Nicknames

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Nicknames

Postby Toby » 18 Apr 2018, 11:34

Do you know anyone with unusual mononyms that have stuck through the ages?

I have an acquaintance called "Pockets". He got the name about 25 years ago and it has gained traction through the years to the point where even his sons call him it.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Re: Nicknames

Postby CAN » 18 Apr 2018, 11:40

Not so unusual, but my mate GONZO doesn't really go by anything else. Only his parents called him by his real name.
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Apr 2018, 12:11

The first to come to mind is Chip, who acquired the name when she went out with a guy called Dale for a couple of weeks as a teenager, and was known by it, even by family members, for half a century after.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 18 Apr 2018, 12:22

Two come instantly to mind, both fractions related:

7/16ths
Because that is the size of the heated imperial socket that Doug somehow managed to drop on his forehead when working under a car, leaving a perfect hexagonal scar for life. Like Harry Potter but funnier. Well it is now, he swore like fuck at the time.

7&3/8ths
Because when Tony was daydreaming during an O'level maths lesson on binary numbers (so, yes, dealing only with ones and zeros) and Mrs McLean asked him to answer a question out of the blue and he panicked, 7&3/8ths was the number that Alice whispered to him and which he blurted out. Even the teacher laughed.

I am sure there must be more.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Apr 2018, 12:26

Was this kind of thing more common years ago? My Dad told me that when he was growing up damn near everybody had nicknames and they were often handed down from Father to Son. My Dad was called Dimes as was his Father.

Is there not some law in Scotland whereby if enough people refer to you by your nickname then that's legal or summat?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Apr 2018, 12:52

Goat Boy wrote:Was this kind of thing more common years ago? My Dad told me that when he was growing up damn near everybody had nicknames and they were often handed down from Father to Son. My Dad was called Dimes as was his Father.

Is there not some law in Scotland whereby if enough people refer to you by your nickname then that's legal or summat?

It happens in Brazil doesn't it? The names they have are all nicknames rather than their family names. I'm not sure how that works, I mean if you're called'Smelly' at school are you forced to have to keep the name for the rest of your life?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 18 Apr 2018, 12:55

I think even his mum calls the bear "Yompy"
The Rolling Stones Complete Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 18 Apr 2018, 12:56

Surely the best of all is Plato.
Heard this on the radio the other day: the great philosopher we all quote and refer to by his name, and all the gravitas that imbibes, actually just means "Fatty". It was a childhood nickname that stuck.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Apr 2018, 12:57

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Was this kind of thing more common years ago? My Dad told me that when he was growing up damn near everybody had nicknames and they were often handed down from Father to Son. My Dad was called Dimes as was his Father.

It happens in Brazil doesn't it? The names they have are all nicknames rather than their family names. I'm not sure how that works, I mean if you're called'Smelly' at school are you forced to have to keep the name for the rest of your life?

There's an interesting explanation here..
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footb ... ained.html

I don't really get it though. :lol:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 Apr 2018, 13:02

My Brother's nickname was Hilda after a coronation street character Hilda Ogden. Apparently because he would never shut up in class and get himself and friends in trouble because of it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Apr 2018, 13:07

The Modernist wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

There's an interesting explanation here..
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footb ... ained.html

I don't really get it though. :lol:

I think it's nice.

It would be a bit odd if our footballers did this mind. I mean the nicknames at my school were shit like: Toad, Minky, Itchy, Chops...

"And that was a sensational lob by Toad there! Sublime play by the Scottish midfielder..."
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Apr 2018, 13:07

My mate is Anex. No idea why or what it means but no-one can call him anything else (except his mum).
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 18 Apr 2018, 17:50

My dad is called Bill by everyone (my grandparents called him by his real name of course) because our surname is Bailey. After the song 'Won't you come home...' His first name is not William.

A friend at school was called Sid because his surname was Nott and his first name begins with S, hence S Nott and thus Sid Snot - after the then popular hilarious Kenny Everett character! He dropped the whole thing like a hot brick when he went to uni. He had to put up with the embarrssment of me calling him Sid when I visited though :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 18 Apr 2018, 19:40

People of my acquaintance at university referred to various unfortunates as Big Nose, Big Hair, Pizza Face..
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 18 Apr 2018, 20:10

One of my parents' greatest friends was called Cheese. It went well with his surname.
(I forget what his real first name was.)
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 18 Apr 2018, 20:54

There was a lad at school (Melvyn) who is known to all as Bouncy from the time he fell down a steep slope in the Peak District - school camp in Edale - and was observed to be bouncing down.

CAN

Postby CAN » 18 Apr 2018, 21:02

We called a lad CHOC DIP COCK for years cos he put choc dip on his cock and got the dog to lick it off

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Apr 2018, 21:15

A mate: Nivea

Apparently he used to squirt Nivea Cream up his arse and shit it back out again.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Apr 2018, 21:16

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:We called a lad CHOC DIP COCK for years cos he put choc dip on his cock and got the dog to lick it off

It's like the fella I knew called DOG TOSSER.

One act when he was 12 or whatever and that was it.

CAN

Postby CAN » 18 Apr 2018, 21:17

:lol: :lol: :lol: (Fonz too)

I LOVE stuff like this!