How cultured do you think you are?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Fonz

Re: How cultured do you think you are?

Postby Fonz » 30 May 2018, 12:50

“Rhymes”

And for the real culture vulture award, who can tell me where that quote, in some sort of context, came from?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 May 2018, 12:52

I appreciate interesting metaphors and similes in my fiction but maybe the only actual poetry I ever truly enjoyed was Langston Hughes'.
Gadfly

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 30 May 2018, 13:00

Toby wrote:How cultured do you think you are?

My dad's from Oldham.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 May 2018, 13:35

Goat Boy wrote:
*googles wiki*

Literature – poetry, novels, drama
Performing arts – music, dance, theatre
Visual arts – drawing, painting, photography, ceramics (lol), sculpture, architecture, filmmaking etc

Poetry - nope. Just never got me and I have tried.
Novels - not now. I used to read loads of non fiction up until around 20 years ago. Now I rarely do - I guess I just got 'serious' and decided I only wanted facts about history and people :)
Drama - as above.

Music - obviously. I still spend an inordinate amount of my life listening to/talking about music. I also still spend way too much money on it too.
Dance - I love choreography in musicals.I love the elegance of great dancers and how they can portray the most difficult things via dance. I don;t really understand it - but I love to watch all types of dance.
Theatre - I go to three or four musicals a year. I have started to go and see Shakespeare at least once a year. So I suppose that's a yes.

Drawing - yes. I went to a Raphael exhibition in Oxford with Brotherlouie last year, for instance.
Painting - Very much so. I must have at least 70 different books on painters/painting and go to exhibitions/galleries at least once every two months, I'd estimate.
Photography - I like it, but rarely find it grabs me the way that paintings do, for instance.
Ceramics - I like my Clarice Cliff and William Moorcroft as much as the next person, but it's not a fascination of mine.
Sculpture - I should like more, but rarely do.
Architecture - Has become kind of an obsession with me the past 20-25 years. I read about it a lot, and find the combination of engineering/architecture/design (I realise they are different entities) fascinating.
Films - I rarely watch films now. In fact, that's been the case for (probably) 20-25 years or so. No idea why - I just stopped doing it (I think it may have been the time commitment when we had the girls) and I really haven't ever felt the need to get back to it.

Does glassware count? I'm a huge fan of Lalique, Tiffany & Faberge - when you actually see the glassware up close, it's absolutely breathtaking.

Cultured? One step up from the petri dish, me.
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 30 May 2018, 14:15

BOLLY BEE wrote:You're dead right about poetry. My Dad taught it for years and he always said the same thing.

That it's "dull and uninvolving"? :?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 30 May 2018, 14:21

Diamond Dog wrote:Cultured? One step up from the petri dish, me.

:)
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 30 May 2018, 14:40

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:You're dead right about poetry. My Dad taught it for years and he always said the same thing.

That it's "dull and uninvolving"? :?

hippopotamus wrote:T.S. Elliot has an essay where he talks about why so many people have a problem appreciating poetry when its something that is made for enjoyment. He says it's akin to Audience Fright. You feel you're supposed to get a certain something out of it, and you're trying so hard that you forget that you are allowed to feel anything you want out of it.

then, BOLLY BEE wrote:You're dead right about poetry. My Dad taught it for years and he always said the same thing.

And it's a pretty diverse genre anyway. Just think of it as short stories broken up.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 30 May 2018, 14:48

Ah, sorry. I thought you were responding to Goat Boy's post.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 30 May 2018, 14:56

If you were cultured you could’ve made your apology into a poem.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 30 May 2018, 14:59

I’m the most culturous people in here, innit.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 May 2018, 15:08

A Flower

A Poem by Jimbo

…….. uh …..
……..duh …..
……..um …..
……..hmm …..

The end
Gadfly

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 May 2018, 15:16

Jumper K wrote:I’m the most culturous people in here, innit.

Define "culturous."

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 30 May 2018, 15:23

Nothing Canestan wouldn’t sort out.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 30 May 2018, 16:33

[Literature – poetry, novels, drama

Poetry - I like some 20th century poets - Thom Gunn, Ted Hughes, Patrick Kavanagh - not that bothered about stuff before that, absolutely adore Philip Larkin.
Novels - very middlebrow, Ian Rankin, Bernard Cornwall, Hilary Mantell is about as highbrow as I go, I like a page turner.
Drama - I like the theatre just not enough to go regularly when I do go I love it, watching Copenhagen was one of the best nights out I've ever had.

Performing arts – music, dance, theatre

Popular music in all its forms obviously, from prewar blues and Jazz to contemporary stuff, I like the popular classics of classical music, the sort of tunes used in adverts in the 70s.
Dance, I have no time for it, I'd prefer to watch sport to appreciate the human form in motion.
Theatre - see drama above.

Visual arts – drawing, painting, photography, ceramics (lol), sculpture, architecture, filmmaking etc

I like going to art galleries and if I have time on my hands and nothing to do I will often seek on out. Last big exhibition I saw was Monet and Architecture which was absolutely sublime.

Ceramics - love Japanese ceramics and the art pottery influenced by them, so simple and perfect, big fan of Ruskin as well to the point of owning a couple of pieces, but love art glass even more - Holmegaard, Orrofors, Kosta Boda, some Whitefriars, Wedgewood/Stennett-Wilson ( I have 4 Sheringham candle sticks of various sizes), Medina, Steven and Williams.
Glass is beautiful and still pretty affordable.

Sculpture - doubt I'd go to an exhibition but nice wandering around a place like Florence and seeing it in situ.

Architecture, love it, love a good building from any age

Film - pretty much a blockbuster/rom com/super hero/comedy sort of guy

As I said: middle brow and proud.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 30 May 2018, 17:32

gash on ignore wrote:If you were cultured you could’ve made your apology into a poem.

As I quickly scanned
the words on a screen
my eyes passed over
words barely gleaned

the lines had got crossed
and blurred by mistake
like fine silver threads
in an old proggers cape

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 31 May 2018, 00:21

Poetry - I love it. It started when I was small with the Jabborwocky, and probably was at its height when I dated an Irish poet for a spell, and went to local poetry festivals, and book signings. I don't have a lot of Depth of Knowledge, but I go through little obsessions with one poet and then go onto the next. I think poetry has a way of describing something deep and important in one or two words, that help you give expression to these things that otherwise you wouldn't know how to describe.

Novels - I read more than most people who don't read a lot, and less than people who read a lot. I am that girl who steps off the train/bus/sidewalk too busy reading to stop, but experienced enough to walk at an appropriate pace, and avoid lamp-posts. My bookshelf is my biggest joy. I collect lovely editions. I try and read all the books I should, but it's hard when there are so many books I want to read. I am not That great at modern authors, but I do my best.

Drama - Much less than musical theatre/dance. I used to go to a lot more. Probably just once a year.

Music - Probably much less than most people here. But I play 3 instruments, and I have sung professionally and semi-professionally since I was in high school. I'm comfortable talking about music in most genres. Again, probably weakest when it comes to newer things.

Dance - I did a lot of ballet, and in the last few years took up Swing and Blues dancing. I love watching Ballet, but don't know a lot beyond that with regards to dance.

Theatre - Musicals (as opposed to Drama above?) I obviously used to perform in one every 6-8 weeks. But now that I'm performing less I have to get my kicks as an audience member. I'll probably go to 3-4 a year. I love it SO much. My knowledge of it is a bit variable. I know a lot when it comes to the history and evolution of Musicals from Gilbert and Sullivan through to about the 60's then I get a bit patchy.

Drawing - I used to draw a lot. I will go to an exhibit of drawing when I see it. I don't know much about The Cultural World of drawing, if that exists.

Painting - I also love painting. I studied art history a while ago, and managed to get a good basis for figuring out what I liked, and don't like and where everything sort of fits in the history of things. I love that museums and galleries are free. I love frequenting the local galleries til I know every painting. I make up my own little tours for when people visit. I love going to museums and galleries when I travel. I love how collections get collected, and how they must have inspired all the generations that have come to see them.

Photography - I did a course once, before digital photography, with all the chemicals and dark rooms and everything. I like it, but I don't know much about it

Ceramics - I know NOTHING about this (except the Meissen stuff in Saxony. I doubt that counts.)

Sculpture - I like Rodin

Architecture - My knowledge begins and ends with Frank Lloyd Wright and Charles Mackintosh

Films - I'm good from 1925 (ish) to 1965 (ish)... and then again from when I became consciously aware of films to present day.
1970s and 80s are a big hole for me. I own more books about film than any other Art category.

Looking at this I think I'm probably much less cultured than the average BCBer. But maybe we're a cultured lot.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

joklend

Postby joklend » 16 Jun 2018, 15:31

I probably have a broader knowledge of arts/literature than most of the people I grew up with but does that make me "cultured" in the traditional sense? Is it only a basis of what books you read, or is it what circles you can move into? Does being "cultured" mean denying one's roots and experiences?

I don't know. I just like what I like, whether its Renaissance polyphony or Viz magazine.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 16 Jun 2018, 15:56

BTW. I have very recently subscribed to the London Review if Books in a vain attempt to be more informed and cultured.

But the world cup is on, so most of my attention is there.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jun 2018, 17:57

Pansy Puff wrote:BTW. I have very recently subscribed to the London Review if Books in a vain attempt to be more informed and cultured.

But the world cup is on, so most of my attention is there.

The thing is, you have to comment on the world cup in a cultured way. Toby's already played a DeBordian blinder, and I'm trying to work out how to cram the phrase "the team's mood is darker than Carravaggio's use of chiaroscuro" casually into conversation.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

joklend

Postby joklend » 16 Jun 2018, 18:03

Although it's Debord, not De Bord.