rank the European cities

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Re: rank the European cities

Postby The Beatles » 10 Apr 2018, 13:01

PENK wrote:
Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:
PENK wrote:I obviously prefer Madrid and Stockholm to, say, Helsinki or Brussels, because I have lived in them and got a proper feel for them rather than just doing a day trip.

Interesting. I liked Berlin and Budapest much more before living there.

I just have a more optimistic outlook than you I think! I can imagine any European capital having a lot to offer, a lot of character and things to like, even if there are negatives.
There was a lot that frustrated me about Madrid - the dirt and noise, the impossibility of getting anything done without filling in umpteen forms, the crappy working conditions - but I prefer to focus on the good parts.

'he kicked me in the bollocks but I didn't mind as I was looking up at the stars'
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 10 Apr 2018, 23:39

Quaco wrote:Lisbon - sweaty but good people

I'll tell Sofia you thought she was sweaty but good, then!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Apr 2018, 23:41

Nooo!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 11 Apr 2018, 00:08

Too late! She's furious now - muttering dark imprecations on californianos.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Apr 2018, 00:23

You two will have to come back in order to exact your revenge. Preferably at a Mexican restaurant!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Apr 2018, 10:35

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:Budapest - mostly a shithole. The Danube saves it

Can't be arsed to comment on all the list, but this is bullshit. It's a really beautiful and elegant city.

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 11 Apr 2018, 11:09

What the tourists see, yeah. Those buildings and that river will always be there and they will always be beautiful.

But it's a poor and mostly rundown city with a strange attitude to the homeless (let them live in the Metro passages) and the most isolationist government in Europe. And these things do have an impact on even the most superficial observations.

It's kind of a shame, I think. Prague does a much better job as regards maintenance and liveability - probably because of higher tourist revenue, and a greater number of expats and wealthy entrepreneurs. And - arguably - it's a more beautiful city.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 12 Apr 2018, 08:08

Paris - Absolutely hated it. I know those cunts can speak English, and they fucked with me. The Louvre was alright I suppose, a lot of statues with the knobs off though.

Berlin - I did enjoy the city itself, the wasps in the bakery I went into however wasnt pleasant.

London - it's wondrous. I've been twice, I mean you English might be a bit blase about it, and there's people up the wazoo that make shit hard to get to, but it's an amazing place for this cunt from the colonies.

Dublin - the whip around I did was alright. My two main memories are getting hammered watching one of the All-Ireland finals in the hotel bar, and finding a Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens jersey for €10 at some big shopping centre we found whilst out for a drive

Krakow - where I discovered the wonder of Okocim Mocne. How the fuck I made it back to my hotel I have no idea.

Munich - the Hofbrau House was great. The fight with the then-Heiferette that led to me walking shoeless and ID-less through the city streets less so. The cops were pretty nice though.

Prague - very interesting place. The sex machines museum was definitely an eye opener (which eye depends on what apparatus). Still feel bad not meeting Coan whilst there even though I had no idea where I fucking was :lol:

Vienna - great place, got a hulking schnitzel and asked by the hotel barman if I played for Rapid :lol:

Budapest - the boat on the Danube was the highlight, didn't really dig the city.

Warsaw - Beautiful place, loved it. The Old Town was great, wish I could go back and proper investigate it.

Munich - I thought I went over this.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Apr 2018, 19:38

Interesting that many people still have experienced rudeness in Paris. I assumed the nasty Frenchman spitting on the ground at the mention of Americans was a cliche. We had none of that. I mean, seriously - absolutely none. Everyone was friendly. It might have helped that we did start every conversation with "bonjour!" before attempting to continue in English (as all the guidebooks we read suggested).

Border Patrol was incredibly rude to us, but that's true everywhere. The only Border Patrol ever to treat me worse was in Canada (not French-speaking Canada either), so that sort of comes with the job, I'm assuming.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 20:03

How easy is it to get by in Paris if you speak no French?

I really want to go but it's always put me off and you do hear stories. My Mum hates 'em
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Apr 2018, 20:16

It probably depends on how in-depth you want to get, but we had no problem. Just doing as hatz says, use the six French words/phrases you know as much as possible, and they warm up.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 12 Apr 2018, 20:26

You'll only get into trouble if you act like you can speak French, 'cause they'll start talking all sorts of gibberish at you and just leave you drooling with your face in a café au lait.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Apr 2018, 20:32

The other thing is, there are plenty of people living in Paris who are not French! Lots of Africans, but also people from everywhere (including the US and UK). We ate in an Indian restaurant where the server, once realizing we didn't speak much French, said "Oh, you speak English! Good! That's easier for me anyway!"
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 12 Apr 2018, 20:46

I'd take Harv's advice. Stick with English.

Paris is classy. I've honestly always encountered more rudeness in, well, pretty much every other European city! Madrid was the worst, and Prague isn't exactly known for its customer service.

I've never really understood the (mostly British) antipathy towards the French. I like them.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Apr 2018, 20:51

LOVED
Paris
Riga
Amsterdam

ENJOYED & WOULD VISIT AGAIN
Berlin
Barcelona
London
Brussels (only if I had a lot of $$$)
Rome
Munich
Florence
Madrid
Vienna
Lucerne

I can't think of too many EU cities I would not be happy to return to. They all have their eccentricities.

My own experience as a tourist is largely linked to my music circumstances - did we have a nice venue, a good audience, meet nice people at our show etc - but I guess that's true of any tourist experience. If you end up in a shittty hotel and run in with one shitty person you may believe it is a shit city. I didn't like New Orleans at all the first time I went - turns out, I was doing it wrong.

I'll be back over there in May for another short tour, playing a lot of small towns in between the cities. Sometimes those are great shows, like Midwest American college towns. People are happy there is anything going on in town and you can get 50 people into a bar on a Tuesday night to see "American hard rock band".
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Apr 2018, 21:46

I remember going to a restaurant in Paris, they took our drinks order, then basically served everyone around us and completely ignored us for the next 45 minutes. Some students came over and basically apologised on behalf of the French, said we'd be better off leaving, they were so embarrassed at the way we were being treated. Recommended somewhere friendlier. So in one single night out I experienced both the worst and the best of Parisian behaviour.

To our shame, we couldn't understand their instructions, got lost, and ate in Pizza Hut instead. Which was nice.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 13 Apr 2018, 01:45

I went to Paris with two of my friends. One has pretty good French, one has none French. My own is passable but extremely rusty, and probably slips into Franglais far too easily. We didn't have any problems with rude Parisians; we stayed in Montparnasse, and ate in local cafes at night. A bit of French pleases and thank yous seemed fine, and I think we all had an equally positive experience.

The only place where I've noticed rather brusque service etc is Budapest. The best place was Vilnius, in fact- everyone was ridiculously friendly.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 13 Apr 2018, 02:14

Polishgirl wrote:I went to Paris with two of my friends. One has pretty good French, one has none French. My own is passable but extremely rusty...

Your English, however...

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 13 Apr 2018, 02:17

Quaco wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:I went to Paris with two of my friends. One has pretty good French, one has none French. My own is passable but extremely rusty...

Your English, however...

I was going for oblique Spinal Tap; clearly, it didn't work :cry:
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 13 Apr 2018, 02:25

hee hee!