I hear some people died in Gaza

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: I hear some people died in Gaza

Postby Butch Manly » 21 Aug 2018, 07:00

Unsettling Lana Del Rey’s Israel Palestine Statement

Preface: I don’t write this with any ill will towards Lana Del Rey, but from a position of sadness that artists, who have been historically instrumental in challenging the status quo are pressured one way or another to ignore their unique super powers. The powers we gravitate towards are not their voices, their talent playing instruments or their composition of music, but their deep, natural sense of empathy.
This weekend, in response to news that Lana Del Rey will be the biggest star performing at Israel’s Meteor Festival, young fans from around the world, including Palestinians, began to urge the American artist to skip the concert using the hashtag #LanaDontGo. Fans cited the increasingly influential movement to boycott Israel into accountability for human rights violations and the brand new nation-state law that enshrines its long and rapidly increasing and unapologetic actions. These actions resemble South African Apartheid and the Jim Crow south, both of which were ended using boycotts.
The demand reached its peak Sunday, after Lana tweeted about former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani’s claiming that “the truth isn’t the truth” when questioned about investigation of his client, Donald Trump. What was expected to be the usual support young fans show artists when they call out Trump, turned instead into an opportunity to address the actual truths of state violence against Palestinians in West Bank only 8 minutes away from the concert and seconds from Palestinians, other Arabs, Druze and Africans all through Tel Aviv.

In response to the blowback, Lana crafted a statement about her decision to play Israel.
Her full statement is below with my comments.
“On the topic of ‘truth’ (my earlier tweet that references a statement made by Giuliani about Trump today) I understand many of u are upset that we’re going to Tel Aviv for the Meteor festival, I understand your concern I really get do.”
Lana here introduces “we” rather than “I”, helping to diffuse her influence and responsibility for the decisions she makes. I’m sure many people are involved, but I’m also sure Lana Del Rey has enough agency with Lana Del Rey to follow her lead.
“What I can tell you is I believe music is universal and should be used to brings us together. We signed on the show w the intention that it would be performed for the kids there and my plan was for it to be done w loving energy w a thematic emphasis on peace.”
Specifically, Israeli kids. Palestinian kids caged into West Bank and Gaza will not be allowed to attend. Kids in Gaza and West Bank, who are nearly 50% of the population, are banned from travel. And 273 Palestinian children as young as 14 are held in Israeli prison. There is nothing about this event that is “universal” or “brings us together”. It is akin to walking passed the black section to the white section of a cafeteria to sing songs about unity.
“If you don’t agree with it I get it. I see both sides.”
Here is where Lana’s statement begins to verge on Giuliani’s statement about truth. There aren’t two sides to human rights. There is only one absolute truth.
“But me and my band have been performing all over the world for month out of the years for close to 10 years now together. And we’re about to travel to a place that many big bands are playing this and at this festival.”
Again we have an example of diffusing responsibility. Lana isn’t just another act on a long list of artists, she is the biggest selling, most successful artist on the ticket with enormous power.
“We don’t always agree with the politics of the places we play within or even in our own country- sometimes we don’t even feel safe, depending on how far abroad but we travel- but we are musicians and we’ve dedicated our lives to being on the road.”
Politics are how much we should pay in taxes. If college should be debt free. Human rights are not politics and pegging it to “we don’t always agree on politics” doesn’t add up. You may disagree on the politics of a 5 cent refund on the plastic bottle that holds water, but one wouldn’t put “we don’t always agree on politics” before a super power denying a besieged community access to drinking water — which Israel does as collective punishment and to literally fill pools and garden sprinklers of illegal settlements.
“So in closing although I have deep sentiments over what is true or not true, right or wrong- I would like to remind you that performing in Tel Aviv is not a political statement or a commitment to the politics there”
Lana here claims deep sentiments but has yet to even introduce the word “Palestinian” in her statement. In fact, her entire statement does not mention Palestinians at all. That is political.
“just as singing here in California doesn’t mean my views are in alignment w my current governments opinions or sometimes inhuman actions.”
This is comparing apples to hummus.
Had San Diego defied the US Constitution and installed walls around people of Latinx background, starving them of medical supplies, school supplies and their own fishing and drinking waters while occasionally bombing peaceful protests, assassinating unarmed nurses, and imprisoning poets for poetry, Lana Del Ray would not be playing San Diego.
“Or that I condone my own president who openly mocked disabled people at rallies (I’m not in anyway likening the gravity of certain travesties that have occured in Israel to the current hardships we’re facing here)”
It’s very strange here that when you even attempt to mention Palestinians, you say Israel.
“I’m just stating that I’m a simple singer,”
Singers have spent generations and risked great harm to their lives and the lives of their families to protest. They did not do that because they thought they were not powerful, they did it because they knew they were.
You are also a poet, like Palestinian poet Dareen Tatour who is only a few years older than you and has spent years in house arrest for poetry, and now faces “terrorism” charges and prison for one she posted on Facebook.
“I’m doing my best to navigate the waters of the constant tumultuous hardships in the war-torn countries all over the world that I travel through monthly.”
Germany and Russia were at war. The United States and Japan were at war. The Palestinians are not at war or “war-torn”. They are occupied, ethnically cleansed from lands and their bodies, their water, their air and their food is obliterated every single day.
In recent months alone, Israel has not only erased the notion of a Palestinian capitol by moving its embassy, assassinating an unarmed nurse, imprisoning children, and planning a mass deportation of Black refugees referred to by officials and public opinion as “a cancer” (one which Israelis like Sarah Silverman’s sister, Rabbi Susan Silverman, compared to the Holocaust and her actions to hide Africans to those who hid Anne Frank), it has enshrined these supremacist acts with a law that removes Arabic as a national language, and sets anyone but Israeli Jews as second class citizens.
“For the record I’m doing the best I can and my intentions are better than most peoples that I know.”
For liberals who say that, I recall Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who said it was not the Trumps and Netanyahu’s of his age that risked the civil rights movement,
“I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice”-MLK
But I think the best advocate for Lana Del Rey to reverse course in 2018, is Lana Del Rey of 2014, who cancelled her first visit to Israel as Israeli families literally ate popcorn and clapped in celebration while Gaza schools and hospitals were flattened while others cheered, “There is no school tomorrow, there are no children left in Gaza,”.
It is true that there are many conflicts all over the world, but we as Americans are tied closest to this one. We fund it. We defend it at the UN with a veto that paves the way for Israel’s right wing. And we as Americans have a unique responsibility and leverage to end its criminal behavior once and for all.
Your Palestinian fans have already told the world what would help and have decided that it’s a boycott.
I as a Jew have chosen this fight because it is done in my name, hijacking my heritage and faith, and abusing the memory of my 6 million sisters and brothers.
And you as an artist? You have millions of young people behind you not only because of your voice or your music, but because of the empathy that drives it and connects directly with the generation that can change — everything.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 23 Aug 2018, 12:36

Two days without anyone dying in Gaza!

There’s light at the end of the tunnel.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2018, 12:56

the gorton gollum wrote:Two days without anyone dying in Gaza!

Humanitarian help is on the way
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Aug 2018, 13:32

How kind! The link to my JustGiving fundraising for MAP is on Facebook.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 14:03

:lol: Will "some sympathy" do? He claims to have a bit of that.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2018, 14:04

Will some guardian articles do, Carol?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Aug 2018, 14:18

I don't think that will provide medical help to refugees in Gaza, Syria and Lebanon, but thanks just the same. I could read them while running the Beirut Marathon, hence the fundraising.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2018, 14:20

No they won't will they I guess.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 14:24

You could sponsor her, like.
Goatboy to Belle:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2018, 14:32

You could fuck off to Gaza, like

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 14:34

You're not doing very well here, Dougie. A feature of the entire thread, funnily enough.
Goatboy to Belle:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2018, 14:50

I'VE DONE POORLY AGAIN, HAVEN'T I?

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 15:02

I'm sure she'd be made up with just a fiver.
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 15:02

It's a good cause.
Goatboy to Belle:

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 23 Aug 2018, 22:30

Goat Boy wrote:
the gorton gollum wrote:Two days without anyone dying in Gaza!

Humanitarian help is on the way

This is a good look isn't it

You always wonder how people like the Nazis ever got close enough to power to make a grab at it, and sometimes you get an inkling.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 24 Aug 2018, 14:57

Meanwhile, another ordinary day in the illegally occupied West Bank:

Two Palestinians were injured after Israeli settlers attacked them while they were inside a vehicle
August 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Dozens of Israeli settlers today attacked two Palestinians while they were inside a vehicle near the Zaatara checkpoint in the northern occupied West Bank district of Nablus.

According to the victims’ relative, Uqab Qanna, the men were driving home to Kafr Qalil village, when heavily armed Israeli settlers stopped the vehicle some 200 metres from the Zaatara checkpoint.

Qanna confirmed that after his relatives stopped the vehicle, the settlers began “brutally” kicking and beating them with guns and sticks, causing them severe injuries.

They went on to smash and destroyed parts of the vehicle before fleeing the area.

Read: Israel settlers march to Umm Al-Fahm, demand destruction of mosques

Qanna identified the two Palestinians as Suleiman Idris Qanna, 20, and Yahiya Naim Qanna, 23.

Both of them were immediately taken to the Rafidiya Governmental Hospital near Nablus for treatment.

Yahya’s injuries included bruises, fractures and an open cut on the side of his head, while Suleiman suffered various bruising all over his body.
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 25 Aug 2018, 10:06

Israeli forces wound dozens of Palestinian protesters in Gaza

O

MEE staff
Friday 24 August 2018 20:22 UTC

At least 189 Palestinian protesters were wounded by Israeli soldiers in Gaza on Friday as demonstrators in the besieged strip continued their weekly protests as a part of the Great March of Return.

Of the peaceful protesters wounded on Friday, 73 were hospitalised and 50 were hit by live ammunition, according to the Gaza health ministry spokesman. The rest were treated on the scene.

In late March, Palestinians launched the Great March of Return, gathering peacefully along the "buffer zone" in Gaza near the fence separating it from Israel.

The protest campaign calls for an end to the 11-year Israeli-led blockade on Gaza and for Palestinian refugees' right of return to the lands that their families fled during the establishment of the state of Israel in 1948.

At least 171 Palestinians in Gaza, including demonstrators, journalists and medics have been killed by Israeli forces during the protests since then.

Earlier this week, the chair of a UN Human Rights Council investigation into Israel's use of force against protesters in Gaza stepped down less than a month after being appointed.

Former Pentagon official David Crane resigned from the inquiry for "personal reasons", according to a statement by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights issued on Wednesday.

Elsewhere in the Palestinian territories, Israeli settlers destroyed 30 olive trees in a village south of Nablus in the West Bank on Friday, official Palestinian news agency WAFA reported.

READ MORE►

Gaza: Meet the Palestinian doctor who watched his son die
Settlers regularly uproot, burn and destroy olive trees in the West Bank, a source of income for Palestinian farmers that also symbolises Palestinians' attachment to their land.

Ghassan Douglas, a Palestinian Authority official who monitors settlements, told WAFA that settler attacks against Palestinian civilians have increased lately, and the assaults are happening under the protection of Israel's army.

Meanwhile, the United States will "redirect" more than $200m in economic aid for projects to Palestinians, a US State Department official told Reuters on Friday.

"We have undertaken a review of US assistance to the Palestinian Authority and in the West Bank and Gaza to ensure these funds are spent in accordance with US national interests and provide value to the US taxpayer," said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"As a result of that review, at the direction of the president, we will redirect more than $200 million in FY2017 Economic Support Funds originally planned for programmes in the West Bank and Gaza. Those funds will now address high-priority projects elsewhere."
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 25 Aug 2018, 10:18

The above report is quite something:

- Israel continues to shoot unarmed civilians in a giant ghetto

- Israeli "settlers" continue to uproot and burn Palestinian olive trees, doing so under IDF protection

- The USA is cutting aid to Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank

Still, they're all as bad as each other. :roll:
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 26 Aug 2018, 18:26

US slashes aid as Gaza hospitals run out of fuel

Maureen Clare Murphy

Rights and Accountability
24 August 2018

The Trump administration has decided to cut more than $200 million in bilateral assistance to Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, the State Department said Friday.

The money will be redirected to “high priority projects elsewhere,” a notice sent to Congress stated.

The amount cut by the Trump administration represents most of the $250 million in aid requested annually by the State Department for 2018 and 2019.

The US had already frozen millions in aid to the Palestinian Authority earlier this year after Congress passed the Taylor Force Act. That legislation requires the suspension of funds benefiting the PA until it terminates payments to the families of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel and those of slain alleged attackers.

The suspension of funding has already diminished Palestinians’ access to medical services and food aid.

The US has continued to transfer funds to Palestinian Authority security forces that serve as an enforcement arm of the Israeli occupation.

In 2016 the Obama administration and Israel signed the largest aid package in US history, giving Israel $38 billion in military assistance over 10 years. President Donald Trump recently signed a defense bill codifying that aid pledge into law, one of the few parts of his predecessor’s legacy that he has wholeheartedly embraced.

Friday’s announcement of further cuts in aid to Palestinians comes days after a UN official warned that essential services in the occupied Gaza Strip will soon shut down if the purchase of emergency fuel isn’t immediately funded.

Gaza running out of fuel
It is the latest such warning regarding Gaza, whose two million residents have long been kept dangling over a cliff.

Donor-funded emergency fuel has become a lifeline in Gaza after 11 years of Israeli blockade that has deflated the territory’s economy and sharply increased residents’ dependence on humanitarian aid.

Emergency fuel is used to operate health, water and sanitation facilities, particularly backup generators at Gaza’s hospitals. Chronic power shortages mean that most households in Gaza have electricity no more than four or five hours per day.

“We have now run out of funds and are delivering the final supplies in the next few days,” humanitarian coordinator Jamie McGoldrick said on Monday.

“Without funds to enable ongoing deliveries, service providers will be forced to suspend, or heavily reduce, operations from early September, with potentially grave consequences.”

Gaza patients depending on electrical equipment in intensive care units, those on dialysis or in trauma departments are most vulnerable to electricity shortages, according to McGoldrick’s office.

The electricity crisis has also forced doctors to postpone complex surgeries since they cannot guarantee that essential equipment can operate for long enough without interruption.

Almost the entire population in Gaza would be affected by reduction or cessation of health services if Gaza’s main hospitals run out of emergency fuel, McGoldrick’s office said.

Half the population of two million faces the risk of sewage overflow if fuel for pumping stations is exhausted.

UNRWA schools to open – for now
Meanwhile the school year is set to start on time for more than 240,000 Palestinian refugee children in Gaza who are educated in United Nations facilities after fears that funding cuts would necessitate delay.

But UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestine refugees, said last week that it only has enough money to keep its more than 700 schools in the occupied Gaza Strip and West Bank, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria open until the end of September.

Another $217 million is needed to keep its schools running the rest of the year, according to UNRWA commissioner-general Pierre Krähenbühl.

The agency is in crisis after the Trump administration withheld $300 million in funding earlier this year. The US was UNRWA’s single largest donor.

Last month UNRWA announced cuts to emergency services which would result in layoffs of more than 100 of its nearly 13,000 employees in Gaza and salary reductions for hundreds more. That is a huge blow in Gaza, where half the population is unemployed.

UNRWA has faced fierce protests, causing it to “lose control” of its compound in Gaza for more than two weeks, according to Krähenbühl.

This week Krähenbühl suggested – as had already been made clear by Trump administration officials themselves – that the withholding of funding was meant to punish Palestinians for protesting the president’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in early December.

US squeezes UNRWA
Krähenbühl told the Associated Press that “I can say with a great degree of confidence that the decision [to withhold funding] was not related to UNRWA’s performance, because in November I had received very constructive and openly positive feedback on those issues.”

After “tensions increased around the question of Jerusalem” following Trump’s announcement, Krähenbühl added, “It appears that the humanitarian funding to UNRWA got caught up in the deep polarization around that question.”

It was revealed by Foreign Policy magazine earlier this month that Jared Kushner, Middle East envoy and son-in-law to President Trump, advocated for “an honest and sincere effort to disrupt UNRWA.”

In an email sent to several other senior Trump administration officials on 11 January, Kushner stated that UNRWA “perpetuates a status quo, is corrupt, inefficient and doesn’t help peace.”

Israel and its most fervent advocates have long argued that the existence of UNRWA is what perpetuates the question of Palestinian refugees, rather than Israel’s refusal to respect their rights.

Such advocates therefore believe that dissolving UNRWA would make the issue of Palestinian refugees – whose fate has been repeatedly kicked down the road as a “final status issue” during decades of fruitless peace negotiations – disappear as well.

Earlier this year, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared that UNRWA “needs to pass from this world.”

Israel refuses to allow Palestinians to return to the homes and lands from which they were ethnically cleansed because they are not Jews.

“One cannot simply wish five million people away,” Krähenbühl has said in multiple interviews.

Yet that seems to be the strategy the Trump administration is pursuing, regardless of the dire humanitarian and political consequences.
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 31 Aug 2018, 14:52

Goatboy to Belle: