Political ideas you once had that now you're glad you don't.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Political ideas you once had that now you're glad you don't.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Mar 2018, 21:11

We've all had em!
When I was about 14, I rabidly argued that instead of testing cosmetics on animals we should test them on..... PRISONERS!

What thoughts came from your passionate but not yet fully developed brain? Eh?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Re: Political ideas you once had that now you're glad you don't.

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Mar 2018, 21:42

When I was younger, I believed more in self-sufficiency and smaller government. I have done a 180 on these views, starting in my early to mid '20s. I don't believe anyone should be discarded by society for any reason. America has enough resources, and various parties have to step in to make up for socio-economic, institutional, educational, and other economic, cultural deficiencies or cracks in the system to help people. If we don't, it just perpetuates itself from generation to generation.

I think I took these original views mainly because my folks were Depression era kids and pulled themselves up, but forgot that they had the GI bill and social security was started during their lifetimes.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 23 Mar 2018, 21:46

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Mar 2018, 21:53

I used to believe that people would make good choices if they only knew the truth.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Mar 2018, 21:58

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I used to believe that people would make good choices if they only knew the truth.

You're glad you don't think that now?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 23 Mar 2018, 22:07

I'm glad I don't. I just spent about 20 minutes talking to somebody who thinks Donald Trump will eventually be regarded as one of the best presidents in history. :shock: I made a lot of points he didn't disagree with but I could tell he wasn't even close to being swayed from his position.

I used to think "gay marriage" was a bridge too far and something that would never happen. I supported "civil unions" thinking this was some sort of adult compromise. I'm glad I've "evolved" on the issue (as O. used to say)
TuckerCrowe wrote:Is irony your answer to everything ?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Mar 2018, 22:09

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I used to believe that people would make good choices if they only knew the truth.

You're glad you don't think that now?

Better not to labor under delusion.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 23 Mar 2018, 22:47

sCUNTlock wrote:I used to think "gay marriage" was a bridge too far and something that would never happen. I supported "civil unions" thinking this was some sort of adult compromise. I'm glad I've "evolved" on the issue (as O. used to say)

Good one! Me too, more or less.

I can’t think of specific things I believed that I don’t believe anymore, but my way of thinking has changed a lot. I’m more distanced from the emotion of issues and see things from a more procedural view.

Oh, I know! I thought there was no material difference between Al Gore and George Bush II and that there was no difference between Democrats and Republicans! What a dunce I was!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Mar 2018, 23:32

Very Stable Baron wrote:
sCUNTlock wrote:I used to think "gay marriage" was a bridge too far and something that would never happen. I supported "civil unions" thinking this was some sort of adult compromise. I'm glad I've "evolved" on the issue (as O. used to say)

Good one! Me too, more or less.

Most of us. But was that ever a matter of believing that civil unions were actually acceptable, or just the closest achievable thing?

I mean, I always regarded civil unions as “separate but equal”. I never viewed them as a good enough. But I absolutely supported them as an “adult compromise” that would allow the next battle to be even further down the field.

One thing you can learn from the GOP. They’ll take whatever partial victory they can get, put it in their pockets, then start battling for more.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 23 Mar 2018, 23:35

sloopjohnc wrote:When I was younger, I believed more in self-sufficiency and smaller government. I have done a 180 on these views, starting in my early to mid '20s. I don't believe anyone should be discarded by society for any reason. America has enough resources, and various parties have to step in to make up for socio-economic, institutional, educational, and other economic, cultural deficiencies or cracks in the system to help people. If we don't, it just perpetuates itself from generation to generation.

I think I took these original views mainly because my folks were Depression era kids and pulled themselves up, but forgot that they had the GI bill and social security was started during their lifetimes.

Good for you, Sloop.
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 25 Mar 2018, 05:22

Ideas I held as a teen and no longer support.

Death row for people convicted of serious crimes.
Work requirements for welfare.
--m.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 25 Mar 2018, 15:26

Letting people vote from age 16 onwards.

The belief that bright people eventually might learn to see that they're actually voting for their own oppressors.

The idea that I could succeed in making another person see a truth, when that person's income depends on precisely not seeing that truth.*)

*) OK I stole that one from Upton Sinclair.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Mar 2018, 16:17

Oh gawd.

Vaguely anarchist posturings
Right wingers are selfish wankers
Left wing revolutionary let's tear down the walls mofos crap

It's funny looking back.
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 26 Mar 2018, 18:19

Goat Boy wrote:Oh gawd.

Vaguely anarchist posturings
Right wingers are selfish wankers
Left wing revolutionary let's tear down the walls mofos crap

It's funny looking back.

It is.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 26 Mar 2018, 18:39

When I ran for class president in grade 6 I campaigned on a platform I called "Free Candy Fridays" but the school refused to back me and I was literally thrown under the bus (thankfully it wasn't moving at the time) by the teacher's pet. I was completely disillusioned by the whole sordid process and now I can only look back on my failed political career and cringe.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Mar 2018, 18:47

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:We've all had em!

I've thought about this on and off for a couple of days, and while my ideas, such as they were, have changed and developed over the decades in reaction to age and circumstance, I can't remember a single one that I have disavowed and am now embarrassed to own.
Probably says more about my memory than anything else, though. When I was 14, Ronnie Clayton was Blackburn captain and the Beatles put their first single out. Harold Macmillan was Prime Minister.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 27 Mar 2018, 09:42

I used to think, quite firmly, that patriotism and national loyalty were illogical or based on illusions, and sometimes quite foolish views to hold. I’ve changed my mind on that over the past few years.

I voted to Remain in the EU referendum. If there is another one, I'm now less sure of how I'll vote in it.

Up until fairly recently, I always maintained that I’d never consider voting Conservative, as a basic principle. That’s changed too.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 27 Mar 2018, 20:38

Back when I was in high school I didn't think of drug laws as a waste of scarce economic resources, but then again I really didn't think much about drug laws at all in those days. Since I didn't use drugs and the laws therefore didn't target me, I simply didn't think about them.

By my university years though it had dawned on me that government boondoggles of any sort could only be financed out of my pocketbook. Ever since about the age of twenty my core political belief has been that the sole legitimate function of government is to protect the individual's freedom of choice.
Last edited by Hepcat on 27 Mar 2018, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.

"That government governs best that governs least."

NMB

Postby NMB » 27 Mar 2018, 20:40

Goat Boy wrote:Right wingers are selfish wankers

They aren’t ?
turn on, tune in, nod off

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 27 Mar 2018, 20:42

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:When I was about 14, I rabidly argued that instead of testing cosmetics on animals we should test them on..... PRISONERS!

I've always thought that the company officers and directors should man up and have the drugs tested on themselves. "Hey, that's why you're paid the big bucks, isn't it?"

8-)

"That government governs best that governs least."