If you had a pub/restaurant/bar..

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

Re: If you had a pub/restaurant/bar..

Postby Positive Passion » 06 May 2018, 09:50

I would open a coffee shop, call it Positive Passion, and only sell filter coffee (but from various countries), which you serve yourself from a range of coffee machines down one wall, either for 50p a cup or for £2.50 with free refills - i haven't decided which.

I would like to have a range of sinks and shelves down another wall where the customers wash up their own mugs afterwards, but that might fall foul of hygiene regulations - have to check that out.

The onky food would be biscuits made on the premises.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 06 May 2018, 09:59

gash on ignore wrote:Yummy!

I’ll have the Sushi dong platter and a Big Big Train brew please.

How long am I expected to wait for this? I’ve only got half an hour ffs :(
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 May 2018, 15:33

sloopjohnc wrote:I have a fair amount of friends in the business. One of my oldest friends, after spending lots of time in the hospitality business in San Francisco (Anchor Steam Brewery and the 21st Amendment in San Francisco), he opened his own restaurant and place in Sacramento. He now has two and the food has been featured in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.

http://www.ilovedadskitchen.com

His original place, which he bought with a friend when they were in their 20s, was named Rosie's Bar & Grill. I painted a picture of the three of them on the front, Julio, Carlos, and Matt, all holding a giant burger and the guys at the ends holding mugs of beer.

I have another fairly good friend who owns two places. One, called the Office, which is casual bar and grill. He used to be in real estate.

http://www.theofficesancarlos.com/#about

He also owns a BBQ place very near there.

http://www.3pigbbq.com/

I worked in a two or three neighborhood bar and grills in college and during student teaching.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/canyon-inn-redwood-city

http://www.dutchgoose.net/

I don't know if I'd want to put in the work for all that. If I did, they'd probably be similar to these kind of places.

Ha! Dad's Kitchen is in my neighborhood about five minutes away. They have a second place on S street about ten minutes away that just does sandwiches. Both are good for well priced comfort food.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 04:29

Six String wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I have a fair amount of friends in the business. One of my oldest friends, after spending lots of time in the hospitality business in San Francisco (Anchor Steam Brewery and the 21st Amendment in San Francisco), he opened his own restaurant and place in Sacramento. He now has two and the food has been featured in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.

http://www.ilovedadskitchen.com

His original place, which he bought with a friend when they were in their 20s, was named Rosie's Bar & Grill. I painted a picture of the three of them on the front, Julio, Carlos, and Matt, all holding a giant burger and the guys at the ends holding mugs of beer.

I have another fairly good friend who owns two places. One, called the Office, which is casual bar and grill. He used to be in real estate.

http://www.theofficesancarlos.com/#about

He also owns a BBQ place very near there.

http://www.3pigbbq.com/

I worked in a two or three neighborhood bar and grills in college and during student teaching.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/canyon-inn-redwood-city

http://www.dutchgoose.net/

I don't know if I'd want to put in the work for all that. If I did, they'd probably be similar to these kind of places.

Ha! Dad's Kitchen is in my neighborhood about five minutes away. They have a second place on S street about ten minutes away that just does sandwiches. Both are good for well priced comfort food.

I thought they might be. If you ever see the owner, Julio, tell him you and I are friends. I've known him since seventh grade, we were roommates for a couple years, and he went out with my ex-wife before I did - long story.

Last edited by sloopjohnc on 07 May 2018, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 May 2018, 06:16

Keeping shit simple I'd only serve cans of cold Kirin Lager, bags of crinkle-cut potato chips, play loud music from my iPod and call the place Yo! Jimbo!
Gadfly

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 07 May 2018, 08:51

We have often discussed the fact that the absence of a good bar is the one real problem with my area of Stockholm. OK, it's a suburb but we have a good cafe or two, a decent little restaurant and plenty of other amenities. There is one cruddy sports bar and one bland pub that is OK for watching football but tends to fill up with grizzled beer-bellied older blokes. The area has a very mixed population but there are a lot of young professionals and young families and, given its proximity to hip Södermalm, a perfect potential customer base for a bar with good music, a wider range of drinks, barstaff with tattoos and beards etc.

I would happily open up such a place if I had the capital and any knowledge of how to run a bar. But I don't.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 07 May 2018, 09:43

PENK wrote:one bland pub that is OK for watching football but tends to fill up with grizzled beer-bellied older blokes

Swedish Jolly Up?
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 May 2018, 16:43

LeBaron wrote:
Toby wrote:You see, this is where UK and the US differs.

No-one in their right mind would EVER call their establishment after themselves in the UK, unless it's a greasy spoon cafe. So "Kev's Cafe" is about as far it goes. Calling your bar "Dave's" or "Cathy's" is just NOT ON.

This fits in with my plan to scandalize/excite uptight Britishers by opening up a law office with bombastic, American Style commercials where I holler about demanding the justice you deserve.

I’ll have to expand my empire to include Yee-Haw Mike’s Howdy Corral! Or some such.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When this happens can we start calling you "The Strong Arm?"

Also, I'd like a doormat-sized Chicken Fried Steak, please, counselor.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 May 2018, 22:26

Positive Passion wrote:I would open a coffee shop, call it Positive Passion, and only sell filter coffee (but from various countries), which you serve yourself from a range of coffee machines down one wall, either for 50p a cup or for £2.50 with free refills - i haven't decided which.

I would like to have a range of sinks and shelves down another wall where the customers wash up their own mugs afterwards, but that might fall foul of hygiene regulations - have to check that out.

Who on earth goes to a place to have four coffees?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 23:05

Robert wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I would open a coffee shop, call it Positive Passion, and only sell filter coffee (but from various countries), which you serve yourself from a range of coffee machines down one wall, either for 50p a cup or for £2.50 with free refills - i haven't decided which.

Who on earth goes to a place to have four coffees?

And after four cups, I don't know if I'd want someone so jittery washing and handling ceramic cups and saucers.

They might wash up quickly, but half of the stuff would be broken.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 May 2018, 03:33

There is a restaurant in Japan that serves only canned foods, and I love canned foods. You, the customer, pull from shelves the individually-sized cans of fish, meat, curry, soup, etc., you want. You bring it to the cashier who microwaves it and serves it on a plate or bowl and you take it to a table and eat. How easy it would be to run a place like that!
Gadfly

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 08 May 2018, 08:42

Jimbo wrote:There is a restaurant in Japan that serves only canned foods, and I love canned foods. You, the customer, pull from shelves the individually-sized cans of fish, meat, curry, soup, etc., you want. You bring it to the cashier who microwaves it and serves it on a plate or bowl and you take it to a table and eat. How easy it would be to run a place like that!

There was a place that got in the UK news a couple of years ago, a cafe selling breakfast cereals. It was controversial not so much for the idea, which is daft but apparently works, but for the fact that they were selling a bowl of cereal for higher than the supermarket price for a whole packet, in some of the poorer areas of London.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 May 2018, 10:05

PENK wrote:
Jimbo wrote:There is a restaurant in Japan that serves only canned foods, and I love canned foods. You, the customer, pull from shelves the individually-sized cans of fish, meat, curry, soup, etc., you want. You bring it to the cashier who microwaves it and serves it on a plate or bowl and you take it to a table and eat. How easy it would be to run a place like that!

There was a place that got in the UK news a couple of years ago, a cafe selling breakfast cereals. It was controversial not so much for the idea, which is daft but apparently works, but for the fact that they were selling a bowl of cereal for higher than the supermarket price for a whole packet, in some of the poorer areas of London.

It's the sort of thing people clean up with at Glastonbury... A stand selling toast and marmite.

Although to be fair they are probably a front for massive drug dealing :?

Which reminds me, for a while there was a shop half way up Elm Grove in Brighton that seemed to sell just oranges.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 08 May 2018, 10:15

Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 08 May 2018, 12:18

Terry's
Rhyl
Sandwiches

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2018, 15:17

Well, if you don't aim for the stars...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 May 2018, 17:01

gash on ignore wrote:http://www.cerealkillercafe.co.uk/

4 shops now.

I like it. They should get Jerry Seinfeld to endorse it. One of the constant shticks of the show was that he always had tons of cereal and ate nothing but.

I looked up the cafes' social media accounts, where he should be strong. They are - sounds like he or she has a good thing going.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 May 2018, 17:19

Steak and Chick food based bar.
The steaks would be flavored with beer or sprits. Slight tangent targeting people in to fitness in terms of pushing the high protein content. So steak, sweet potato chips, veg etc with homemade healthy as fuck ice cream or cheese cake for example.

Don't have a name for it yet.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 08 May 2018, 17:48

"Dr. Markus's 3D House of Shillelaghs"
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 May 2018, 18:00

Dr Markus wrote:Steak and Chick food based bar.
The steaks would be flavored with beer or sprits. Slight tangent targeting people in to fitness in terms of pushing the high protein content. So steak, sweet potato chips, veg etc with homemade healthy as fuck ice cream or cheese cake for example.

Don't have a name for it yet.