Vandalism

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
pcqgod

Vandalism

Postby pcqgod » 18 Jun 2018, 18:49

Ever engaged in it? Ever been hurt by it? Are there examples of vandalism that you find creative or funny?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Re: Vandalism

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Jun 2018, 19:28

I was a willing participant in junior high and high school.

Senior year of high school, every class staged a senior prank. The class ahead of us put car tires over the flagpole, which I thought was pretty good.

My friends decided it would be a good prank to do a Charles Manson type paint spree as a senior prank. I thought it was stupid, so declined to participate. Within a day, they were all called into the vice principal's office, accused, and gave it up pretty quick. All but my friend J, who was called in last, and even when he saw all his co-conspirators in the office, told the vice principal he didn't know what she was talking about. That is, until my friend Dave gave him up.

They spent a week sandblasting all the paint off the walls and ground, and if they didn't, couldn't graduate with the rest of the class. They thought it made them look cooler - I thought it made them look stupider.

I haven't really vandalized anything since then.

I guess my first case of vandalism was in 6th grade when Ricky Frazier and I walked downtown to buy candy and baseball cards. We stopped to rest right outside a big park that was a shortcut to get to his house. We threw rocks at a guy's window, broke it, and ran like hell.

On the other side of the park, a man stopped us and asked us if we had broken his window. We said we didn't know what he was talking about. I don't think he quite believed us, but what could he do?

In high school, we used to steal fire extinguishers from apartment complexes and spray people with them from our car. That was on Friday nights when we were really bored.

One Friday night, I didn't go out with them. The next morning, every one of my neighbor's front car windshields had been broken with big rocks and bricks. Except ours. The neighbors accused me, but I could rightfully say I was home all night and my parents could attest to it.

Those are just a couple stories I remember.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Jun 2018, 20:10

I like re-purposed advertising billboards. That's fair game - I hate looking at adverts and I like looking at street art. As far as I'm concerned, the artists have as much right to get in my face as the advert people do.

I've seen some attempts at doing gigs in different or unusual locations, that got harmed by people fucking up the gig space and failing to respect the place they were in.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 18 Jun 2018, 20:30

http://www.ampthillrufc.com/web/?p=9212
Ampthill Rugby Club Vandalised, Reward For Information Leading To A Conviction

Vandalism resulting in the serious damage to the Team Dugout Shelters and the Tea Hut on number one pitch occurred last weekend. Fuel for the generators was then stolen and used to set part of the Firs on fire.

With 600+ children aged 7 to 17 registered, Ampthill Rugby is the largest youth single sporting organisation in Bedfordshire. A further 300+ adult members give up a huge amount of time, effort and money maintaining and continually improving the club and its facilities. Mindless criminal behaviour cannot be condoned, there is a reward available for information leading to a conviction of those responsible.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Jun 2018, 21:09

pcqgod wrote:Are there examples of vandalism that you find creative or funny?

Kids often do graffiti on overpasses and sound walls, like they do everywhere else I suppose. Some of it's good.

kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 18 Jun 2018, 22:24

Old Lownsdale’s activities this morning have cast a pall over YY.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Jun 2018, 23:31

sloopjohnc wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Are there examples of vandalism that you find creative or funny?

Kids often do graffiti on overpasses and sound walls, like they do everywhere else I suppose. Some of it's good.

I like when people vandalize signs to change the meaning or add a humorous touch. There's a "end school zone" sign at a local school where someone painted over the word "zone" with black paint so it just reads "End School." If someone's ever tried to remove the paint, they haven't been successful; it's been the same for months. Also, someone cleverly altered a 30 mph sign to read 80 mph in a residential neighborhood!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 18 Jun 2018, 23:33

A funny idea but I don’t see how they could stretch it over a season.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

joklend

Postby joklend » 19 Jun 2018, 14:10

I spray painted the lyrics to New Dawn Fades on the side of a metal foundry's back lane years ago.

A few years later there was far-right graffiti down the same lane which I painted over with bright red hammer and sickles. Not that I was ever really a Bolshy, I just wanted to piss them off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Jun 2018, 14:32

Copehead wrote:http://www.ampthillrufc.com/web/?p=9212

Vandalism resulting in the serious damage to the Team Dugout Shelters and the Tea Hut on number one pitch occurred last weekend. Fuel for the generators was then stolen and used to set part of the Firs on fire.

With 600+ children aged 7 to 17 registered, Ampthill Rugby is the largest youth single sporting organisation in Bedfordshire. A further 300+ adult members give up a huge amount of time, effort and money maintaining and continually improving the club and its facilities. Mindless criminal behaviour cannot be condoned, there is a reward available for information leading to a conviction of those responsible.

I blame Flitwick!
I bet Chris Chopping has something to do with it...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 19 Jun 2018, 14:54

The Hebrew school I used to attend after regular school was held in a social hall and there was a closet full of these wooden stacking chairs. How ingenious we must have been for we found out if you smashed the leg of one chair onto the seat of another chair you made a nice hole in the seat. God knows how many perfectly fine chairs we wrecked.
Gadfly

joklend

Postby joklend » 19 Jun 2018, 18:10

joklend wrote:I spray painted the lyrics to New Dawn Fades on the side of a metal foundry's back lane years ago.

A few years later there was far-right graffiti down the same lane which I painted over with bright red hammer and sickles. Not that I was ever really a Bolshy, I just wanted to piss them off.

I've found an old pic

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Jun 2018, 18:27

Never done it nor remember being hurt by it, but I've been enjoying, and taking pics, of graffiti for more than 30 years.
Sorry to read this this morning
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ain-london
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 Jun 2018, 18:36

joklend wrote:
joklend wrote:I spray painted the lyrics to New Dawn Fades on the side of a metal foundry's back lane years ago.

I've found an old pic

I carved the same lyrics into a bench in the Grant Institute of Geology lecture theatre in 1984.

I went back for my 30 year reunion last year and you know what....?

There was an entirely knew set of benches in there.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 Jun 2018, 18:37

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:http://www.ampthillrufc.com/web/?p=9212

I blame Flitwick!
I bet Chris Chopping has something to do with it...

Oh Flitwick without a doubt, and possibly Chopping, I'd need to know his whereabouts that night certainly.