RIP Koko

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

RIP Koko

Postby Rayge » 22 Jun 2018, 09:37

This is going to seem like a troll to many (and no doubt a personal attack by the Paranoid Pooch), as I've never mentioned on the board before my love of gorillas, or the reason for it (you'll have to read the novel for that :)), nor my lifelong interest in inter-species communication, but I truly found news of her death affecting. Unlike several of the human celebrities who have died recently, I've not only heard of her, but actually felt I knew her, and certainly admired her.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ad-aged-46
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

never/ever

Re: RIP Koko

Postby never/ever » 22 Jun 2018, 10:54

It's a terrific story. The docos I seen on her were extraordinary. The versatility she shown in communicating went beyond sign language- she may have had also have a sense of humour. When asked: "What can you think of that is hard?" Koko replied: "Rock and work." Another time she tied up her trainer's shoelaces and then signed the words: "Chase me."

A gentle soul too, looking at her treatment of kittens which she even helped to raise.

RIP.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 22 Jun 2018, 13:29

Yes, I feel very sorry for Penny Patterson today.

I follow her youtube channel. Koko was extraordinary. Or more correctly the communication opportunity with Koko was extraordinary. At a high cost for her - her kittens were surrogate babies for her, her yearning to be a mother came across very strongly in the documentaries. As well as her intelligence.

Koko - the fine person gorilla

Koko and Robin Williams

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Jun 2018, 16:45

I find this news very sad as well. Definitely one of those deaths where the world seems diminished as a result.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2018, 16:59

Koko has been in the background of the Bay Area landscape for years and I first heard of her when I was in elementary school.

She was born in the SF Zoo, lived at Stanford for a long time (five miles down the road from my hometown), and then lived in a facility in the Santa Cruz Mtns. after that.

I don't remember a time when she wasn't around. Even my son expressed sadness when he learned about her dying.

She was one of those fixtures of the area you always thought would be around. Like Willie Mays.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Jun 2018, 01:51

Now I'm saddened. The Robin Williams video is a must see.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"