If you had lots and lots and lots of money

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
WG Kaspar

Re: If you had lots and lots and lots of money

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 May 2018, 18:37

sloopjohnc wrote:I'd buy an NBA team.

My team is playing in the conference finals that starts Saturday and tickets on the open market are going for $960.

Owning a team, I could sit wherever I wanted.

Or you know, you could just buy the tickets.
I doubt your team would reach the finals with you in charge.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 19:00

WG Kaspar wrote:

My team is playing in the conference finals that starts Saturday and tickets on the open market are going for $960.

:lol:

I'd pass your photo among security to make sure you never get through the arena doors.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 19:03

WG Kaspar wrote:

I did have this thought with my theatre... I could just buy yearly subscriptions to wonderful opera houses or something.

I think having lots and lots of money would make my life more full of art.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 May 2018, 19:06

sloopjohnc wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:

I'd pass your photo among security to make sure you never get through the arena doors.

:)
I run out of talent

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 May 2018, 19:07

hippopotamus wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:

I did have this thought with my theatre... I could just buy yearly subscriptions to wonderful opera houses or something.

That's a different thing though.
People will be baying for sloop's blood within a year.
Yours is a much safer venture.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 19:14

WG Kaspar wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:Or you know, you could just buy the tickets.

Now I'm going to buy the satellite or cable TV company you subscribe to and ban you from watching any NBA games too.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 May 2018, 19:24

sloopjohnc wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:

Now I'm going to buy the satellite or cable TV company you subscribe to and ban you from watching any NBA games too.

Maybe you can run for president too!
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 21:19

WG Kaspar wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:That's a different thing though.

Maybe you can run for president too!

Maybe I will.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 11 May 2018, 22:03

I have paid of my house, have enough money of my own that I don't have to work, and am married to a cash millonaire. I have retrained (aged over 50) and am currently doing a much tought job than the one I used to do for 15% of the salary.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 11 May 2018, 22:23

Being old is expensive. If you don't have your own funds to get the level of health care that you would like to have in order to maintain a basic level of comfort, your option is to be at the mercy of nursing homes. I emphasize the word "mercy" here.

That is what drove Linda Gramatky Smith and Kendall Smith to move to the Cedar Crest Retirement Community in Pompton Plains, N.J. They had raised their children in Northern New Jersey, but once they became empty nesters, they moved to Westport, Conn., where Ms. Smith had grown up and still owned her childhood home.

But when their daughter, who lives in New Jersey, was widowed five years ago, they found that driving back and forth to help her with her three children was not ideal. In an uncannily prescient move, Mr. Smith, now 85, had put down a refundable deposit at Cedar Crest more than a decade ago, just in case they ever wanted to move there.

Living in one of these communities, of course, is not cheap. The Smiths paid an entrance fee of about $500,000, and their monthly rent is $4,500, which is not unusual, according to the AARP. The organization estimates that entrance fees typically range from $100,000 to $1 million, and monthly rents can be anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/real ... -kids.html

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 23:18

take5_d_shorterer wrote:Being old is expensive. If you don't have your own funds to get the level of health care that you would like to have in order to maintain a basic level of comfort, your option is to be at the mercy of nursing homes. I emphasize the word "mercy" here.

That is what drove Linda Gramatky Smith and Kendall Smith to move to the Cedar Crest Retirement Community in Pompton Plains, N.J. They had raised their children in Northern New Jersey, but once they became empty nesters, they moved to Westport, Conn., where Ms. Smith had grown up and still owned her childhood home.

But when their daughter, who lives in New Jersey, was widowed five years ago, they found that driving back and forth to help her with her three children was not ideal. In an uncannily prescient move, Mr. Smith, now 85, had put down a refundable deposit at Cedar Crest more than a decade ago, just in case they ever wanted to move there.

Living in one of these communities, of course, is not cheap. The Smiths paid an entrance fee of about $500,000, and their monthly rent is $4,500, which is not unusual, according to the AARP. The organization estimates that entrance fees typically range from $100,000 to $1 million, and monthly rents can be anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/real ... -kids.html

I have enough until I'm 81. if nothing happens, which won't probably be the case.

At some point, I'll seriously have to consider when it's hose in the exhaust pipe time.

Unless our social system vastly changes. I'm nearly at the tail end of the baby boom so I'm pragmatically thinking most government funding for medical and living will be depleted by the time I really, really need it if things go on like they are.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 May 2018, 09:27

I'd probably give it all away.
You don't like me...do you?

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 May 2018, 10:39

I could do with a bung
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 12 May 2018, 10:51

Oh BCB! Only here would an invitation to dream turn into a fucking treatise on unearned wealth and the perils of old age.
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 12 May 2018, 10:52

Bunch of Cautious Carols.
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 May 2018, 11:23

1. Get fucked up for a while. Maybe 6 months to a year
2. Buy a detached house. Nothing too big mind. Perhaps 4 bedrooms.
3. Buy a couple of places to stay in the winter months. Italy and France perhaps. Maybe Spain.
4. Travel a lot
5. Generally arse about and buy a lot of cool shit. Maybe start collecting rock n roll memorabilia or some shit.
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 12 May 2018, 14:40

sloopjohnc wrote:I have enough until I'm 81. if nothing happens, which won't probably be the case.

At some point, I'll seriously have to consider when it's hose in the exhaust pipe time.

Unless our social system vastly changes. I'm nearly at the tail end of the baby boom so I'm pragmatically thinking most government funding for medical and living will be depleted by the time I really, really need it if things go on like they are.

I have a different prediction, which may be less catastrophic, but which is still dire.

I don't foresee the total collapse of social services like Social Security and Medicare. However, I have serious questions whether the system in place is adequate to address the needs of the elderly when there is no one else around to advocate on their behalf (i.e., legal guardian).

Nursing homes are NOT covered by Medicare, and they cost about $10,000 a month. After they drain all your assets, your nursing home costs may be eligible for Medicare. The question is what sort of care do you get in a nursing home.

These are businesses after all, and their point is to make money. If the care that they provide for a patient costs substantially less than $10,000 a month, it is in their interests to keep the patient alive. If it costs around $10,000 or more, then it is not in their interests to keep the patient alive.

That does not mean, of course, that the nursing home will deliberately kill a patient. it does mean this, though: health care for the elderly often takes the form of maintenance. You have to check and re-check things again and again. Does the patient have bedsores, etc.? The nursing home allocates a certain amount of resources to a given patient UNLESS there is an outside advocate constantly getting in the face of the home and insisting what needs to be done.

What happens if you don't have an advocate to do that for you?

Here's one data point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... edirect=on

The investigation afterwards undoubtably is happening because the victim is the father of the former national security adviser to the president. However, all these political connections were not enough beforehand to prevent the death in the first place.

What would have prevented the death would have been if H.R. McMaster had quit his job and stationed himself at the nursing home to oversee his father's medical care there. Of course, if he did that, it would be redundant to use a nursing home in the first place.

As a general note, I do understand that the point of this thread is a lottery-type scenario. In the US, we have the reverse lottery scenario otherwise known as health care costs. The difference is that it isn't really a lottery, that is to say, an event with an unlikely chance of winning. In the health care lottery, the high probability that one will get the "winning" ticket that will wipe out any accumulation of wealth save those that belong to, let's say, the "one percent".

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 May 2018, 17:22

I could buy some real friends and stop arsing around on the Internet.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 May 2018, 17:51

take5_d_shorterer wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I have enough until I'm 81. if nothing happens, which won't probably be the case.

I have a different prediction, which may be less catastrophic, but which is still dire.

I don't foresee the total collapse of social services like Social Security and Medicare. However, I have serious questions whether the system in place is adequate to address the needs of the elderly when there is no one else around to advocate on their behalf (i.e., legal guardian).

Nursing homes are NOT covered by Medicare, and they cost about $10,000 a month. After they drain all your assets, your nursing home costs may be eligible for Medicare. The question is what sort of care do you get in a nursing home.

These are businesses after all, and their point is to make money. If the care that they provide for a patient costs substantially less than $10,000 a month, it is in their interests to keep the patient alive. If it costs around $10,000 or more, then it is not in their interests to keep the patient alive.

That does not mean, of course, that the nursing home will deliberately kill a patient. it does mean this, though: health care for the elderly often takes the form of maintenance. You have to check and re-check things again and again. Does the patient have bedsores, etc.? The nursing home allocates a certain amount of resources to a given patient UNLESS there is an outside advocate constantly getting in the face of the home and insisting what needs to be done.

What happens if you don't have an advocate to do that for you?

Here's one data point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... edirect=on

The investigation afterwards undoubtably is happening because the victim is the father of the former national security adviser to the president. However, all these political connections were not enough beforehand to prevent the death in the first place.

What would have prevented the death would have been if H.R. McMaster had quit his job and stationed himself at the nursing home to oversee his father's medical care there. Of course, if he did that, it would be redundant to use a nursing home in the first place.

As a general note, I do understand that the point of this thread is a lottery-type scenario. In the US, we have the reverse lottery scenario otherwise known as health care costs. The difference is that it isn't really a lottery, that is to say, an event with an unlikely chance of winning. In the health care lottery, the high probability that one will get the "winning" ticket that will wipe out any accumulation of wealth save those that belong to, let's say, the "one percent".

I’m a bit confused as to the point you are making here.

I read the story you linked to, but have not looked into the follow up story or the specifics of the incident of what the nurse allegedly did or didn’t do. However, not performing follow up checks on a patient who has fallen could happen absolutely anywhere at any time in any setting, from residential through to nursing care and even hospitals. Often hospitals, actually. If the allegations are correct, that’s a lousy nurse. On another day the outcome might have been different.

You seem to be conflating a poor clinical decision from an individual with a systemic issue of financially motivated decisions about care. A person can fall in the best hospital in the land and if you have a lousy nurse, you are toast.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 May 2018, 17:56

Jumper K wrote:I could buy some real friends and stop arsing around on the Internet.

There isn't that much money in the whole world!