Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Anthony Bourdain RIP

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Jun 2018, 13:03

Jesus. I can’t believe it.
Apparent suicide
I’m mortified.
RIP
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Re: Anthony Bourdain RIP

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 08 Jun 2018, 13:17

oh my God
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jun 2018, 13:47

It's crazy, first Kate Spade, yesterday the sister of the Dutch Queen and now him, all suicide.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 08 Jun 2018, 13:52

He’s been on my TV for the better part of 15 years now and he’s been getting better and better—he was turning into this country’s best international ambassador (not to give faint praise). There’s a lot you could say, but ultimately it just comes down to what the fuck. What a dreadful situation.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Jun 2018, 13:53

Sad. Further proof that the rich and famous aren't immune from the tougher challenges of life, or have the same mental health issues.

I hope places like this offer some sort of outlet or support, as abstract as it can seem at times.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Jun 2018, 14:06

Very sad, have been a big fan of his food shows. Was bummed last year when we heard he cancelled his NY food market. Now to hear he took hi life - very sad.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 08 Jun 2018, 14:28

Terrible.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Jun 2018, 15:35

Fugu?
Gadfly

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Jun 2018, 15:39

Pardon?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

fange

Postby fange » 08 Jun 2018, 15:53

Very sad. :(

RIP
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Jun 2018, 16:30

Minnie the Minx wrote:Pardon?

Blowfish.
Gadfly

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Jun 2018, 16:32

Jimbo wrote:

Blowfish.

I know what it is, I was wondering why you had added it to this thread?

Dr Markus wrote:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Jun 2018, 16:56

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Blowfish.

I know what it is, I was wondering why you had added it to this thread?

Oh, am I not sufficiently mournful? Bu hu. A guy from the TV died, maybe killed himself. Maybe he, a famous gourmet, ate a bad blowfish is all I'm saying. Sheeit. You know how many people kill themselves, non-celebrities, of course.

United States military veteran suicide[1][2] is an ongoing phenomenon regarding a reportedly high rate of suicide among U.S. military veterans, in comparison to the general public.[3] According to the most recent report published by the VA in 2016, which analyzed 55 million veterans' records from 1979 to 2014, the current analysis indicates that an average of 20 veterans a day die from suicide.[4]
Gadfly

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Jun 2018, 17:07

Every morning Jimbo, you rise, belch and wiggle your fingers in anticipation of continuing to maintain your favoured online persona - an agent provocateur / lovable rogue hybrid - without actually ever achieving either. You hover instead in the bubble of eternal, half formed man child, surrounded by the comfort of your half baked thoughts, poking your thumb into the deaths of others with as much care as treading on a beetle.

Bourdain went to his bedroom hours ago, thought about his family and daughter and friends and all the places he wouldn’t see again and still felt ghastly enough to go through with it. I ache for him when I think of it.

Then I think of you, pushing the ‘submit’ button in your underpants and thinking you’ve done a good job.

What a shameful excuse of a human being you truly are. Go and fuck yourself, you lowlife.

Dr Markus wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Jun 2018, 17:10

Fonz wrote:Sad. Further proof that the rich and famous aren't immune from the tougher challenges of life, or have the same mental health issues.

My family are big fans - ex, son and daughter. My son is a burgeoning cook and loves creating stuff in the kitchen. Bourdain was an inspiration to him.

On Twitter, people were incredulous with lots of them saying they wanted his life.

I always think of the poem, Richard Cory, when people say that. He also had an 11 year old daughter. I have a buddy whose dad committed suicide when my friend was 14 - he discovered him when he returned from school and it haunts him to this day. He's a great dad and channeled the negative to a positive and has used his experience as motivation. This might not be dramatic, but kids tend to think weird things like this happen to their parents.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Jun 2018, 17:23

I loved Kitchen Confidential, such a breath of fresh, or foul fetid, air for food and restaurants writing.
His TV was fantastic too he was obviously fascinated by other people and their cuisines and his passion and celebration of that really came across.
How terribly sad.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jun 2018, 17:38

To be candid, I've never heard of the gentleman.

I don't think Jimbo's reference (from Wiki*) about the frequency and numbers of suicides amongst US Forces veterans is out of place and is very sad and shocking to hear about.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_veteran_suicide
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Jun 2018, 18:19

Samoan wrote:To be candid, I've never heard of the gentleman.

I don't think Jimbo's reference (from Wiki*) about the frequency and numbers of suicides amongst US Forces veterans is out of place and is very sad and shocking to hear about.

My only problem, and it's not really a problem, is Jimbo limits it to veterans, when ironically, a nationwide suicide report was just released and stories in the front pages today: https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/medica ... 975876.php

It's not just veterans. And since Bourdain didn't serve, it's only vague relation on his death.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jun 2018, 18:34

sloopjohnc wrote:

My only problem, and it's not really a problem, is Jimbo limits it to veterans, when ironically, a nationwide suicide report was just released and stories in the front pages today: https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/medica ... 975876.php

It's not just veterans. And since Bourdain didn't serve, it's only vague relation on his death.

You read my mind kinda.

I was coming back to my post to add that my cousin's husband took his own life about 10 days before Christmas in 2012, leaving behind her and their three daughters, my second cousins, one of whom was first time pregnant.
He had a very sad start in life. At aged 8, he and his younger sister were left orphaned when a new type of aeroplane on which both their parents were passengers, about to begin it's maiden flight caught fire and exploded on the runway (This was sometime in the 50s and I believe it was at London Heathrow airport ) with no survivors. The children were brought up by an aunt and other relatives.
( The cause was squarely the aeroplane manufacturers and funds were placed in trust for them from a huge compensation payment.)
Last edited by Samoan on 08 Jun 2018, 19:14, edited 4 times in total.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 08 Jun 2018, 18:35

He was a cook who made himself into a writer who made himself into a television personality and celebrity, I suppose.

I think this was the piece that led to a book deal:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999 ... ading-this

His television shows began with him traveling the world and eating food and got better and better. His shows still featured food, but they are more and more about people—from West Virginia, the Bronx, Armenia, Houston ...

For instance:

NYT wrote:In 2011, “No Reservations” went to Haiti, which was recovering from a devastating earthquake. The resulting episode was remarkable and layered, examining not only the nation’s poverty — reflected, as it often is, by dishes that are the result of getting by ingeniously with little — but also whether the show itself was contributing to the problem by engaging in misery tourism.

Mr. Bourdain didn’t have an easy answer. This was one thing that made him such a good journalist. He accepted that he didn’t already know everything, he assumed that he might screw up, he went into every encounter believing that people had something to teach him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/arts ... death.html
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.