The death of David Goodall should open up the euthanasia-debate

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
never/ever

The death of David Goodall should open up the euthanasia-debate

Postby never/ever » 11 May 2018, 02:07

https://www.smh.com.au/national/austral ... 4zem6.html

A major story here in Australia at the moment. A 104-year old Australian scientist traveling to Switzerland to have his life peacefully ended.

I still am very much at a loss why people anywhere in this world cannot be assisted in making this hard and difficult decision.

Having said that, to see the picture of him saying goodbye to his grandson at the airport broke my heart. I got to say goodbye to my father too before he received an injection. It is so difficult to face that direct moment even knowing that what ensues is in many ways a peaceful and less painful ending.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

fange

Re: The death of David Goodall should open up the euthanasia-debate

Postby fange » 11 May 2018, 02:19

Yep, a very complex debate in every sense, from the legal to the emotional. But it is one that SHOULD be discussed more openly and in-depth.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 May 2018, 03:09

Why did he not just kill himself?
Gadfly

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 May 2018, 07:32

Jimbo wrote:Why did he not just kill himself?

* He tried and failed.
* He wanted to create a conversation about it, not only in Australia but worldwide.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 May 2018, 00:30

Maybe this is not the community to talk about this. That's fine. It's a story that is personal to me and no one else perhaps.

It strikes me that in this day and age, where populism seemingly gets mixed up with all sorts of patriotic, nationalistic and (in various countries anyway) good ole-fashioned religious reasons, this debate gets blurred out in quick-time fashion. Australia may have a stable government but this government's incapability to deal with same-sex marriage on federal level, leading to a plebiscite dominated by random act-attacks on the principle in the spirit of faith, doesn't make for a good breeding ground for possible national legislation if a motion to allow this practice is being passed.

George Carlin

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 May 2018, 06:21

I don’t think its that easy is it? Killing yourself is a lot harder than having an injection. I don’t think I could do it.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 May 2018, 07:01

trans-chigley express wrote:

I don’t think its that easy is it? Killing yourself is a lot harder than having an injection. I don’t think I could do it.

I've heard hereabouts that some people have actually done it.
Gadfly

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 May 2018, 13:43

Our friend Rick when his cancer returned ...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/for ... n-obituary
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 May 2018, 17:58

I read the story. He was very old and said he hadn't been enjoying life at all for the last 10-15 years because of his health.

He lived a full life by almost every measure and got to say goodbye to his loved ones, and them to him. He also met every criteria as established by Switzerland to commit Euthanasia. And there are some societies that view suicide differently, like Japan.

Life is valued and I think one of the arguments is between people who think they're life is devoid of it vs. others who don't feel that way. I don't know who makes that determination, the person or society? I also think the shock can be jarring.

I had an old school friend commit suicide a couple years ago. I'd just seen his younger brother in my hometown shortly before it happened and he mentioned how everything Ted did turned out well. Turns out he did it because of a divorce and custody issues with his children, but he'd passed on his problems as no big deal even to his family.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Dr. Markus

Postby Dr. Markus » 13 May 2018, 18:11

He should be rest before like all the in Ireland. It can make full time like it said,not everyone would go. What can he do about it now?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 May 2018, 18:36

Dr. Markus wrote:He should be rest before like all the in Ireland. It can make full time like it said,not everyone would go. What can he do about it now?

I can't read Gaelic.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.