If you had lots and lots and lots of money

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: If you had lots and lots and lots of money

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 May 2018, 12:15

hippopotamus wrote:I'd like to run a theatre/music venue.

I applaud that!
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 12:18

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:

I applaud that!

By "run" I mean give them lots of lots of money, so I get a say in what goes on, but everyone else does most of the hard work.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 May 2018, 12:22

hippopotamus wrote:

I applaud that!

By "run" I mean give them lots of lots of money, so I get a say in what goes on, but everyone else does most of the hard work.

I still applaud that!

Erm... you mean to imply that you'd run that venue in the sense that you decide on what's being programmed, so that as many older and quite directionless BCB'ers as possible will be able to find new meaning in their lives?

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 May 2018, 12:25

I would't be living in the UK for one.
I run out of talent

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 11 May 2018, 12:32

hippopotamus wrote:How would your life be different?

More freedom. Or maybe autonomy is a better word.

Part of that includes being able to do what I want professionally without worrying about paying bills (and myself). I’d say my life would be very different.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 11 May 2018, 12:37

I could live exceptionally well on around, say, £100,00 a year, enjoying travel and leisure, studying what and when I wanted, and buying good-quality everyday things (clothes, a car etc.) without being so bored by money that I started shopping for solid-gold toilets etc. Anything above that I'd probably enjoy spending on other people: seed capital for interesting small businesses or startups that would create jobs and might go on to do some good in the world; charitable donations; university scholarships; general philanthropy etc. That would be more rewarding than a bling-filled superstar lifestyle. Though that said, if I came into big money, the owners of my local record shops and hifi dealerships would be able to retire happy soon afterwards. I'd have to waste SOME of it on selfish nonsense, like activities I've always fancied trying or doing more of: learning to parachute, motorcycle track days, private martial arts lessons and the like. Then I'd probably break my back on the first day and have to watch my kids spend all the money on things I hate.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 11 May 2018, 12:50

I think the issue is that we all talk about being able to enjoy a lifestyle a little bit above what we have now, but the reality is that having more money opens up more things that you hadn't considered previously. It's easy to say these things, yet money does change people. Power is not an easy thing to quantify when you don't have it.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 May 2018, 12:52

Fireplug wrote:I could live exceptionally well on around, say, £100,00 a year, enjoying travel and leisure, studying what and when I wanted, and buying good-quality everyday things (clothes, a car etc.) without being so bored by money that I started shopping for solid-gold toilets etc. Anything above that I'd probably enjoy spending on other people: seed capital for interesting small businesses or startups that would create jobs and might go on to do some good in the world; charitable donations; university scholarships; general philanthropy etc. That would be more rewarding than a bling-filled superstar lifestyle. Though that said, if I came into big money, the owners of my local record shops and hifi dealerships would be able to retire happy soon afterwards. I'd have to waste SOME of it on selfish nonsense, like activities I've always fancied trying or doing more of: learning to parachute, motorcycle track days, private martial arts lessons and the like. Then I'd probably break my back on the first day and have to watch my kids spend all the money on things I hate.

Remarkable.

Care to elaborate?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2018, 13:12

Robert wrote:Overall, the down sides to having money outweigh the upsides.
For me it's better to be independent with a decent income than to have a shitload of cash in the bank.

In what ways ?
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

Robert

Postby Robert » 11 May 2018, 13:13

Toby wrote:I think the issue is that we all talk about being able to enjoy a lifestyle a little bit above what we have now, but the reality is that having more money opens up more things that you hadn't considered previously. It's easy to say these things, yet money does change people. Power is not an easy thing to quantify when you don't have it.

Or, they seemed attractive while they were a distant dream but became less appealling when they came into reach.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2018, 13:22

hippopotamus wrote:
Samoan wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:

Did you read that article about the legal secretary who died in New York recently who had accumulated millions during her lifetime and never told anyone?

No, I've not heard of her. Heavens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/06/nyregion/secretary-fortune-donates.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Fascinating. What a lady!

Being a child of The Great Depression massively affected her. I think keeping her husband out of the loop, as it seems she may have done, was probably a savvy move but maybe that's me being a tad cynical.
Last edited by Samoan on 11 May 2018, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 11 May 2018, 13:35

Care to elaborate?

Typo. £100,000.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 11 May 2018, 13:54

Toby wrote:I think the issue is that we all talk about being able to enjoy a lifestyle a little bit above what we have now, but the reality is that having more money opens up more things that you hadn't considered previously. It's easy to say these things, yet money does change people. Power is not an easy thing to quantify when you don't have it.

I’m reasonably confident I have a good grasp on all that, unless you’re talking Jeff Bezos or Saudi Prince money, which is obviously another world entirely. A naive, sheltered, or generally dim or unsophisticated lottery winner could certainly have problems. And I gather they often do.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 May 2018, 13:59

Fireplug wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Typo. £100,000.

I knew.

;)

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 May 2018, 15:09

I know the first rule is to not tell anyone but I'm here to tell you that I am sitting on five lottery tickets that when I bring them to the lotto place tomorrow I will be a very wealthy man. The grand prize is as good as mine, baby! And when I get my winnings the first thing I'll do is …. Shit, what is the first thing?
Gadfly

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 11 May 2018, 15:10

If you’re in the States the first thing you do is HIRE A LAWYER. Before you get the dough, preferably.

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 11 May 2018, 15:12

I'd buy 500 acres of wooded land up north (with a lake to land and take off from in the float-plane I'd buy and learn to fly) and build a modest cabin with room for a few guests and spend the warm months puttering around, hiking through the woods, fishing, etc. I'd spend winters in Mexico or somewhere else warm and keep my house in Toronto as a home base.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 11 May 2018, 17:07

LeBaron wrote:If you’re in the States the first thing you do is HIRE A LAWYER. Before you get the dough, preferably.

Good advice. I'd do that here in Canada as well.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 17:56

I'd buy an NBA team.

My team is playing in the conference finals that starts Saturday and tickets on the open market are going for $960.

Owning a team, I could sit wherever I wanted.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 11 May 2018, 18:14

I would ease into it. I'd put it all in the savings account and pay my fuckin' bills. I'd pick up the check for some people I haven't picked the check up for in a while. i'd gradually adjust to it and pay somebody to do my taxes.
Jimbo wrote: I'm assuming it's bullshit.