Comey on Newsnight last night

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
BOLLY BEE
hounds people off the board

Comey on Newsnight last night

Postby BOLLY BEE » 20 Apr 2018, 11:46

Honest? I think so. Self-serving? Absolutely. Slimy? Possibly. Dull as fuck? I think so.

Scaramucci was on the same show later and he was a little more subdued than I've seen him before - but still a shady cunt.

It's all fun and games, innit? :)
Copehead wrote:Rather amusingly I remembered a very expensive 3* meal I ate that did disappoint slightly

BOLLY BEE

Re: Comey on Newsnight last night

Postby BOLLY BEE » 20 Apr 2018, 17:37

Ah, right. Yeah.
Copehead wrote:Rather amusingly I remembered a very expensive 3* meal I ate that did disappoint slightly

BOLLY BEE

Postby BOLLY BEE » 20 Apr 2018, 17:40

NO WAY!

BOLLY BEE

Postby BOLLY BEE » 20 Apr 2018, 17:41

Copehead wrote:a blibby blobby blob? blippity bloopity bloob?

Not today thanks.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 20 Apr 2018, 17:43

I think one of the most unspoken things about this whole matter is how the people defending TRUMP sound.

it's not like "there was no wrong doing and we'll get to the bottom of it and do the hard work of making Amercian great again bla bla bla..."
the Mooch and nearly everybody who speaks up on the President's behalf seem to express the sentiment that he has something to hide and that he should be able to hide it... don't you think?
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 21 Apr 2018, 06:37

Colbert tried to get an answer from him on the timing of the Hillary inquiry. He does give what seems to be a reasonable response but elsewhere (I'll try to find the source and quote) it appears he had answered that he did it because it looked like Clinton would win.

Also, he's said that he doesn't want Trump impeached because he wants the American public to take responsibility and vote him out next time - meanwhile saying he did everything he could to be fair (ie saying there's no responsibility at his door). Still, a good interview

His self-serving also comes across in this article https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02 ... tor-letter

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Apr 2018, 07:04

Yeah, I was pretty well won over by the Colbert interview - "won over" in the sense that I think he's basically credible, and that his intentions were basically honorable (for whatever that's worth).

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Apr 2018, 16:03

I've seen and heard him on at least six or seven TV and radio discussion shows this week.

The most interesting thing to me is his explanation of why he disclosed the FBI's recommendation not to prosecute Clinton because of the emails.

He says it was between transparency and concealment. In an interview I heard yesterday, he said if he had it do to over again, Anthony Weiner would've never been born.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Apr 2018, 16:04

sneelock wrote:I think one of the most unspoken things about this whole matter is how the people defending TRUMP sound.

it's not like "there was no wrong doing and we'll get to the bottom of it and do the hard work of making Amercian great again bla bla bla..."
the Mooch and nearly everybody who speaks up on the President's behalf seem to express the sentiment that he has something to hide and that he should be able to hide it... don't you think?

I'm also surprised the word "Benghazi" hasn't popped up. It seems to be their go-to with everything Clinton in the end.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Apr 2018, 17:22

Charlie O. wrote:Yeah, I was pretty well won over by the Colbert interview - "won over" in the sense that I think he's basically credible, and that his intentions were basically honorable (for whatever that's worth).

He acquitted himself well in that interview, but I’m not sold.

I do think he is basically credible. But one can be credible and self-serving at the same time. I think he is honest about the facts. But the way he rationalizes his decision-making process strikes me as patently dishonest. In particular,the framing he uses about the October 28 decision in which he saw two “doors.”

In interview after interview, he reverts to exactly the same language when he describes this dilemma. Colbert challenged him on it a little (more than anyone else I’ve seen), but he then relented after a pretty weak response.

It loads the deck pretty heavily to label the door on which he refrains from making an announcement as “conceal” - and then loads it even more when he posits that the “speak” option would be really bad, but “concealing would be a catastrophe.”

You wonder what kind of “catastrophe” he imagines.

One thing that becomes crystal clear if you listen to multiple interviews with the guy (I haven’t read his book) is that his primary stated concern is always about the perception of the agency he clearly loves. On one level, I get an agency director caring deeply about that. But he appears to put that concern first - even above country itself.

My read on the guy is that he is extremely invested in perceptions. About the FBI AND about himself. I think he envisioned himself getting to spend 4 years playing the Capra-esque embodiment of integrity and apple pie to Crooked Hillary and was licking his chops at the prospect. He would have been able to protect her from the right wing lynch mob on one hand, and call her out for her failings on the other - and in the process, Americans would fall in love with their last honest man.

But he gamed it out wrong. He never believed Trump could win, so he didn’t see the real door with neon lights flashing “CATASTROPHIC” as a meaningful warning.

Now it is all damage control. Write a book with a sanctimonious title about having a higher calling. Do the talk shows with his practiced riffs about how honest his mistakes were. Tell the people that you are doing so as a public service to the rest of us, so that we can all see what honor, integrity and leadership look like on the tv machine.

Nah. I don’t buy his shtick. He can’t go away fast enough for me.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Apr 2018, 19:22

You make some good points.

The reason there isn't much variation in his interviews is that there can't be - he can't risk "going off script". He's a witness in an ongoing investigation, he's already testified, and he knows that if he "remembers" anything even slightly differently in a media interview all hell will break loose. While I have a bit more faith in his basic "goodness" than you do, I'll admit that I find the timing of this book and tour highly questionable and ill-advised.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 23 Apr 2018, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 22 Apr 2018, 22:02

Samantha Bee ain’t letting the guy (or his media coverage) off the hook

I have misgivings galore but I think one good thing is coming of it - it counteracts the newly minted and preposterous narrative that the FBI is run by lefties who are part of Hillary Clinton’s Bond Villian takeover of the institutions of government, I don’t think anybody really believes that crap and boring old James Comey giving what he thinks are reasonable explanations underlines this in a pretty dramatic way. The narrative defies logic. Comey may not sound as logical as he thinks but he is clearly not out to make things easy for Hillary Clinton and her supposed network of partisan goons.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.