rank the European cities

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
gash on ignore
cultural defective

Re: rank the European cities

Postby gash on ignore » 13 Apr 2018, 09:48

Darkness_Fish wrote:I remember going to a restaurant in Paris, they took our drinks order, then basically served everyone around us and completely ignored us for the next 45 minutes. Some students came over and basically apologised on behalf of the French, said we'd be better off leaving, they were so embarrassed at the way we were being treated. Recommended somewhere friendlier. So in one single night out I experienced both the worst and the best of Parisian behaviour.

To our shame, we couldn't understand their instructions, got lost, and ate in Pizza Hut instead. Which was nice.

Only to be expected when you order a pint of Bats blood mate.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 13 Apr 2018, 10:15

Toby wrote:
Shitholes

Athens (Apart from the ruins)

Those are some pretty magnificent ruins though.

My experience of Athens was similar to my time in Delhi, I didn't really notice the shabbiness of some of it, because the grandeur of the good stuff is so stunning.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Apr 2018, 10:35

I don’t mind shabbyness sometimes.
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 13 Apr 2018, 10:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:I remember going to a restaurant in Paris, they took our drinks order, then basically served everyone around us and completely ignored us for the next 45 minutes. Some students came over and basically apologised on behalf of the French, said we'd be better off leaving, they were so embarrassed at the way we were being treated. Recommended somewhere friendlier. So in one single night out I experienced both the worst and the best of Parisian behaviour.

To our shame, we couldn't understand their instructions, got lost, and ate in Pizza Hut instead. Which was nice.

You went to Paris and ate in Pizza Hut.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 13 Apr 2018, 12:45

I was in a restaurant in Zurich once with my wife and our kids and a nephew. It was late and although we were the only people there apart from a group across the room who were drinking, not eating, our order was a long time coming. After a bit, the conversation on the other table started getting agitated and they started raising their voices. I could make out snippets of what they were saying: “Why do you let them in?”, “They just come in through the door”, “I wish you’d get rid of them”, “Send them back where they came from”, stuff like that. With occasional glances in our direction. This was getting my hackles up and I had a good mind to go up to them and say now listen here you fucking cuckoo clock-inventing fucks etc. etc. Instead, the waiter appeared and I asked him if there was some kind of problem. Yes there was, he said, and pointed to it: a mouse running across the floor. He explained that the restaurant had a problem with mice that darted in off the street when people came in and the owner – one of the group on the other table – was at his wits’ end because of them.

Then things turned dadaesque! They’d called in some kind of mouse-whisperer who reckoned he could use mind control to steer the mice into traps under the windows with ultra-violet light bulbs that would hypnotize and immobilize them without actually hurting them. Once there were a few hypnotized mice in the box the mouse-whisperer would drive them out to a field and set them free. He was a big fat permanently-winded geezer and he spent the next half hour lolling about on the floor puffing and grunting and getting caught up in his own coat tails as he tried to coax the mice into the traps. I like to keep an open mind about these things but by the time our food arrived the mice outnumbered the people and they were running up the chair legs and everything. They were really cute little things and apparently never went into the kitchen (a likely story).

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 13 Apr 2018, 17:18

Goat Boy wrote:I don’t mind shabbyness sometimes.

It's subjective sometimes, isn't it?

I always think of Calcutta as a complete dump, probably more than anything else because the first time I went, the night I arrived the place was on fire due to rioting, and the next day I got the worst case of the shits I've ever had, couldn't be more than six feet from a toilet for two days.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 13 Apr 2018, 17:50

Calcutta gutta?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 13 Apr 2018, 19:14

Goat Boy wrote:I don’t mind shabbyness sometimes.

Yeah we've seen your wardrobe
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Robert

Postby Robert » 17 Apr 2018, 12:11

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Paris
Berlin
Barcelona
Istanbul
London
Amsterdam
Venice
Dublin
Lisbon
Brussels
Krakow
Seville
Rome
Munich
Florence
Prague
Madrid
Vienna
Copenhagen
Milan
Budapest
Stockholm
Warsaw
Munich
Bruges
Lucerne
Athens
Valencia
Dubrovnik
Porto
Thessaloniki
Oslo
Helsinki

Really, no Rotterdam :roll:

More Berlin than Berlin. Plus, added bonus, less Germans too.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Apr 2018, 22:01

echolalia wrote:

I was in a restaurant in Zurich once with my wife and our kids and a nephew. It was late and although we were the only people there apart from a group across the room who were drinking, not eating, our order was a long time coming. After a bit, the conversation on the other table started getting agitated and they started raising their voices. I could make out snippets of what they were saying: “Why do you let them in?”, “They just come in through the door”, “I wish you’d get rid of them”, “Send them back where they came from”, stuff like that. With occasional glances in our direction. This was getting my hackles up and I had a good mind to go up to them and say now listen here you fucking cuckoo clock-inventing fucks etc. etc. Instead, the waiter appeared and I asked him if there was some kind of problem. Yes there was, he said, and pointed to it: a mouse running across the floor. He explained that the restaurant had a problem with mice that darted in off the street when people came in and the owner – one of the group on the other table – was at his wits’ end because of them.

Then things turned dadaesque! They’d called in some kind of mouse-whisperer who reckoned he could use mind control to steer the mice into traps under the windows with ultra-violet light bulbs that would hypnotize and immobilize them without actually hurting them. Once there were a few hypnotized mice in the box the mouse-whisperer would drive them out to a field and set them free. He was a big fat permanently-winded geezer and he spent the next half hour lolling about on the floor puffing and grunting and getting caught up in his own coat tails as he tried to coax the mice into the traps. I like to keep an open mind about these things but by the time our food arrived the mice outnumbered the people and they were running up the chair legs and everything. They were really cute little things and apparently never went into the kitchen (a likely story).

Wonderful! I love this!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -