rank the European cities

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: rank the European cities

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Apr 2018, 17:00

It would be more fun if you had to rank them by their overnight jails.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Apr 2018, 17:20

nev gash wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
Insouciant Western People wrote:Sofia really is a shithole.

That's the European city I've been to more than any other. I've got to go there again with work next month. What's worse, we don't even get to stay in the city centre any more, but out by The Mall, where you get the appalling tower blocks coupled with an absence of any kind of local culture.

Take a couple of pictures of them. Voila! Instant D_F mixtape cover.

Look at the stunning architecture, the glorious civilisation: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.65627 ... 312!8i6656

That's the estate opposite the Novotel, where I'm staying. I remember walking around that place in the middle of the night, trying to find a particular pool hall where we were having a team event. Grim is not the word. Oh, hang on, yes it fucking is.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 09 Apr 2018, 17:23

Florence - the most beautiful city I've ever seen
Venice - (or maybe this is - I'm not sure)

Barcelona - colourful, cultural, cool, no airs and graces, still cheap (except for rent)
Paris - silly prices and the locals are arseholes but as colourful, cultural and cool as the above. Soooo much to see and do

Prague - my home for half my adult life, a great city in so many ways, low-key in a way many big cities are not, I just hope it doesn't go the same way as Berlin
Berlin - in some ways maybe the greatest European city - but too many bikes, it's not beautiful, the gentrification is a serious problem - and it's in Germany. Nasty people

Istanbul - amazing place, chaotic, a bit disorienting/unsettling, excellent food, lovely people

Lisbon - maybe Europe's most underrated capital city. Beautiful, calming
Thessaloniki - one of Europe's most underrated cities - very hip, great cafes and restaurants, great food, good shops, and it's by the sea. Always helps, that

Dublin - I've only been once but I loved it
Porto - still cheap, run-down but beautiful, that melancholy port 'feel'
London - I haven't visited for many years but I loved it as a kid. I get tired of folk talking it up, tho'
Amsterdam - also haven't visited for many years but I have very fond memories. It's a happy place. I think Holland probably has more interesting and more friendly cities

Bruges - beautiful but small and pricey
Lucerne - (same)
Copenhagen - a bit like A/dam, maybe better, dunno, was only there once
Krakow - nice, but Prague has it all and better
Rome - disappointing, but it's Italy and all of Italy is wonderful really
Munich - interesting

Madrid - nasty locals, many Spanish cities outperform it in so many ways
Vienna - horrible
Milan - I need to spend more time here. It's a big city with a lot of ugliness on the surface
Budapest - mostly a shithole. The Danube saves it
Athens - a complete shithole

haven't been (but want to see - altho' no rush for Warsaw, and I especially want to see Helsinki)

Helsinki
Oslo
Dubrovnik
Warsaw
Valencia
Stockholm
Brussels
Seville
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Apr 2018, 17:30

Insouciant Western People wrote:Also very nice, though not on the list:

Moscow
St Petersburg
Plovdiv
Vilnius
Riga

I like Nicosia and Bucharest a lot too, although both are pretty rundown at the moment.

Sofia really is a shithole.

The city not on the list which really, really should have been, and would rank highly, is Edinburgh.

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 09 Apr 2018, 17:32

I didn't include cities that were in my OTHER EXCITING THREAD, also on this board
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Apr 2018, 17:43

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:I didn't include cities that were in my OTHER EXCITING THREAD, also on this board

Fair enough

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Apr 2018, 18:25

Have visited:
Barcelona - seemed easy to have a good simple time there, plus they're into the visual
Berlin - the kind of city I'd invent, though even staying there for weeks, not sure I know it
Lisbon - sweaty but good people
Paris - beautiful, interesting, but didn't feel especially at home, but at least the people dressed well
Athens - loved it, but I don't know how I'd feel long-term - the islands were perfect, of course
Amsterdam - seemed livable
London - like so many cities, cruising on its reputation when everything that made it cool has changed

Been, but didn't get a huge feeling for:
Brussels
Munich
Vienna
Lucerne

Of these ones that I haven't visited, these are especially interesting to me:
Rome
Istanbul
Venice
Porto
Prague
Dubrovnik
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Apr 2018, 19:00

Paris. Just cannot be bettered.
Barcelona. Magical
Florence. Like a cultural theme park. Mind blowing.
London. It may be home, but it still knocks me out.
Amsterdam Compact and beautiful.
Krakow So much better than I hoped for, and full of character
Ghent. Just a fantastic medieval town.
Berlin.
Prague
Bruges

Dublin. Like an Irish Reading.
You don't like me...do you?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Apr 2018, 19:03

I've only been to 4.

Amsterdam - I've been here more than any European city bar London. I have some very fond and occasionally hazy memories of the place so it will always be dear to my heart. It's a very likeable city, compact, pleasant, nice to walk around plus there is something really liberating about being to smoke weed so openly.
Berlin - Love it. I'd happily live there. There's such a rich atmosphere about the place. A real sense of history you know. Plus there's still a residue of that bohemian, libertarian vibe you associate with it from the 20s. Also: beer and pork.
London - I like it more now than I ever used to. World class in most ways but too many people for me. Hugely enjoyable in small doses though
Barcelona - just lovely. I'd go back in a heartbeat

Next year I don't think the lass and I will be able to afford a big trip away so I think I might have a few weekend city breaks in Europe. I really fancy the following....

Vienna
Porto
Lisbon
Paris
Istanbul
Venice
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 09 Apr 2018, 19:09

yomptepi wrote:Dublin. Like an Irish Reading.

:lol:

that bad, eh?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Apr 2018, 19:13

I think I have liked all the ones I've been to, to various extents.

I obviously prefer Madrid and Stockholm to, say, Helsinki or Brussels, because I have lived in them and got a proper feel for them rather than just doing a day trip.

Of the ones I've been to as a visitor otherwise London and Barcelona are favourites - although I went off Barcelona for a while, but actually started liking it again on about my fourth visit; my sister lives there which helps, as I got to see the less touristy side of it. I would like to go back to Paris, Berlin and Rome and spend more time there. I guess that, as with London, I just know most about the history and culture there so imagine it'd be a richer visit. Maybe Amsterdam too.

Others I've visited:

Lisbon
Florence
Prague
Vienna
Copenhagen
Milan
Bruges
Porto
Valencia

And ones I'd perhaps most like to go to:

Istanbul
Venice
Budapest
Athens
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 09 Apr 2018, 19:24

PENK wrote:I obviously prefer Madrid and Stockholm to, say, Helsinki or Brussels, because I have lived in them and got a proper feel for them rather than just doing a day trip.

Interesting. I liked Berlin and Budapest much more before living there.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 09 Apr 2018, 21:25

Places I've lived

Dublin
Paris

Places I know well
London
Vienna
Berlin
Munich

Places I've visited
Rome
Amsterdam
Prague

Ranked the above in their respective categories.

I love Paris, but I love Dublin more than any place I've ever lived. It might be one of the places I love more than any place (Although I feel a little disloyal to Liverpool saying so.) It's so great though. It has everything you could want in a city. It's progressive, it's fun, it's creative, it's friendly. Within 20 minutes from the city centre you can get to beautiful coast line (different ones). Yes, it's a little backwards, but most of the time that's charming. I think the best thing about it is that it's best bits are a bit hidden, which means there's always more to discover. I always want to go back and visit. I'd recommend it to anyone. Plus, it might not have the Louvre, but all the museums are free.

Paris is Paris though.

Of places I know well...
London just INCHES over Vienna. I think I'd pick Vienna for a weekend away over London... but theres just a lot MORE London than there is Vienna.

Munich and Berlin are tied for hateful.

I like all three of the places I've visited.
Rome inches forward above the others because I visited there most recently and I found the local much more charming and the ice cream so good.

Places I don't know at all
Barcelona
Istanbul
Venice
Lisbon
Brussels
Krakow
Seville
Florence
Madrid
Copenhagen
Milan
Budapest
Stockholm
Warsaw
Bruges
Lucerne
Athens
Valencia
Dubrovnik
Porto
Thessaloniki
Oslo
Helsinki
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Apr 2018, 22:57

Been to (in order of preference)

Paris - Marvelous city. So much natural beauty, so much history, and very friendly people for the most part (yes, really!). Can be crowded and parts are seedy, but the better I learn it the more comfortable I'll feel. I want to go again (and again and again).

Amsterdam - Aside from the obvious - which they don't let tourists do anymore - I still rank it pretty high (pun intended). GREAT food city - possibly the best that I've been to. Incredible variety. Very picturesque in the less crowded parts. LOTS of music and books and art. And pretty much everyone speaks English. A bit touristy, and wish I could still take advantage of...you know...but I'd go there again in a second.

Dublin - Can't think of any other city this big - San Francisco, maybe - that can seem so intimate and small while still providing so much to see and do. Can be a bit pretentious - young folks, in particular, are certainly trying to be hip and "European" - but they hold on to a lot of their character - and the city has a lot of it.

London - Free museums. A ton of history. Some very picturesque parts. Too crowded and expensive. I now have a lot of friends there. Thank you, BCB. The good outweighs the bad, ultimately. A lot like New York.

Barcelona - Love the Guadi stuff, certain parts are very pretty, and there's a good variety of food (though the Spanish food, at least when I was there, seemed based on the assumption that everyone eats meat). Certain parts are ugly urban sprawl. The juxtaposition is probably the most extreme of any place I've ever been.

Want to go to (in order of preference)

Florence
Athens
Madrid
Porto
Venice
Rome
Brussels
Bruges
Stockholm
Vienna
Copenhagen
Milan
Prague
Lisbon
Oslo
Helsinki
Berlin
Munich
Istanbul

Don't know enough about to judge

Krakow
Seville
Budapest
Warsaw
Lucerne
Valencia
Dubrovnik
Thessaloniki
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 10 Apr 2018, 00:48

The ones I've been to ( due to visit Florence for the first time next month ):

Vienna ( took me by surprise; expected to be bored rigid by it. Wasn't at all. It's wonderful )
Krakow ( always magical )
Venice ( again, surprisingly blown away by it. A great place to get lost )
Lisbon ( somehow manages to be vibrant and relaxing at the same time )
Rome ( actually joint with Lisbon. Hard to beat a night time stroll along the Tiber. )
Berlin ( fascinating, something for everyone. )
Budapest ( Danube-tastic. Plus terrific cakes )
Amsterdam ( how fab would it be to live in one of those beautiful canal houses...? )
Warsaw ( old town gives all others a run for their money. Tragic history, but amazingly resilient )
Prague ( gorgeous, but overcrowded when I visited. Would like to go back at a quieter time and rediscover it)
Riga & Vilnius ( cheating now; Riga is mental with heaps of Art Nouveau; Vilnius is mental with heaps of Orthodox doings )
Madrid ( buzzy and has some very excitable Catholic places to visit )
Paris ( it's a world class city but a bit big for me. I did enjoy it, but needed lots of long lie-downs while I was there )
London ( see Paris. )
Dublin ( had a good time there and saw lots. Just not fancy enough for me to place it higher )
Porto ( very atmospheric, and good for a wander, but not so much notable stuff, and I stayed in a place that felt a bit like a convent )
Bruges ( only spent a day there about 20 years ago. Might be higher up if I went again. )
Brussels ( Ok; it's bottom, but I still liked it. It's just a long time ago, and my memories are hazy. )

Edit: Stockholm and Seville are next on my radar.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 10 Apr 2018, 07:52

Stunning

Venice
Rome
Florence

Might live there

Istanbul
Berlin
Stockholm
Barcelona
Amsterdam
Budapest
Munich
Seville

Great to visit, wouldn't live there

Paris
London
Madrid
Prague
Krakow
Valencia
Milan
Bruges
Thessaloniki

Shitholes

Brussels
Warsaw
Athens (Apart from the ruins)

Not been

Dublin
Lisbon
Lucerne
Copenhagen
Dubrovnik
Helsinki
Porto
Oslo

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Apr 2018, 08:05

Isn't Dubrovnik just a big Game of Thrones theme park these days?
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Apr 2018, 08:14

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:
PENK wrote:I obviously prefer Madrid and Stockholm to, say, Helsinki or Brussels, because I have lived in them and got a proper feel for them rather than just doing a day trip.

Interesting. I liked Berlin and Budapest much more before living there.

I just have a more optimistic outlook than you I think! I can imagine any European capital having a lot to offer, a lot of character and things to like, even if there are negatives.
There was a lot that frustrated me about Madrid - the dirt and noise, the impossibility of getting anything done without filling in umpteen forms, the crappy working conditions - but I prefer to focus on the good parts.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 10 Apr 2018, 08:38

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:haven't been (but want to see)

Oslo

I like it very much and there's loads of interesting things to do there, but it's still not my favourite Norwegian city or town. Bergen is much more beautiful and largely unspoiled by big city stuff. The KODE complex of art galleries in Bergen is excellent too.

Stavanger and Trondheim are both lovely places (especially the old town in Stavanger and the magnificent medieval cathedral in Trondheim), but my favourite is Ålesund.

Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Apr 2018, 09:43

toomanyhatz wrote:Spanish food, at least when I was there, seemed based on the assumption that everyone eats meat

I think it's actually just that the pig is scientifically classed as a vegetable - or possibly an entire individual food group - in Spain.