Snacking

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Snacking

Postby Toby » 30 Mar 2018, 12:24

I know that the barrier to me losing weight in any real sense (I want to be a 32 and I hover between 34/36) is snacking.

But modern life chucks snacking in our faces doesn't it? I was in Victoria station last weekend and the whole place was just advertising GET YOUR WIDE RANGE OF TASTY SNACKS HERE - Patisserie, Sandwiches, Crisps, KFC, McDonalds. Tucked away was a supermarket style place that sold fruit. But if I'm going to snack, I'm going to embrace salty or sugary tastiness, not some vague notion of health encapsulated in what is usually an apple from somewhere like New Zealand.

I've pretty much given up chocolate bars and am trying to limit myself to a sweet morsel once a week, but big packs of funny-looking crisps remains a big hurdle for me.

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Re: Snacking

Postby The Beatles » 30 Mar 2018, 12:31

Those big bags of Doritos for a quid are my undoing. They never let me down. And Snickers.

Thing is, you have a banana or an apple and then you still want those things anyway.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Mar 2018, 12:33

I try to stop snacking by eating later- between dinner and bed is the danger time for me. Fruit or health snacks just don't cut it. I don't avoid it but I try not to pig out.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Mar 2018, 12:34

Yep - it's the subtle way that the manufacturers lure you into the sense of having a bargain with the "grab bag". I hate those cunts!

RE : snacking later - yeah, I am trying hard to cut down on having anything after 8 pm. It's hard though.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Mar 2018, 12:58

The thing about snacking is the phycology behind why you're snacking. It's not easy to do. So like yesterday I was having a bad day at a work. When things calmed down, I thought to myself I could murder a pint. Then through "training" from my councilor, I learned to question why I wanted that pint. The obvious answer was because I was having a bad day. So work was deciding for me that I wanted a pint, when if the day was going well I wouldn't want one. The same thing goes for snacking. If you're snacking too much, you got ask why? Why are you comfort eating, and why is food the go to instead of going for a walk or something more productive.
I struggle a lot with this, particularly drink on the weekend, but if you win a few battles, it does make you feel better.

Also, advertising can be a right cunt too.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Mar 2018, 16:00

I wonder why train station kiosks and other snack vendors don't sell packaged fresh fruit or carrot sticks along with the Snickers?
Gadfly

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 30 Mar 2018, 16:03

They do, you’re still in thrall to the mainstream retailers.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 30 Mar 2018, 16:31

Greedy fuckers
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 30 Mar 2018, 16:39

ooh I go out walking instead I do

or on me bike ooh
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Mar 2018, 16:48

Jimbo wrote:I wonder why train station kiosks and other snack vendors don't sell packaged fresh fruit or carrot sticks along with the Snickers?

Because it's actually quite expensive.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2018, 17:01

Belle Lettre wrote:Greedy fuckers

That's me!

I could graze and nibble all evening. Prefer it to a big meal. Frazzles at 7, Wotsits at 8, Wheat Crunchies at 9. *pats belly*
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2018, 17:03

BEEF BEE 'E' wrote:Those big bags of Doritos for a quid are my undoing. They never let me down. And Snickers.

Thing is, you have a banana or an apple and then you still want those things anyway.

I've gone right off Doritos since moving here. Once you've had proper corn chips and salsa that's all you ever want to eat. Ever again.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2018, 17:05

And queso.

Dr Markus wrote:

The Beatles

Postby The Beatles » 30 Mar 2018, 17:06

Oh, I can believe it.

Ah well

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 30 Mar 2018, 17:22

Cheeky Cheeky Naughty Sneaky wrote:
BEEF BEE 'E' wrote:Those big bags of Doritos for a quid are my undoing. They never let me down. And Snickers.

I've gone right off Doritos since moving here. Once you've had proper corn chips and salsa that's all you ever want to eat. Ever again.

I love corn kernels.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 30 Mar 2018, 19:14

Dr Markus wrote:The thing about snacking is the phycology behind why you're snacking. It's not easy to do. So like yesterday I was having a bad day at a work. When things calmed down, I thought to myself I could murder a pint. Then through "training" from my councilor, I learned to question why I wanted that pint. The obvious answer was because I was having a bad day. So work was deciding for me that I wanted a pint, when if the day was going well I wouldn't want one. The same thing goes for snacking. If you're snacking too much, you got ask why? Why are you comfort eating, and why is food the go to instead of going for a walk or something more productive.

Because it's enjoyable.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Mar 2018, 19:51

Sometimes its not that easy to explain G.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 30 Mar 2018, 19:51

I hardly ever snack anymore, I didn't use to snack much but now I have cut it out almost completely and if I do have to eat something between meals I try to make it something without too many calories
The trouble is fruit doesn't really do a job for snacking, I suppose it is too watery and doesn't stop the hunger pangs, I use small crisp breads and humus as my emergency stand bye.
The answer to snacking is 3 meals a day and the ability to be able to feel hunger rather than give in to it.

Copehead says: nothing tastes as good as thin feels; not that Copehead will ever be thin.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Mar 2018, 19:52

BEEF BEE 'E' wrote:ooh I go out walking instead I do

or on me bike ooh

Good for you! G'on the Coan

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 30 Mar 2018, 20:26

I honestly think people worry about this stuff too much. You only need to worry if you're very overweight ( rather than a bit porky say) or diabetic.