WANKERS AT PLAY

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Where Is The Best Restaurant?

Postby Toby » 19 May 2018, 09:28

Everyone I know who has been to the Fat Duck says that it is absolutely worth the expense.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 May 2018, 09:29

Toby wrote:Everyone I know who has been to the Fat Duck says that it is absolutely worth the expense.

The vegetarian options are limited though...
You don't like me...do you?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 19 May 2018, 09:44

I ate at the Fat Duck a few months after it opened and it was superb.

Went back a year later and although the food was great the staff were a little snooty (as were the clientele) and I was sat within 2 feet of the smelliest cheese board in the world.

It was expensive back then of course but not eye-wateringly so.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 19 May 2018, 13:29

Lord Rother wrote:Went back a year later and although the food was great the staff were a little snooty (as were the clientele) and I was sat within 2 feet of the smelliest cheese board in the world.

how many times do I have to tell you? always wash yer cods before you go out
Jimbo wrote:My brain is packed with info

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 May 2018, 15:51

yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:The only place I have ever baulked at is The Fat Duck, it makes L'enclume look cheap, but one day perhaps, when the mortgage is done.

Let me know and I'll get you in. My brother James is Heston's partner in the Hynde's Head up the road. I think the taster menu is £250 without wine though....

Thanks Mike.
I'll start saving and looking for someone worth taking at all in price of 1000 quid for two I guess.
I am dying to eat his food, perhaps I'll start off at Dinner, but the Fat Duck is definitely bucket list material
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2018, 16:20

I'm assuming the Fat Ducks 255 price doesn't include booze, right?
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 May 2018, 16:25

Goat Boy wrote:I'm assuming the Fat Ducks 255 price doesn't include booze, right?

I imagine the accompanying flight of wines would be about 150 bring the total up to 500 GBP, or you could spunk what you wanted on a wine list that is probably the size of the Bible and slightly more daunting to read with a smelly A hovering over you as you try to find the second least expensive Burgundy.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2018, 16:28

For that price I'd be expecting a hand job off Blumenthal thrown in for good measure.

I'm sure it's stunning mind.

The food, not the hand job.
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 May 2018, 17:59

Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:The only place I have ever baulked at is The Fat Duck, it makes L'enclume look cheap, but one day perhaps, when the mortgage is done.

Let me know and I'll get you in. My brother James is Heston's partner in the Hynde's Head up the road. I think the taster menu is £250 without wine though....

Thanks Mike.
I'll start saving and looking for someone worth taking at all in price of 1000 quid for two I guess.
I am dying to eat his food, perhaps I'll start off at Dinner, but the Fat Duck is definitely bucket list material

You could start with one of his salt beef pretzel things from Waitrose, they’re only a few quid. Unpleasant but cheap.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 May 2018, 18:17

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Thanks Mike.

You could start with one of his salt beef pretzel things from Waitrose, they’re only a few quid. Unpleasant but cheap.

Had one, but too high in calories these days :(
Rather go to the Golden Rail at Selfridges if I want to spunk 700 calories on a salt beef sandwich.

Robert

Postby Robert » 19 May 2018, 18:47

Toby wrote:Everyone I know who has been to the Fat Duck says that it is absolutely worth the expense.

No way. There is no meal on earth worth that money.
Unless you live in Africa, it’s the only thing available and you happen to have they money.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 May 2018, 19:21

Robert wrote:

No way. There is no meal on earth worth that money.
Unless you live in Africa, it’s the only thing available and you happen to have they money.

That is the view of someone only interested in food as a fuel rather than as an art form.

In Japan people will huge amounts of money for the right piece of food at the right time, like a perfectly ripe piece of fruit at the peak of its season.

500 pounds for one meal isn't that outrageous, you could pay that much to a scalper to see Led Zeppelin and have an experience that was just as ephemeral but just as emotionally intense and satisfying.

I have paid up to around 200 per head without a qualm, 500 is pushing it but when the house is bought and paid for it may be how I choose to celebrate that occasion.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 May 2018, 19:27

Absolutely agree. Phenomenal food is an experience that is up there with the transcendental. And until you've experienced it, it is a difficult one to actually comprehend.

Why do people pay that sort of money? Because it is obviously worth it.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 May 2018, 19:41

Toby wrote:Absolutely agree. Phenomenal food is an experience that is up there with the transcendental. And until you've experienced it, it is a difficult one to actually comprehend.

That is a circular argument. Things are obviously worth what someone will pay for them.

Personally I don’t find any food ‘transcendental’ but perhaps my relationship with food is more complicated.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 May 2018, 21:00

I have eaten at the Fat Duck twice. In both cases it is absolutely worth the expense -on the food. You do not go there to eat, but to have an evening's entertainment. The show by the waiters, freezing lime juice in liquid nitrogen or bringing you an ipod in a conch shell to listen to the sound of the sea, is the main thing. The food is incredible - you cannot believe how amazing food can be until you have been there. I have also eaten at Ramsey's Chelsea restaurant, the Mirabelle and a couple of other top restaurants but the Fat Duck is streets ahead.

In terms of cost, the food us worth it. Go and drink beer with it. The flight of wines came in 4 categories starting at £90 per person when I last went 8 or 9 years ago, going up to £750 per person. The flight if wines is not worth it.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 19 May 2018, 21:16

Positive Passion wrote:The show by the waiters, freezing lime juice in liquid nitrogen or bringing you an ipod in a conch shell to listen to the sound of the sea, is the main thing.

That just sounds stupid.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 May 2018, 21:25

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:The show by the waiters, freezing lime juice in liquid nitrogen or bringing you an ipod in a conch shell to listen to the sound of the sea, is the main thing.

That just sounds stupid.

While listening to the sea, you have a glass rectangle with three kinds of sushi designed to look like pebbles, and some "sand" which is eel-infused tapioca. One of my guests, glancing at the five of us with ipods in, commented that this was insane. But which is more crazy -that, or having to make your own soup by pouring hot water from a tespot into a teacup with - to all intents and purposes - a stock cube in it (well really it is curcular, not a cube). That course is appropriately called "the Mad Hatter's Tea Party".

It is a piece of immersive theatre, really.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 May 2018, 21:35

I'd rather go to the BBQ place Baron was showing on the previous page.

Kinda surprising, Portland is rated very high as far as US food cities, with NYC, San Francisco, and New Orleans all swapping places as far as the reviews and reviewers go.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 19 May 2018, 22:26

Toby wrote:Absolutely agree. Phenomenal food is an experience that is up there with the transcendental. And until you've experienced it, it is a difficult one to actually comprehend.

I disagree. It's smoke and mirrors. Like most people are going to say, "I've just wasted £300 in a meal." We create a false value. There's a new, but we'll reviewed restaurant in Stockport: Where The Light Gets In. The tasting menu is around £150 per person. It was... alright. But that's it. I liked some of it, but it was certainly not transcendental. It was not phenomenal because one key role of food is making you feel filled. Tasting menus don't do that.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 May 2018, 22:44

Pansy Puff wrote:

I disagree. It's smoke and mirrors. Like most people are going to say, "I've just wasted £300 in a meal." We create a false value. There's a new, but we'll reviewed restaurant in Stockport: Where The Light Gets In. The tasting menu is around £150 per person. It was... alright. But that's it. I liked some of it, but it was certainly not transcendental. It was not phenomenal because one key role of food is making you feel filled. Tasting menus don't do that.

That would be the case if everyone went once and never went again.

I have been to a 2* restaurant around 10-15 times in my life - L'Enclume 2, Sat Bains 1, Le Gavroche 3, Midsummer House around 10 times lost count. I have been to more 1* places. Most people who really enjoy high end food will have done the same.
So what ever it is, it isn't smoke and mirrors that leaves you feeling cheated.

It may be for some people but for enough people to keep the whole high end restaurant business on the road it obviously isn't.

Again it comes down to whether you view going as just going out to be fed, which your desire to be filled suggests you do, or whether you view the occasion as something akin to going to the opera or an art gallery or even a cherished band or top sports match.

Most of the time I am with you and I just want a tasty meal that I either couldn't or wouldn't cook at home in convivial company with a bit of booze.

But sometimes I want something different, I want an incredible chef to surprise, entertain and delight me using food.

Thinking about it, if you just want to be fed but to the highest possible standard then Le Gavroche is the place to go. It is just really high end haute cuisine and last time I went I was stuffed. Have the Baked cheese soufflé thing they do as a starter and you will barely be able to get through the meal and you will probably have to be carted out on a cargo trolley like I was :)

(just checked it is the Souffle Suissesse, fuck me that is rich there must be a pound of butter, eggs and cheese in that )

The Sportsman in Seasalter is like that as well, just very good cooking and there is less flummery there as it is basically a knackered old boozer with an incredibly talented kitchen attached.