Urgent Help - How do I Back Up Laptop documents etc to a Memory Stick ?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Urgent Help - How do I Back Up Laptop documents etc to a Memory Stick ?

Postby Samoan » 16 May 2018, 13:52

I have put the stick into the USB port but I now don't know what to do to make it Back Up all my stuff.
I've never used one before.

It's not telling me anything I understand to do on screen ??
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

Insouciant Western People

Re: Urgent Help - How do I Back Up Laptop documents etc to a Memory Stick ?

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 May 2018, 13:56

A simple drag and drop should do it, I'd have thought.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2018, 14:00

Make sure there's enough memory on the stick.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 May 2018, 14:05

There is.
What do I do ?
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 16 May 2018, 14:16

You need to look for the drive - click on 'start', then find 'devices and drives' (maybe via 'system') and it should show up then. Double-click to open. Then drag and drop whatever you need.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2018, 14:19

Do what nick suggested. Open up the window with all the files you want to move. Click anywhere within the window. Press CTRL + A (That will select everything within that window). Then you can
1. use the mouse to drag it over
2. Press CTRL + C to COPY all the files. Click in the window where you want the files moved to and Press CTRL + P to paste all the files in to that window.
3. Press CTRL + X to CUT (Move all the files without making a copy). Click in the window where you want the files moved to and Press CTRL + P to paste all the files in to that window.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2018, 14:20

If that doesn't work, try turning it off and on again.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2018, 16:56

BOLLY BEE wrote:You need to look for the drive - click on 'start', then find 'devices and drives' (maybe via 'system') and it should show up then. Double-click to open. Then drag and drop whatever you need.

Exactly.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2018, 16:57

Dr Markus wrote:Do what nick suggested. Open up the window with all the files you want to move. Click anywhere within the window. Press CTRL + A (That will select everything within that window). Then you can
1. use the mouse to drag it over
2. Press CTRL + C to COPY all the files. Click in the window where you want the files moved to and Press CTRL + P to paste all the files in to that window.
3. Press CTRL + X to CUT (Move all the files without making a copy). Click in the window where you want the files moved to and Press CTRL + P to paste all the files in to that window.

Here it's CTRL + V to paste.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2018, 17:09

Actually Sloop's right, sorry, it's CTRL + V.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 16 May 2018, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 May 2018, 17:41

Many Thanks everyone. Very much appreciated.

I didn't want to lose my NHS pension links, docs and downloads, should laptop be defunct by then.