Writing

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Tom Waits For No One

Re: Writing

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 May 2018, 16:06

Rayge wrote:
In 1982, inspired, if that's the word, by punk, I got a loan from my mother and self-published 1,000 copies of that first book, Mbawe*.

Ooh sounds like an interesting read.

Rayge wrote:Every now and then I think I might try to finish the third fantasy I began, The Immaculate Conception, which is a sort of follow-up to Mbawe, featuring the only character to emerge from that alive

Where was the spoiler alert? :x

Rayge wrote:*still got a few if anyone wants one

No point asking now. :cry:
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 May 2018, 16:19

I've been toying with the idea of writing up some of my travel experiences but part of the problem is the diaries I've kept contain such poor handwriting I struggle to understand them and my memory is so shot that I'm not sure how factual they would actually be. Although I guess that's not a huge problem if you end up telling a neat story you know. I mean how many of our memories are accurate, truthfully? The beauty is in spinning the yarn and that's the challenge.

I think there's potential there mind but it's a slightly daunting enterprise to embark on and part of me, like Coan, thinks if it doesn't really go anywhere then it's a bit pointless. Which is bullshit, I know, but that thought still persists.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 May 2018, 16:39

Diamond Dog wrote:I write emails to the 'strands of support' in my company, asking them why their solutions to my issues don't seem to be particularly successful.

Sisyphus, the postal manager.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 25 May 2018, 17:45

Goat Boy wrote:I've been toying with the idea of writing up some of my travel experiences but part of the problem is the diaries I've kept contain such poor handwriting I struggle to understand them and my memory is so shot that I'm not sure how factual they would actually be. Although I guess that's not a huge problem if you end up telling a neat story you know. I mean how many of our memories are accurate, truthfully? The beauty is in spinning the yarn and that's the challenge.

I think there's potential there mind but it's a slightly daunting enterprise to embark on and part of me, like Coan, thinks if it doesn't really go anywhere then it's a bit pointless. Which is bullshit, I know, but that thought still persists.

There is also the issue that unless you've been somewhere totally exotic or unexplored, it's a path well trodden. If you can do observation a la Theroux or Bryson, then I guess it's worth it.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 May 2018, 20:52

I think you have to have a story worth telling and then you can worry about the technique.

I’ve been a journalist for 23 years now and often think about story lines and characters while churning out my day to day hackwork.

But I think you need to dedicate real time and energy to the process and there are too many other distractions - in addition to lacking a story.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Robert

Postby Robert » 25 May 2018, 23:27

Deebank wrote:I think you have to have a story worth telling and then you can worry about the technique.

That’s it but how can you tell?

Look at a novel like ‘A Little Life’.Who would have predicted the succes it had?

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 26 May 2018, 00:36

Toby wrote:https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

It's really whatever you want it to be. I have used it for my degree, where I essentially write up my notes and tag everything accordingly - so any work I've written, I tag appropriately e.g "Hadrian" or "Structuralism" etc. Then everything I want to read with those tags I can access easily. I suspect that I've not even touched 10% of its capabilities, but it has served me very well.

Thanks for that! I remember another BCBer mentioning that many years ago and I could never remember what it was. It will be helpful to me because I need to organize or keep track of a bunch of different things.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 26 May 2018, 04:44

How pretentious are mystery writers? It takes a lot of something to plot and then write these things but where is the heart? It isn't there. But so the fuck what? They write some great, atmospheric and compelling stories and I gobble them up. I was just reading today that humans need input, entertainment like we need food and air and whoever gives it to us best needs to be lauded.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 26 May 2018, 07:36

Jimbo wrote:How pretentious are mystery writers? It takes a lot of something to plot and then write these things but where is the heart? It isn't there. But so the fuck what? They write some great, atmospheric and compelling stories and I gobble them up. I was just reading today that humans need input, entertainment like we need food and air and whoever gives it to us best needs to be lauded.

:?: :?: :?:
This is what the literary world calls a Non-Sequitur.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

caramba

Postby caramba » 26 May 2018, 15:06

Pansy Puff wrote:
Adventures in TELF
by John Coan

There were ten sat in front of me. I could see they were eager, but were they able? And how would I cope with teaching this disparate groups of adult students, flung together from all corners of the globe. There were ten sat in front of me, my goal was to ensure there were still ten sat in front of me at the end of the course. We were going to go on quite a ride together. It's not all nounsverbsadjective in TEFL, it's about building a new culture together. So there they were: macho Italian chef Giovanni Cupello, nymphomaniac French au pair Danielle Favre, humourless German au pair Anna Schmidt, Spanish bartender Juan Cervantes, Greek shipping company employee Maximillian Papandrious, Indian housewife Jameela Ranjha, Indian Sikh Ranjeet Singh, who works for the London Underground, sporadically employed Pakistani Muslim Ali Nadim, Chinese embassy secretary Chung Su-Lee and Japanese electronics executive Taro Nagazumi.

I remember the first day well. It's common to use a different name as a teacher, to help pronunciation and learning, so I'd decided to call myself John Brown. "Good morning, everyone, I am Mr Brown," I said, confidently, chalk in hand. "No, no, no, sir," interjected Ali, "You are not being Mr Brown. I am being Mr Brown. You are being Mr White."

It was going to be a long year.
\

Vince Powell called. He wants his script back.