Should the West have intervened against Syria in 2013?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Should the West have intervened against Syria in 2013?

Postby Copehead » 10 Apr 2018, 20:16

Jimbo wrote:
There is no longer any doubt that the criminally insane government in Washington is driving the world to the last war.

Good job someone insane like Hilary Clinton isn't in charge.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Apr 2018, 08:19

On the Radio 4 news this morning, they reported that airlines operating in the region have been warned of the likelihood of missile strikes on military targets in Syria in the coming days.

I'm due to fly from Istanbul to Muscat on Sunday afternoon.

I haven't flown with Turkish Airlines for a while, but they used to have a very pleasantly liberal policy on dishing out bottles of wine on their flights. I fervently hope that's still the case :lol:
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Apr 2018, 19:15

Copehead wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
There is no longer any doubt that the criminally insane government in Washington is driving the world to the last war.

Good job someone insane like Hilary Clinton isn't in charge.

Jimbo was right about that too.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Apr 2018, 08:47

Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Apr 2018, 16:18

Gadfly

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 12 Apr 2018, 17:34

oh shut up you fucking imbecile
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 14 Apr 2018, 13:26

Incredible.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 14 Apr 2018, 14:11

WTF!!!
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Apr 2018, 15:25

The Prof wrote:Incredible.

It is/was.
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Apr 2018, 16:04

Now might you be seeing things my way? That you are being lied to, that this is all a (deep) government op coordinated with the media to destroy Syria?

Just watched a NHK doc about a Syrian family who are now refugees in Japan. Five years in they are struggling to fit in and in the youngest daughter's case she is doing well. The father, a proud former owner of a five star restaurant in Damascus is a shut in who watches TV and smokes his water pipe and I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't hang himself one day soon.

We, the US and UK have destroyed Syria. It's on us.
Gadfly

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Apr 2018, 16:55

Jimbo wrote:Now might you be seeing things my way?

No.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Apr 2018, 11:04

The comparative lack of replies and debate on this thread speaks volumes I think. I don't think many people have got a clear idea what we should do about Syria or what our responsibilities are.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2018, 11:07

It's obviously an immensely complex dispute - it's understandable that people don't really know what to do.

However I don't see how escalating the bombing in any helps resolve the issue.
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Apr 2018, 13:11

The Modernist wrote:The comparative lack of replies and debate on this thread speaks volumes I think. I don't think many people have got a clear idea what we should do about Syria or what our responsibilities are.

Well no, we don't.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Apr 2018, 13:26

Diamond Dog wrote:It's obviously an immensely complex dispute - it's understandable that people don't really know what to do.

However I don't see how escalating the bombing in any helps resolve the issue.

No I also don't know how it will help. At the same time what do you do about the use of chemical weapons? You can't just ignore it.

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 15 Apr 2018, 13:44

If you believe the official line (and in this case I don't see why not) then there hasn't been an escalation, rather specific targets (chemical weapons factories and storage facilities) have been targeted.

Of course there'll be collateral damage and probably civilian casualties and that's where the anger comes from.

I really don't know. Some commentators have said we should have left Syria alone altogether - that any kind of intervention just prolongs the agony. But if we had done that, we'd have been accused of neglect - at least.

And we still don't know what exactly Assad is responsible for. I have a friend whose parents do diplomatic work in Syria and she tells me he (Assad) is fine and all the accusations are fabricated by the West.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2018, 13:47

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:If you believe the official line (and in this case I don't see why not) .............

And we still don't know what exactly Assad is responsible for. I have a friend whose parents do diplomatic work in Syria and she tells me he (Assad) is fine and all the accusations are fabricated by the West.

So which one is it then?

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 15 Apr 2018, 13:48

I don't know!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Apr 2018, 20:15

The Modernist wrote:The comparative lack of replies and debate on this thread speaks volumes I think. I don't think many people have got a clear idea what we should do about Syria or what our responsibilities are.

I think it's kinda too little, too late, from my own perspective. The west should have addressed this a long time ago. Seems like we're throwing band aids at the situation now.

I think I read this week that the US had admitted 11 Syrian refugees in the past year. 11.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2018, 05:12

Speaking in a live TV interview, during which he was grilled on several subjects, Mr Macron said: "Ten days ago, President Trump was saying 'the United States should withdraw from Syria'. We convinced him it was necessary to stay for the long term."

I don't know. Maybe it's just my Jimbo getting the better of me. But Trump says he's pulling out, Macron persuades him otherwise and .... ten days ago would have been 4th or 5th April (when the conversation took place)... Syria allegedly launches chemical weapons attack on the 7th.... Trump (along with Macron & May) launch attacks a week later.

That certainly looks highly convenient, doesn't it?