Self Driving Cars

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

What Should Be Done About Self-Driving Cars?

NOTHING. you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs
No votes
SOMETHING. Figure out how NOT TO KILL PEOPLE at the very least
100%
FOOTY OPTION because that's how I roll.
No votes

Total votes: 8

Sneelock

Self Driving Cars

Postby Sneelock » 20 Mar 2018, 00:19

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auto ... SKBN1GV296
TEMPE, Ariz./SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An Uber self-driving car hit and killed a woman crossing the street in Arizona, police said on Monday, marking the first fatality involving an autonomous vehicle and a potential blow to the technology expected to transform transportation.

it was just a matter of time, wasn't it?
what happens now?
uggy poopy doody.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Self Driving Cars

Postby Jimbo » 20 Mar 2018, 00:34

When I was a kid I'd nod off on old Bessie's back and except for some ass chafing she'd have me back to the barn in fine condition.
Question authority.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 20 Mar 2018, 01:33

To my way of thinking, figuring out how not to kill people should be a pre-production step. But I suppose that's why I'm not wealthy.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Mar 2018, 04:23

I think they should have gone back to the drawing board earlier this year when that self driving Tesla ran into a fire truck in Culver City.
https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autop ... ash-radar/

I’m a long way from feeling safe around the damned things. I mean, it’s real impressive and sophisticated but if you can’t tell the difference between a stop sign and a KFC sign, you’ve got no business driving.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/2 ... ais_might/
uggy poopy doody.

`

Postby ` » 20 Mar 2018, 09:54

There always seem to be five or six of these fucking driverless cars hanging around on our street after dark
like something out of a Stephen King novel.

It's getting so bad, I can't even take the dog for a walk

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 20 Mar 2018, 11:08

wait until the NRA arm them...
You don't like me...do you?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Mar 2018, 11:45

Who has to pay the insurance though? If it's self driving, does the car company paid for the insurance since you don't control it?. Then when you put it in to self drive, you're the one paying the insurance?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 20 Mar 2018, 14:24

Dr Markus wrote:Who has to pay the insurance though? If it's self driving, does the car company paid for the insurance since you don't control it?. Then when you put it in to self drive, you're the one paying the insurance?

There was a piece on Radio 4 last week about this. If I remember correctly the third party will always be insured by the car maker. As long as the car has not been altered or tampered with in any way by the owner then the insurance will cover all loses. However, if the car has been tampered with , then the third party will be covered, but not the owner.

I don't think it is possible to have driverless cars. There are are just too many randoms. including some clever cunts who will think throwing themselves at them is an easy way to make money from an insurance claim..
You don't like me...do you?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Mar 2018, 14:41

Aye there'll always be some cunt trying to get a claim. But i'm wondering now, will these cars need to get updates like computers/latops? Do you need a constant connection to the internet for this update? Would you be able to drive while the update is happening? "Sorry i'm late for work, car was updating it's software". If you didn't get the update, is that your fault and the insurance and car company will say, "tight one, here's a bus schedule, funnily enough, self driving too".
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Mar 2018, 18:00

It seems there's always a rush to get the first _______on the market as it has a lot of advantages for the maker but this isn't one of those products that should be treated that way. I too have a lot of reservations about self driving cars. I don't see me ever owning one.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Mar 2018, 18:06

Six String wrote:It seems there's always a rush to get the first _______on the market as it has a lot of advantages for the maker but this isn't one of those products that should be treated that way. I too have a lot of reservations about self driving cars. I don't see me ever owning one.

You should be more worried about self playing six string basses. :o

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 20 Mar 2018, 18:31

I heard that the woman who was killed had recently posted on Facebook that she "hated self-driving cars". :o :shock: :o
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Mar 2018, 18:32

Are we getting a self posting Harv?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 20 Mar 2018, 19:32

Six String wrote:It seems there's always a rush to get the first _______on the market as it has a lot of advantages for the maker but this isn't one of those products that should be treated that way. I too have a lot of reservations about self driving cars. I don't see me ever owning one.

Quite right, Les. You are perfectly capable of spectacularly crashing your own car.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 20 Mar 2018, 21:03

If they want me to be their fucking guinea pig and risk death every time I go out on the street, the least they can do is PAY ME a salary commensurate to a profession that requires risking death every day of my life.

They're not gonna do that are they? Then GET THEM OFF MY FUCKING STREET. I'm not the one that stands to get rich off it, they are gonna get rich off our fucking blood and broken bones as a necessary part of "development" so FUUUUUCK THEM!!!!

I hope the jury gives that victim's family a settlement of $50 billion dollars.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 20 Mar 2018, 21:21

I've been self driving cars for years, what's the big deal?
king of the divan

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Mar 2018, 21:28

:lol:the big deal is that if you hit somebody it would be a pretty open and shut case.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auto ... me=topNews
this makes my head hurt.
uggy poopy doody.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 20 Mar 2018, 22:23

Sneelock wrote::lol:the big deal is that if you hit somebody it would be a pretty open and shut case.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auto ... me=topNews
this makes my head hurt.

Legal musical chairs. It's their fault. No, it's their fault. No, it's those guys. The last woman left standing will be the pedestrian. It's all her fault!
king of the divan

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 20 Mar 2018, 22:35

My thing with driverless cars would be the people who expire mid trip and rock up to their destination dead.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 Mar 2018, 03:06

Hate them and it's not going to work although maybe trucks on super highways in designated lanes. So many problems- bad weather my current car has all those cameras but fog or rain or snow they all stop working so how is that going to work? The car just stops in the middle of the road? Insurance is another problem. How is passing on highways going to work?

I can see the driving parts with a driver as backup.

Return to “Nextdoorland”