The cost of getting drunk

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Are bar and restaurant drink prices okay by you?

I have no qualms.
36%
I have qualms.
64%
Just water for me please.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

The cost of getting drunk

Postby Jimbo » 13 Apr 2018, 03:34

I'm about to go out tonight to a bar with my wife and a friend but before going I filled a flask with cheap whisky to have a snort or two before entering the bar. Why? Because the cost of bar booze is too damn high! I often wonder how much a beer would cost if bought in a supermarket and the bar price is usually easily triple the price. In restaurants I'll always order a carafe of the house wine. I don't think I've ever bought a bottle in a restaurant. But look at to whom I'm talking frugality, the same guys who'd buy the LP, CD and MP3 download of a 40 year old Who album they already have. The god of the economy thanks you but does your generosity extend to drink?
Question authority.

Dr Markus

Re: The cost of getting drunk

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2018, 11:45

Out for a good time, not a long time. Just accept that you're gonna/might spend a lot of money on beer, and just enjoy it. If not, stay at home.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 13 Apr 2018, 21:02

Yeah, sometimes we'll drink a bit before we go into a more expensive place. A couple beers in the parking lot or if there's somewhere next door.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Apr 2018, 21:41

We've smuggled vodka into ridiculously priced hotels at weddings and things. Normally, if I'm out going out for a proper meal with the wife, I'm not going to scrimp and save, we don't get out that much, and restaurants tend to make all their profit on the mark up on the booze. If I'm on a night out drinking, I don't want to drink ahead of schedule, I don't like getting drunk. I just like to keep at a level where I'm devastatingly witty and attractive in my own head, and that self-image gets ruined when I can hear myself slurring, or rolling around in my own vomit.

I don't tend to drink cheap stuff at home either, mind you. Because I don't get out much, I think I'd be paying £15 for a £5 bottle of wine in a restaurant if I was out, so I might as well get a £15 bottle when I'm in.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Apr 2018, 21:46

Quaco wrote:Yeah, sometimes we'll drink a bit before we go into a more expensive place. A couple beers in the parking lot or if there's somewhere next door.

In the parking lot?

Are you 17?

I rarely drink in pubs these days. At the most I might have a couple of pints but that's it. I'm quite content with 5 quid bottles of wine and a 4 pack of beer.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 15 Apr 2018, 21:50

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Apr 2018, 17:51

If I'm on my way to a show and I don't have a lot of money in my pocket, I may pour some vodka into an orange soda bottle and toast up on the walk to the venue.

Although lately I don't bother. I'm enjoying going out sober, or largely sober, a lot more as I approach 50. I don't mind paying for one ten-dollar drink a night as the price of having a nice spot to go to, but you don't want to be getting hammered at market rate.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Apr 2018, 17:53

Goat Boy wrote:
Quaco wrote:Yeah, sometimes we'll drink a bit before we go into a more expensive place. A couple beers in the parking lot or if there's somewhere next door.

In the parking lot?

Are you 17?

Lately as I'm drinking less, I often find myself using my car as de-facto dressing room when I have long hours between soundchack and the show. I used to drink and smoke out of sheer boredom, habitually, during that down time and since quitting smoking I have had to develop new habits.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Apr 2018, 18:21

Quaco wrote: A couple beers in the parking lot

:lol:

Do you bring a beer bong to get buzzed faster?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Apr 2018, 19:00

I don't really go out anymore to bars to drink large quantities of alcohol so it's not really a problem. If I'm going out, it's usually to dinner where I'll have a glass or two of wine or share a bottle. If I'm going out to a place to meet a friend to watch a game, the most I'm drinking is a couple pints and then there will invariably be some kind of gnoshing food or a burger to go with it.

I'll factor the cost of a good glass or bottle of wine to go with it. And if you go to a place that serves good micro-brew beers, the pints are around $7-8. That's not going to kill my wallet if I'm only drinking a couple.

I hardly ever order hard alcohol or shots anymore. And if I do, I order the cheap house alcohol for shots since I'm chasing it.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 Apr 2018, 19:52

You left out the word "lite" there before alcohol, pints, beers.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Apr 2018, 21:16

Dr Markus wrote:You left out the word "lite" there before alcohol, pints, beers.

If you were here, I'd "lite" you up!

Return to “Nextdoorland”