Weddings

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jeemo

Re: Weddings

Postby Jeemo » 10 May 2018, 23:12

Best wedding I've been to apart from my own. Was a full blown Hindu wedding, Indian cooks came and took over the kitchen and served top notch authentic Indian food all day. Then the reception at night after more food was an absolute riot of dancing and merriment with no alcohol in the ballroom.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 10 May 2018, 23:45

Got married in front of a justice of the peace and lived happily ever after...Been to a few traditional weddings..pretty inane affairs, really, but to each their own...My feet were only slightly singed while in the church part of the ceremonies...lol.. Sort of wish I was at Bob's shindig...sounds pretty a damn cool time...

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 May 2018, 00:00

We had planned to get married in a registrar but my boss at the time was a also a clergyman on the side at the Cathedral in Hong Kong and insisted we got married there and he performed the ceremony too. A far grander affair than I really wanted and as I'm not religious it felt a little hypocritical but my wife is Christian so it was more for her.

If I married again it would be up a mountain, or on a beach

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 May 2018, 04:54

pcqgod wrote:Did you/would you want to have a traditional wedding ceremony, walking down an aisle, vows in front of clergyman, people throwing rice, guys in tuxes with carnations, gals in frilly gowns, wedding march playing on an organ? Or did you/would you want to have a no-frills ceremony in front of a justice of the peace? Did you have, would you want, or have you ever attended an offbeat, theme wedding, like say, wedding on water-skis, or on top of a mountain, or participants wearing Starfleet costumes and reciting vows in Klingon? Or maybe just in front of an Elvis impersonator in Vegas?

We did the Elvis impersonator in Vegas trick. Worked like a charm. First dance was Hunk of Burning Love. :oops:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 May 2018, 05:55

Six String wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Did you/would you want to have a traditional wedding ceremony, walking down an aisle, vows in front of clergyman, people throwing rice, guys in tuxes with carnations, gals in frilly gowns, wedding march playing on an organ? Or did you/would you want to have a no-frills ceremony in front of a justice of the peace? Did you have, would you want, or have you ever attended an offbeat, theme wedding, like say, wedding on water-skis, or on top of a mountain, or participants wearing Starfleet costumes and reciting vows in Klingon? Or maybe just in front of an Elvis impersonator in Vegas?

We did the Elvis impersonator in Vegas trick. Worked like a charm. First dance was Hunk of Burning Love. :oops:

A close friend of mine did the Vegas Elvis impersonator ceremony. Just the couple, the parents and a live cam for friends to watch. Cheesy as hell.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 May 2018, 09:16

We did the large traditional wedding, albeit without having any of the church nonsense. We hired Haigh Hall for the day, which is a local landmark, the former seat of the Earl of Haigh, which is probably only known outside of Wigan for being the venue for a big outside gig by tedious bastards The Verve. Had the full day there, about 50 people for the ceremony and wedding breakfast, and about 150 people at night for the reception. Walked down the aisle to Pachebel's Canon (take that, classical-bores!) played on a harp. I loved the day, I was never particularly fussed about getting married, so much so that the big proposal moment was my wife emailing me to say that Haigh Hall had a day free next September, so we should get married then. But as I say, I'm so glad we did it, one of those rare occasions were everybody close to you comes, and has a proper celebration, and for all the best reasons. The reception, which sounded my idea of fun, was more of a chore, too many people that you have to greet, and by the time they've all arrived, some buggers start leaving, so you spend most of the time stood by the door with a painful face from false-smiling for 3 hours.

That's the place. It's meant to be the most expensive place in the area to get married right now, but when we tied the knot it was run by the council, and cheap as chips. The average wedding was meant to cost £11k at the time, and I think ours was about a quarter of that. The only non-traditional thing was wearing clown-shoes for a large portion of the evening, because I'd always said that weddings were pointlessly expensive, and I'd be so stupid to fork out for one that I'd have to slap up and down the aisle in clown shoes. She didn't actually let me go through the ceremony in them though.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 11 May 2018, 09:24

Nice to see you that you arranged for thunderclouds to sweep over the venue.
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 May 2018, 09:31

Should've photoshopped some lightning, and the four horsemen of the apocalypse into it.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 11 May 2018, 09:42

We got married in a delightful B&B in Hastings. Hired the whole place, had around 65 guests and my wife ensured that the food was top-notch. Our only stipulation really was free booze.

Both of us detest the whole rigmarole of speeches, maids and tradition at weddings. So we did away with all of that and it was much the better for it.

Think we spent about £5K. We spent more going to Argentina for our honeymoon, because frankly, your wedding is not the best day of your life and we would rather spend more going on holiday than one day.

My brother-in-law spent £30k on his wedding and was divorced within a year.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2018, 11:19

I went to a wonderful Greek Cypriot wedding with all sorts of traditional nuptials dances I knew nothing about such as the Brides' circle dance, which was for women only. We pinned money/cheques in envelopes on to Stella's dress which was closely supervised by her Mum and a few other ladies so we didn't prick our fingers and damage the gown. A very happy day.

A quite fancy wedding I went to was my friend Jenny's who married a well known landscape architect at a church in Chelsea almost overlooking the Thames. A pal of theirs who's an opera singer sang some nice choons. The bride and groom travelled to the reception in a traditional London black cab and the guests on an open-topped red double decker bus. The do was at the Kensington Roof Gardens. Lovely sunny day for it. There was a man wandering about playing a tuba from time to time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Roof_Gardens
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 May 2018, 15:18

Jeemo wrote:Best wedding I've been to apart from my own. Was a full blown Hindu wedding, Indian cooks came and took over the kitchen and served top notch authentic Indian food all day. Then the reception at night after more food was an absolute riot of dancing and merriment with no alcohol in the ballroom.

That sounds awesome.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 11 May 2018, 15:45

pcqgod wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Best wedding I've been to apart from my own. Was a full blown Hindu wedding, Indian cooks came and took over the kitchen and served top notch authentic Indian food all day. Then the reception at night after more food was an absolute riot of dancing and merriment with no alcohol in the ballroom.

That sounds awesome.

and then her sisters wedding a few years later was just as good.

At the first one, we were sitting in reception. There was a little girl of 4 or 5 at the next couch. She was tapping out rhythms on the seat. Her mum saod to her that they should've brought her tablas with her. I commented that my brother had kust released an album with a tablas player on it. The mum turned and said are you Tony's brother?

Turned out her husband is the premier Tablas player/teacher in Scotland. Tony asked him to play on the album, which he couldn't manage but recommended the guy that did.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.