How would your life be different?
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: If you had lots and lots and lots of money

Postby Toby » 11 May 2018, 11:16

I don't think it would be hugely different. If, by lots of money, you mean a paid for house and no "need to earn", I'd probably be an eternal student and study for the rest of my life. I imagine the only significant difference would be that we would travel a lot more.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2018, 11:26

hippopotamus wrote:How would your life be different?

I'd hire a regular cleaner, an occasional gardener and an osteopath and sports physio./masseur.
I would redo my bathroom to a high specification so I have a walk in shower and get rid of the bath.
I hope, as a result, I would feel more comfortable on the pain scale and be less snarky.
Last edited by Samoan on 11 May 2018, 14:39, edited 3 times in total.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 11:27

Toby wrote:I don't think it would be hugely different. If, by lots of money, you mean a paid for house and no "need to earn", I'd probably be an eternal student and study for the rest of my life. I imagine the only significant difference would be that we would travel a lot more.

I would LOVE to be a gentleman Scientist.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 May 2018, 11:29

Sell the lot and travel, travel, travel.....
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 11 May 2018, 11:33

The manner in which the money was obtained is significant. There are lots of stories of lottery winners who suffer fallout from sudden accumulations of wealth, particularly with regard to how that money is distributed amongst family and friends. "Earning" wealth is very different.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2018, 11:37

Toby wrote:The manner in which the money was obtained is significant. There are lots of stories of lottery winners who suffer fallout from sudden accumulations of wealth, particularly with regard to how that money is distributed amongst family and friends. "Earning" wealth is very different.

Mais oui, but if you've any wits about you, you'd keep schtum as the grave.
People mouth off too much for their own good.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 11:40

Toby wrote:The manner in which the money was obtained is significant. There are lots of stories of lottery winners who suffer fallout from sudden accumulations of wealth, particularly with regard to how that money is distributed amongst family and friends. "Earning" wealth is very different.

But do you think there's any way of getting a large quantity of money that wouldn't change how you were before?

I'd LIKE to think not much would change. Because if the sum didn't seem particularly significant to me... I feel I would probably still live in Liverpool (it's great). I'd probably live in the same area, but in a house with enough room for my things. I'd probably buy a car, but I'd probably still like to cycle everywhere (but I'd buy a nicer bike). I'd still have the same jobs, but I'd work Less.
I'd even still do nights and on calls (but less.)

With my extra time, I'd spend more time in sunny countries, and go skiing in the winter.

I'd dress much better though. No more charity shop clothes. I MIGHT even observe fashion!
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 11:41

Samoan wrote:

Did you read that article about the legal secretary who died in New York recently who had accumulated millions during her lifetime and never told anyone?
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 May 2018, 11:41

Listen to Toby at this point.

I myself? Given my impression that the world is heading for a new Great Depression in straightforward fashion, the question is not all that relevant IMHO.

Perhaps the periods in between Big Crises will become ever shorter - we're in an acceleration (a process with exponential characteristics).

A finite world cannot provide for infinite growth.

And there's the climate.

Pertaining to the latter, this is an informative and pretty tough read:

https://overland.org.au/previous-issues ... te-abboud/

(I can't recommend Phil Mirowski enough on these issues - he's an economist as well as a historian of science, and his analyses are razor-sharp.)
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Robert

Postby Robert » 11 May 2018, 11:45

Overall, the down sides to having money outweigh the upsides.
For me it's better to be independent with a decent income than to have a shitload of cash in the bank.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 11:48

I was thinking about it because I'm reading Grapes of Wrath.
I always think it's worth thinking about. Multiple studies show money DOES buy happiness... but it's about using it the right way. To save you time, and let you do more things that are important.

Personally, I don't LIKE the idea of money or ever thinking about it, or even the idea of having oodles of it about...
but I DO like eating, and getting to do things I like doing, and not feeling beholden to everyone because everyone's trying to "help me out".

I think it's worth checking in with yourself, if you have what you want, and if you are waiting for something that will never happen to do the things you want to do... or if you've got it pretty good already.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 May 2018, 11:50

Kinda pedantic, but how much money exactly? it does affect the answer.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2018, 11:54

hippopotamus wrote:
Samoan wrote:

Did you read that article about the legal secretary who died in New York recently who had accumulated millions during her lifetime and never told anyone?

No, I've not heard of her. Heavens.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 11:57

Dr Markus wrote:Kinda pedantic, but how much money exactly? it does affect the answer.

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 11:58

Samoan wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:
Samoan wrote:Mais oui, but if you've any wits about you, you'd keep schtum as the grave.

No, I've not heard of her. Heavens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/06/nyregion/secretary-fortune-donates.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 May 2018, 12:06

hippopotamus wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Kinda pedantic, but how much money exactly? it does affect the answer.

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS

Euro? Sterling? Lira? ;)

I'd probably follow the UFC around the world for year.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 12:07

Dr Markus wrote:I'd probably follow the UFC around the world for year.

Would that change your life?
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 May 2018, 12:09

I'd like to run a theatre/music venue.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 May 2018, 12:14

hippopotamus wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:I'd probably follow the UFC around the world for year.

Would that change your life?

Yeah I reread the question after I posted that.

I suppose I would quit my job, have a go the film making thing at a low level despite the amount of money of I have. I'd need to be working at something, I couldn't sit around the house doing nothing staring at my bank balance. As corny as it sounds I'd probably help my local town out with something they need. Probably a better cancer unit or something, or like ones they have in Dublin and galway but refuse to build up here, the cunts. I would get the old folks homes sorted anyway since we nearly had to put my da in to one.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 11 May 2018, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.