Depp in Rolling Stone

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Depp in Rolling Stone

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 24 Jun 2018, 19:12

Depp sits at the head of the table and motions toward some rolling papers and two equal piles of tobacco and hash, and asks if I mind. I don't. He pauses for a second. "Well, let's drink some wine first."

This goes on for 72 hours.

I guess some of you have heard about this - you might even have read it (there's a fun article buried somewhere amid the dry factual stuff).

It interests me because a) normally RS doesn't go so deep and so 'raw', and b) celebs these days tend to go for the wheatgerm-and-yoga shit - not this!

How fucked is he?

How inevitable was this?
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Depp in Rolling Stone

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jun 2018, 19:21

I haven't even read your link, but Depp has had the rep of being a big time partier for years now.
Last edited by Matt Wilson on 24 Jun 2018, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking about Mexican food.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Jun 2018, 19:25

Well, I suspect that ‘Fantatic Beasts’ sequel will do well even if protestors show up.
I think the author of the article knows something important — the damage has already been done.
JD might admire people like HST & Keef who can barge on despite what they do and don’t do. He is a box office star. I think the rules are different. I think he thought he was coming off as a cool rebel. Needless to say, he didn’t

He will probably keep working — he’s a very talented actor. He might even win some awards. I think his days being the tent pole in tent pole movies is over.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Jun 2018, 19:32

I read a similar article a year ago right after his divorce was announced. I don't think he gets it.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Jun 2018, 19:37

Dope and wine are both legal (in many states now).

I know plenty of people that use cannabis daily - all the time. I’m just jealous I can’t :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Jun 2018, 19:45

I think it’s the alleged spousal abuse & reports of unprofessional behavior on that last pirates movie that are doing the most damage.

Well, along with how oblivious he seems to come off about himself.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jun 2018, 20:03

Well, I just finished it - very long piece. I skimmed most of the second half. His problems seem entirely of his own doing. As long as the money keeps coming in he'll probably continue to act accordingly. He could write a hell of an autobiography - it would sell too, if he did it now while he's still a big star and not twenty years from now when he'll be a has-been.

Interesting guy though, he seems nice on top of it all, if a tad blissfully ignorant of what goes on around him.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Jun 2018, 20:12

I agree. He does seem pretty easy to get along with even with antagonizing sorts of questions. While I’m a poor judge of such things what surprises me is how many women still seem to swoon over him. His looks have pretty much gone to hell, haven’t they?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 Jun 2018, 20:14

He's a difficult person for me to really speak about objectively, because as he's gone further and further down this sinkhole of heretofore uncharted lameness (I'll use "Disney's Pirates 5" and "Hollywood Vampires" as "we don't have all day" shorthand for his own trajectory of squandered goodwill)...at some point I can only see "Vanilla Ice who sees himself as Neil Young".

His other problems (I certainly read the article ravenously a few days ago) ALSO seem very much of his own making (I see I'm not even the first person to put it this way).

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jun 2018, 21:47

I always liked him and then the allegations from his wife came out and it was like, "he's another one". You can't whitewash that shit

He seems to be similar to Nicholas Cage when it comes to money.

I don't have any sympathy.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Jun 2018, 21:59

Depp is in my claim to fame hall. He was a student at the same school about five years before I was a teacher there. Miramar High School, FLA.
Gadfly

Eddie Shah environment

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 24 Jun 2018, 22:01

Sure the talent's still there but once he had it all, you know?

You wonder if the realisations that would come with a day of sobriety would be too much for him. I mean that completely sympathetically.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Eddie Shah environment

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 24 Jun 2018, 22:02

Goat Boy wrote:I always liked him and then the allegations from his wife came out and it was like, "he's another one". You can't whitewash that shit.

She did drop the allegations.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jun 2018, 22:09

ORORORO wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I always liked him and then the allegations from his wife came out and it was like, "he's another one". You can't whitewash that shit.

She did drop the allegations.

Maybe she just wants to move on you know? If you read what her friend says in that article then...
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Eddie Shah environment

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 24 Jun 2018, 22:17

Yeah.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jun 2018, 23:29

Lots of our heroes were women-beaters, unfortunately. Steve McQueen, James Brown, John Lennon... Remember when Connery said in an interview that it was okay to hit a woman as long as she deserved it, or something along those lines? I still know women who have never forgiven him for that.

caramba

Postby caramba » 25 Jun 2018, 09:21

Can't remember the last time Depp was the lead in a film that either got any kind of critical kudos or did respectable business at the box office.

Eddie Shah environment

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 25 Jun 2018, 09:27

He was very good in Black Mass (2015) - certainly the lead in that, and from what I remember the reviews were positive.

Since then, he's definitely starred in at least one Pirates of the Caribbean, which did good business.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Jun 2018, 12:22

sneelock wrote:I agree. He does seem pretty easy to get along with even with antagonizing sorts of questions. While I’m a poor judge of such things what surprises me is how many women still seem to swoon over him. His looks have pretty much gone to hell, haven’t they?

Affirmative, his salad days are over but he was mighty easy on the eye in days of yore.

I'm okay with him as he's a huge fan of The Fast Show to the extent that he appeared in it for free although legal/insurance said they had to cut him a cheque for £1. It was all very hush hush with his changing room door labelled "Juan Profundo".

Johnny Depp

In Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Jack Sparrow quotes the show, the Rowley Birkin line "... and then they made me their chief!". In a deleted scene of the movie, Sparrow also uses the Mark Williams catchphrase "I'll get me coat."
Johnny Depp is a major fan of The Fast Show and an ardent admirer of Paul Whitehouse, whom he once described as "the greatest actor in the world".

In 2000, Depp made a cameo appearance as the hapless customer in the 'Suit You, Sir' sketch in the Fast Show farewell special, and in a 2015 interview, he commented: "It was absolutely one of my proudest achievements. No question. It was one of my favourite things, to have been on the last Fast Show."[10]

Depp's 2015 movie Mortdecai features Paul Whitehouse
in a minor role and has been noted for alluding to Fast Show characters.[11][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fast_Show

Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 25 Jun 2018, 13:28

ooohhh edgy, Johnny takes drugs and admires other edgy folk that take drugs.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.