obvious differences. The earlier design is chunkier, bolder.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Jun 2018, 13:41

That's a stylistic design though - are you referring to graphic design or actual design of the object?