in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
echolalia

Re: hotels

Postby echolalia » 26 Jun 2018, 14:33

sloopjohnc wrote:
ORORORO wrote::)

I think he has SHARES in AirBnB

It's privately held.

I expect it will go public sooner or later, à la facebook.

In Lisbon the rentier class has gone into an air bnb feeding frenzy. It’s very ugly. People are being evicted from their homes by the entire floor and tenement to make way for “renovations”. The landlords often use coercive practices to get rid of unwanted tenants, like cutting the electricity off or – in one case I heard of, a six-storey walk-up apartment block – removing the banisters from the staircase.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 26 Jun 2018, 14:39

It's a terrible thing and I think many major European cities are facing the same problems now.

I was reading about how tourists were desecrating the Alfama district. It's tragic.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Robert

Postby Robert » 26 Jun 2018, 14:42

echolalia wrote:
Deebank wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
You guys don't think any of this stuff happens in hotels?

While I hesitate to mention it, just the 'spunk-stained mattress' thing...

I mean, you're hardly likely to book an AIrBnB for a casual sexual liaison.

Then there are the hidden cameras...

https://imgur.com/gallery/B4ykzdV
Last edited by Robert on 26 Jun 2018, 14:43, edited 2 times in total.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 26 Jun 2018, 14:43

I think the authorities in Barcelona are about to introduce a moratorium on new hotels. The locals are fed up with tourist hordes.

What can be done? Everybody wants to see these places!
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Jun 2018, 14:51

There's going to be a reckoning.
San Francisco's pulling the plug on it..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/16/airbnb-booking-cancelled-last-minute-holiday-wrecked
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jun 2018, 18:53

echolalia wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
ORORORO wrote::)

I think he has SHARES in AirBnB

It's privately held.

I expect it will go public sooner or later, à la facebook.

In Lisbon the rentier class has gone into an air bnb feeding frenzy. It’s very ugly. People are being evicted from their homes by the entire floor and tenement to make way for “renovations”. The landlords often use coercive practices to get rid of unwanted tenants, like cutting the electricity off or – in one case I heard of, a six-storey walk-up apartment block – removing the banisters from the staircase.

San Francisco had to set up lots of rules re: Air BnB owners.

According to Samoan's link, it seems it's backfired a bit on visitors.

In the valley, they like to call it "disruption."
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 28 Jun 2018, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Jun 2018, 00:18

Business or pleasure, mostly?

Roughly an equal amount, some vacation travel, some eork travel, sometimes touring with the band.

What's the best? worst? what do you expect from them?

Best - ideally I would like to have a sleeping area, a working/reading area, and maybe a balcony to get some fresh air. Generally what makes me go "OOH this is a nice one!" is the quality of the bath/ shower. If I have time to swim, then a nice swimming area - not too crowded. Jacuzzi jets? Brilliant!!!

I'd like a working TV with basic cable and access to Internet TV so I can watch youtube & Netflix vids along with broadcast TV. Movies for rent - good ones, that I want to see now, at a reasonable price? Even better.

If they have an actual edible breakfast spread included in the price, and it is available until 11am, I am best pleased.

Worst - the room is too uncomfortable to get a good night's sleep. Maybe there's noise, or the people creep me out, maybe it's impossible to get the temperature right, maybe the sheets are so full of bleach they irritate my skin. But I mainly need the room for sleeping in.

One of the pads we played on tour this spring, they wanted to sleep in the club in a room that smelled, rather strongly of mold. We managed to find another place to stay that night.

Ever complained? why?

I'll ask for another room if it's loud, or the TV doesn't work.

I once ended up in what must have been a hooker pad in Oklahoma City, I was too dumb to notice when I checked in, just saw it was a couple bucks below Motel 6 (now, one of my warning signs.) The first room, the air conditioner had been ripped out of the wall and there was debris in the bathtub. The guy at the desk said "never had complaints about THAT room." He put me in another one where the shower had tiles missing and there was insulation leaking from the wall into the tub. I slept with my coat and shoes on and left early.

One time we checked into a Motel 6 and not only had the room not been cleaned, it was covered in dog hair! They gave us another room right away but I was wondering how that one slipped through!

How long have/could you hole(d) yourself up? where? why?

I've done stays in one place for roughly a week to ten days. I could potentially do it for longer if the place was nice and the city was interesting.

Ever worked in one?

Nope.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.