Deep Thoughts...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Davey the Fat Boy

Deep Thoughts...

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Apr 2018, 05:37

...or you know - shit that passes for deep here at BCB.

This thread is for those articles, podcasts, videos and other great things you come across, but don’t really know if they’d be valued here. Subject matter can be philosophy, science, spirituality...whatever you think is interesting (though let’s not pollute it with a bunch of conspiracy theory videos and/or political videos, unless they have a deal with politics from a larger philosophical POV). Any discussion that results would be gravy.

Anyhow - I’ll get the ball rolling with this old video of David Foster Wallace giving a commencement speech at Kenyon College in 2005:

The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Deep Thoughts...

Postby Toby » 18 Apr 2018, 09:00

I know Jordan Peterson is everywhere at the moment, but this half hour chat with the great Iain McGilchrist on the left and right sides of the brain is well worth everyone's time.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Apr 2018, 00:26

I don't expect to convert anyone here, but I will share something. De Mello is one of the best things I've come across in years. Hard to know where to start -- his epic "Awareness" talk is the Ring of spiritual talks -- so just start anywhere. Here is one ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 19 Apr 2018, 05:57

Gadfly

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 21 Apr 2018, 10:18

Toby wrote:

I know Jordan Peterson is everywhere at the moment, but this half hour chat with the great Iain McGilchrist on the left and right sides of the brain is well worth everyone's time.

I've not had chance to watch this so I might be totally missing the argument, but there's virtually no evidence of left brain/right brain thinking.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/rig ... 7082512222

There are loads of brain/learning myths prevalent in education.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Apr 2018, 13:07

And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Apr 2018, 19:42

Quaco wrote:I don't expect to convert anyone here, but I will share something. De Mello is one of the best things I've come across in years. Hard to know where to start -- his epic "Awareness" talk is the Ring of spiritual talks -- so just start anywhere. Here is one ...

Enjoyed that. I’ve heard of de Mello, but don’t think I’ve ever investigated. Will dig a bit deeper.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Apr 2018, 20:14

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Quaco wrote:I don't expect to convert anyone here, but I will share something. De Mello is one of the best things I've come across in years. Hard to know where to start -- his epic "Awareness" talk is the Ring of spiritual talks -- so just start anywhere. Here is one ...

Enjoyed that. I’ve heard of de Mello, but don’t think I’ve ever investigated. Will dig a bit deeper.

Thanks! Many religious people don't like him and the official Catholic word is that he's not to be followed. Amazing human and gone way too soon. But then again, maybe he did what he was supposed to do ...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Apr 2018, 20:16

:) DeMello uses the fish swimming in water story also!

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 21 Apr 2018, 20:59

On the subject of prayer.

Lord, let my quarter notes be even today

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 22 Apr 2018, 16:50

Toby wrote:

Good that – a relaxed and sprawling conversation about heady stuff. I reckon they’ve been at the Lagavulin. McGilchrist’s The Master and his Emissary is an excellent read and I’m glad to hear he’s writing a new book. “There are no things, there are processes.” As a panpsychist and mysterian :o I can only say I want to read more about that. It’s interesting what they say about music – touching on Schopenhauer’s idea that if the world and everything in it ended, music would survive.

BOLLY BEE
hounds people off the board

Postby BOLLY BEE » 22 Apr 2018, 18:00

Toby wrote:

Interesting up to a point - you can get caught up in the discussion and enjoy the challenges they present - but that left/right hemisphere stuff was discredited in most academic circles a long time ago.
Copehead wrote:Rather amusingly I remembered a very expensive 3* meal I ate that did disappoint slightly

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Apr 2018, 20:36

Thanks to Gash for introducing this man to the science discussion and to Copey for dismissing his ideas based on his unwillingness to condemn religiosity (despite being an atheist himself). I figured if he got Copey bent out of shape he couldn't be all bad. :D Turns out I was right. I don't agree with everything he says here by a longshot, but it's a thought-provoking lecture:

sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Apr 2018, 20:54

By the way, I like this thread a great deal. I'm hoping more can contribute. (By which I mean thought-provoking posts and ideas, though I guess there's no harm in the occasional one-of snarky joke post if just sticks a pin in the balloon then moves on...)
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 29 Apr 2018, 21:14

toomanyhatz wrote:Thanks to Gash for introducing this man to the science discussion and to Copey for dismissing his ideas based on his unwillingness to condemn religiosity (despite being an atheist himself). I figured if he got Copey bent out of shape he couldn't be all bad. :D Turns out I was right. I don't agree with everything he says here by a longshot, but it's a thought-provoking lecture:

I don't think I was dismissing his ideas for his unwillingness to condemn religiosity. I wouldn't condemn religiosity, I am sure it helps many people personally.

I think what I was condemning him for was his strawmanning of atheism, creating 7 types of atheist that practically no atheist would define themselves by and the saying why they were bad.

I parodied how easy, and stupid, this sort of argument is.

Perhaps I used words which were too long or the UK and the US really are 2 nations divided by a common language or something but I could have sworn it wasn't that easy to misunderstand.

I see what he is doing here is complaining about how science could, but inconveniently hasn't so far, concentrate power in fewer and fewer hands, while appearing to forget that religion has been doing exactly that for millennia.

He doesn't strike me as a thinker from the top draw; I have never been the smartest guy in any room, apart from Geography A level, but I listened to about 30 seconds of that before I realised the great big trumpeting elephant in the room that he probably wasn't going to address.

His desire to attack science and the concept of civilisational progress when he doesn't appear to understand the former or be able to fully reject the latter makes him a figure of fun in intellectual scientific circles; I don't mix in those myself preferring to slum it in here where I can strut it as the alpha intellect rather than go on a science board where I would be hooting like a proboscis monkey compared to my fellow posters.

That is my shame.
Last edited by Copehead on 29 Apr 2018, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Apr 2018, 21:18

Great. That's out of the way now. Would you like to contribute anything to this thread?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 29 Apr 2018, 21:28

toomanyhatz wrote:Great. That's out of the way now. Would you like to contribute anything to this thread?

I already did.

I think Douglas Adams had one of the most brilliant butterfly minds of the late 20th century.
I think we would all probably get a lot more out of (re)reading his "trilogy" than anything else posted on this thread if we want to contemplate some big questions, and laugh.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Apr 2018, 21:40

Copehead wrote:I think Douglas Adams had one of the most brilliant butterfly minds of the late 20th century.
I think we would all probably get a lot more out of (re)reading his "trilogy" than anything else posted on this thread if we want to contemplate some big questions, and laugh.

I'm all for laughing. But we have threads for that. I think this one has promise if taken seriously, and I hope more folks will contribute.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 29 Apr 2018, 21:45

Copehead wrote:; I don't mix in those myself preferring to slum it in here where I can strut it as the alpha intellect

You just can't help yourself can you.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Apr 2018, 22:00

Copehead wrote:
I see what he is doing here is complaining about how science could, but inconveniently hasn't so far, concentrate power in fewer and fewer hands, while appearing to forget that religion has been doing exactly that for millennia.

I don't hear it as a complaint. I hear it as basic pessimism about humanity, which I happen to share.[EDIT: The fact that you instantly leaped to the conclusion that this was another science vs. religion discussion, when it's nothing of the kind, of course speaks volumes, but in deference to others posting here I don't think this is the place to discuss it.]

George Carlin (another atheist that I admire) commented on it humorously:

George Carlin wrote:My interest in "issues" is merely to point out how badly we're doing, not to suggest a way we might do better. Don't confuse me with those who cling to hope...I sincerely believe that if you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem. [P.S.] - if, by some chance, you folks do manage to straighten things out...I still don't wish to be included

:lol:

He also doesn't bring up religion in any other way than to identify whether it affects the thinking of the sources he's quoting.

He doesn't strike me as a thinker from the top draw...His desire to attack science and the concept of civilisational progress when he doesn't appear to understand the former or be able to fully reject the latter makes him a figure of fun in intellectual scientific circles;

Not so, actually. Like any other modern thinker, he has his detractors and his adherents. He seems generally well-respected based on the little research I've done; though I admit I did momentarily confuse him with the guy that wrote the "Venus and Mars" books (with whom he shares his rather common name).