58%
Dog
42%

Total votes: 33

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Cat v Dog

Postby Deebank » 19 Mar 2018, 13:31

I have had my faith in the intelligence of dogs shaken in the last day or so.
We have a west highland terrier called Lulu who loves the snow. She burrows into it head first and generally rolls around like a loon.

She barked to come back in the house follwoing extensive frolics but because the snow had clumped onto her westie fur - especially on her legs and face - she couldn't actually see and walked straight into the wall.

When we'd stopped laughing we had to get a hair dryer out to free her from the snow balls.

My mum's cat took one look at the snow and came sraight back in the house apparently. Sensible but a bit boring.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 19 Mar 2018, 13:32

Cats v Cat Owners

Cats please.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Mar 2018, 13:33

I grew up with cats and have great affection for them. My parents got a pair of kittens shortly before I moved away and it is still a joy to see them whenever we are over visiting; my own kids love seeing them, though the cats themselves, now at what is in cat years around retirement age, are not that enamoured of having their tails yanked by toddlers. My boy is four now and last time we were there they did seem to realise he was trustworthy now. My girl is, however, a little short of two and an evil monster, and I expect that when next she meets them they will be using the time to explore the woods behind the garden at some length.

Dogs are I'm sure fine if you like that sort of thing but I never really fancied a pet where you have to wake up at 5am to take it for a walk or which comes and wants to play ball when you're trying to watch Cadfael or something.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Mar 2018, 13:42

Deebank wrote:
fange wrote:Excellent, yomp! :D

Why is that some people get their knickers in such a twist about cats being cats? "Oh, they're so aloof." "Oh, they can't be taught tricks." and similar palaver.
It's strange to me, it really is.

:lol:

Where did that happen?

The OP is asking us to state our preference and that's what people have done - and stated why that is (mostly).

You're kidding, right? Look at Copey's posts, JC, markus, ray - all of them mention what they think of/why they don't like cats. And some the "science" to back it up, no less.

I think this kind of dog v cat argument can trigger some very old, primal reactions in people. It can go back to when we were kids; red-hot likes and dislikes that can go to the core of who we thought we were, the kind of thinking that is hard to shake.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Mar 2018, 13:46

fange wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Why is that some people get their knickers in such a twist about cats being cats? "Oh, they're so aloof." "Oh, they can't be taught tricks." and similar palaver.

Where did that happen?

The OP is asking us to state our preference and that's what people have done - and stated why that is (mostly).

You're kidding, right? Look at Copey's posts, JC, markus, ray - all of them mention what they think of/why they don't like cats. And some the "science" to back it up, no less.

I think this kind of dog v cat argument can trigger some very old, primal reactions in people. It can go back to when we were kids; red-hot likes and dislikes that can go to the core of who we thought we were, the kind of thinking that is hard to shake.

Exactly!
I love all animals. I never met one I didn't like. I even have warm feelings for roaches. I think dogs are ace. It's possible to love a dog without dissing a cat, man.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Mar 2018, 13:50

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:
fange wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Where did that happen?

Exactly!
I love all animals. I never met one I didn't like. I even have warm feelings for roaches. I think dogs are ace. It's possible to love a dog without dissing a cat, man.

*high five*
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Mar 2018, 13:50

fange wrote:ray - all of them mention what they think of/why they don't like cats.

OI! I did nothing of the fucking sort.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Mar 2018, 13:57

No offense to anyone here, but I've got a built-in dislike of dog owners, largely from occasionally living next door to some of the worst kind of vile wankers you'd ever want to avoid. People who'd lock their dog in the shed from 5am to 7pm, or people who'd lock their dog in the house while they had a weekend away. It's not pleasant for the dog, and it's definitely not pleasant for the people next door.

And I've never know cat owners do that. Or, at least, the cat didn't make me aware of it if it did happen.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 19 Mar 2018, 14:02

fange wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Where did that happen?

A lot just depends on the animal(s) you had around you when you were growing up.

Anyway I don’t think it’s particularly controversial to say that dogs are friendlier than cats - even cat lovers say that!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Mar 2018, 14:14

Rayge wrote:
fange wrote:ray - all of them mention what they think of/why they don't like cats.

OI! I did nothing of the fucking sort.

Sorry guv. The first part of yours just felt anti-cat, and i didn't read the 2nd part. :)

Anyway, i really do like dogs; i've had a couple of dogs over the journey myself. I've just liked having cats more.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Mar 2018, 14:19

To those who think cats don't or can't have real feelings for people...

Jonny Spencer wrote:

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 19 Mar 2018, 14:22

what about a CAT-O-DOG?

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Mar 2018, 14:28

WARRIOR/DESTROYER XI wrote:what about a CAT-O-DOG?

Damn!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 19 Mar 2018, 16:22

I imagine folks know which side of the divide I fall on.

I will say, as regards the "science" of their relative intelligence, it is clearly measured by human standards, which are not particularly applicable. Dogs probably have a larger brain with more folds in it, but both species are perfectly developed to interact with humans in the way that best suits them. Any notion that cats are selfish bastards that don't care about humans or that dogs are kiss-asses that are incapable of selfishness is a gross generalization. Like humans, the species is made up of billions of individuals with some commonality and a great variety in personality.

I like dogs just fine, but I've never shared a space with one long term. And some of my favorite roommates have been cats.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Mar 2018, 16:49

WARRIOR/DESTROYER XI wrote:what about a CAT-O-DOG?

Or a HUMA-DOG?

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Mar 2018, 16:53

I like cats. Dogs are generally too slobbery, barky, stinky and crotch-sniffy for my liking.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Mar 2018, 21:59

yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:
fange wrote:What a load of pseudo-science bollocks, Copey.

Cats can be absolutely wonderful pets, and many of them build extraordinarily complex and strong relationships with their humans; loving, protective and fun.

I like dogs very much, but have always preferred having cats.

Meow.

Most of it is actual science.

You are such a cunt sometimes.

I went to read up about the relative assumed intelligence of various species on a sciency looking internet site I'll have you know.

Elephants are more intelligent that Chimpanzees in many ways and rats are more intelligent than cats so there.

Cunt yourself catman
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Mar 2018, 22:13

fange wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Where did that happen?

I love cats, they can be fascinating creatures and they are just incredibly beautiful, they are creatures bred to set off all sorts of instincts to nurture in us - big forward facing eyes etc. But they do tend to be a bit boring most of the time, they are nocturnal hunters so they tend to lie around sleeping most of the day.

I prefer dogs they can be a bit too needy and interactive but they are a companion animal in a way that cats aren't. No one ever said a man's best friend is his cat.

Perhaps we need a Cog or a Dot.

But the thing that does always make me laugh is how cat owners ascribe intelligence to behavior that is really displaying a lack of a certain kind of intelligence that humans value.

If you want to animal to dive into the sea and rescue a child who is drowning then a dog is probably yer man, but if you want a dead mouse left on your pillow every morning then you need a cat.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Mar 2018, 22:47

K wrote:As Rayge knows, I can't stand dogs.
But that's nothing compared to my hatred of bird killing, plants damaging, shit hiding, allergy inducing cats.

I fucking hate them.

and I am sure that they, like everyone else, hate you.
You don't like me...do you?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 19 Mar 2018, 22:49

Samoan wrote:Cats don't go with my asthma and they are sycophants of the highest order.

You never hear of a Guide Cat do you, idle useless bunch.

Haven't we all heard stories about cats dialling 911?!

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Nextdoorland”