Political ideas you once had that now you're glad you don't.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Political ideas you once had that now you're glad you don't.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 14:02

Samoan wrote:
Quaco wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:I've shifted a LEETLE bit closer to the right. I still haven't had the guts to Actually become a vegetarian.

Do it this year.

I'd think about it.
Vegetarians are a social nuisance when invited to eat at an omnivorous household.

Well, they shouldn't be if they are not a picky eater and they have the social manners to inform the person cooking first. If you know someone well enough to invite them for dinner, usually, you know their eating habits? It's poor form not to tell someone.

I'm an unfussy eater in that situation - which hardly ever arises. It's more of a problem in restaurants abroad. Or in some outlying areas of Texas. Just give me a house salad and a bit of bread. I'm fine as long as there is wine. If there isn't wine, there could be trouble.

In February I went vegan for a month, which really does require more planning and possibilities for going hungry. We just didn't eat out.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Mar 2018, 14:11

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:
Well, they shouldn't be if they are not a picky eater and they have the social manners to inform the person cooking first. If you know someone well enough to invite them for dinner, usually, you know their eating habits? It's poor form not to tell someone.

I'm an unfussy eater in that situation - which hardly ever arises. It's more of a problem in restaurants abroad. Or in some outlying areas of Texas. Just give me a house salad and a bit of bread. I'm fine as long as there is wine. If there isn't wine, there could be trouble.

In February I went vegan for a month, which really does require more planning and possibilities for going hungry. We just didn't eat out.

absolutely. I always insist that I will just eat the veggies or the pasta, and that under no circumstances are they to go the trouble of making me a nut loaf or grilling me some quorn.Or even worse condemning the rest of the diners to an ill considered fish dish. The last thing I want to do is inconvenience people. ( and I really do not want any nut roast or quorn) Restaurants can be tricky. I had that experience i Felix's oyster bar in NOLA when I asked for an Italian salad, and the nice waitress put about a pound of ham in it because I had asked for no bacon with my snapper.

I am lucky that I can eat fish, but I cannot eat meat substitutes. Ever.
You don't like me...do you?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 14:14

Yeah! I'm totally happy with a bowl of carrots and beans. It's one meal. It doesn't matter.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Mar 2018, 15:52

Well that's all well and good but a host may still feel they're not cutting the mustard.

We have this dance every time we have a big roast dinner (Easter, early Christmas, Christmas Day) at my brothers' where there are 6 omnivores and 1 visiting vegetarian, my sister. He likes to do all the fixings and having to do separate roast potatoes and separate Yorkshires (we have Yorkshires with every roast meat) in vegetable oil gives him the pip, he has quietly confided to me. There's also the oven and hob space factor.
Normally she brings her own nut loaf/roast and accompanying sauce, that's always understood, but Christmas before last the wires somehow got crossed, my nephew made one for her, plus sauce, she brought her own, plus sauce so there were nuts for all.
Life, eh. It could all be so much easier if she wasn't.

One could well say that's my brothers' issue and choice and up to a point it is, but if it is, he's not letting it drop: that's just the way he likes to cook for family. However now I think on, I think Both of them need a talking-to about this.
Last edited by Samoan on 28 Mar 2018, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Mar 2018, 15:54

That’s your brother’s issue and choice.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 15:55

Samoan wrote:Well that's all well and good but a host may still feel they're not cutting the mustard.

That's their problem and hopefully they will get over it.

Dr Markus wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Mar 2018, 15:56

Very Stable Baron wrote:That’s your brother’s issue and choice.

Ha!
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Mar 2018, 15:57

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:
Samoan wrote:Well that's all well and good but a host may still feel they're not cutting the mustard.

That's their problem and hopefully they will get over it.

In an ideal world, yes, but changing one's ways isn't always easy.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Mar 2018, 17:57

It's like getting married to someone you've committed to anyway. If it's a matter of time, why not do it now? And some people choose to be self-righteous "veggies", but I quite quickly realized that that didn't work and wasn't really fun. I try to make a point of not inconveniencing people at omnivorous gatherings. The only people I affect at these things are people who feel the need to keep talking about it.

Anyway, forget I said anything. (See how nice I am?) Thought you might need a push. Somebody being a little annoying is what it took for me to finally switch over 30 years ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 17:58

Quaco wrote:It's like getting married to someone you've committed to anyway. If it's a matter of time, why not do it now? And some people choose to be self-righteous "veggies", but I quite quickly realized that that didn't work and wasn't really fun. I try to make a point of not inconveniencing people at omnivorous gatherings. The only people I affect at these things are people who feel the need to keep talking about it.

Anyway, forget I said anything. (See how nice I am?) Thought you might need a push. Somebody being a little annoying is what it took for me to finally switch over 30 years ago.

When are you coming over for a bowl of carrots?

Dr Markus wrote:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Mar 2018, 18:01

Oh I don't like carrots! I require a nut loaf!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 18:05

Quaco wrote:Oh I don't like carrots! I require a nut loaf!

Thanks for the inconvenience!!! :x

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 18:06

(Incidentally Baron makes the best nut loaf I've ever had)

Dr Markus wrote:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Mar 2018, 18:15

A funny thing ... family get-togethers have been a great excuse to focus on what I've liked all along: mashed potatoes, rolls, and pie! Another funny thing ... in my family, now there are more vegetarians in the family than not, so it's actually becoming an "inconvenience" to be a meat-eater. Poor things with their little roast!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Mar 2018, 18:16

Quaco wrote:It's like getting married to someone you've committed to anyway. If it's a matter of time, why not do it now? And some people choose to be self-righteous "veggies", but I quite quickly realized that that didn't work and wasn't really fun. I try to make a point of not inconveniencing people at omnivorous gatherings. The only people I affect at these things are people who feel the need to keep talking about it.

You may have told us before, Jim, but why did you become a vegetarian?

I've played with the idea for a few years now even though I joke about patty melts. I don't eat much meat anymore and my son is starting to go down the vegetarian path for health reasons.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 28 Mar 2018, 18:23

The demo version of Dreadlock Holiday really was shit, wasn’t it?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Mar 2018, 18:23

Quaco wrote:A funny thing ... family get-togethers have been a great excuse to focus on what I've liked all along: mashed potatoes, rolls, and pie! Another funny thing ... in my family, now there are more vegetarians in the family than not, so it's actually becoming an "inconvenience" to be a meat-eater. Poor things with their little roast!

God you're all so Californian, aren't you? With your fucking veggies.

You make me sick.
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Mar 2018, 18:29

As a weak-kneed animal-lover, I had for a few years begun to feel bad about it. I didn't know anything about "saving the planet" or the health aspects, I just felt a little bad inside that a couple animals a week had to be killed for my benefit. One day, I was hanging out with my girlfriend's friends, and one guy made a comment like "Jim, you seem like you're not fulfilling your potential. There's something on your mind that you're not doing." Pretty annoying to hear that, but after a couple days, I realized he was probably right, and one of the things was this meat thing. So, I went to In-N-Out Burger in Costa Mesa, sat on the lawn there in the sun, and had one last Double Double. It was good! But it was time.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Mar 2018, 18:30

Hugh wrote:

:D :D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2018, 18:32

Hugh wrote:

:lol:

Dr Markus wrote: