A quiz that claims to measure "if you live in a bubble".

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Davey the Fat Boy

Re: A quiz that claims to measure "if you live in a bubble".

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Mar 2018, 21:08

Quaco wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Quaco wrote:Even things like: How many foreign countries have you been to, especially ones that speak a different language? Have you ever stayed in one for over a month? Do you know about the political situation in different countries? These can do a lot to expand one's vision. Someone who is an Evangelical Christian who lives in a small town is likely to be more isolated both socially and culturally.

That’s what is so crazy about the whole presumption behind this. It holds that the narrow definition of “American culture” is outside of the bubble and the rest of the world is inside. So if you eat anywhere outside of Applebee’s and TGI Fridays, you are somehow adrift.

Up is down. Backwards is forwards.

There is something to the idea of going with the masses of people, that a very popular place or belief represents in some way what the country is doing. But there is another way of looking at culture, that is, that culture is the highest expression of a people, the best of what it offers to the rest of the world, not just what the most people do.

But it isn’t even the masses. Take the last election...Clinton actually got more votes, then the urban majority was told by the rural minority that urban centers are bubbles and rural areas are “authentic”.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Mar 2018, 21:18

Q: Who lives in more of a bubble, someone whose family has a breadwinner with a prestige job, or someone whose family doesn't?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 12 Mar 2018, 23:57

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Isn’t rural America a bubble too?

That depends. If those rural Americans are directly part of the agribusiness complex (e.g., Archer Daniels Midlands, General Mills) or indirectly among those who benefit from this (for example, all sorts of supplemental firms that depend on the presence of ADM for their customer base), then they live in the "bubble" created by artificial government subsidies that, for example, pay money to farmers often NOT to grow crops.

These government subsidies that are funded by tax revenue are the reason that there is so much corn and soy in American food. It's artificially cheap because taxpayers are forced to subsidize its production.

If more Americans live in cities - are their lives somehow less “real”?

Their lives are less real in the sense that they really don't depend on the same way on government subsidies handed out to them not to work.

Having said this, one should note that not all farmers are part of agribusinesses with large contingents of lobbyists making sure that the subsidies are forthcoming. This raises another question:

19. Do you have a close friend whose main occupation is a farmer or whose job is the production of foodstuffs.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Mar 2018, 11:24

I'm sure there' some logic to these questions, even though some were weird. The only question I missed was which of these US restaurants have you eaten in.

So I guess i'm a....
48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Mar 2018, 15:25

Dr Markus wrote:I'm sure there' some logic to these questions, even though some were weird. The only question I missed was which of these US restaurants have you eaten in.

I believe the reason that question was asked is all those are chain restaurants, some owned by the same corporation, and are usually tied to shopping mall complexes or part of other retail developments. They're ubiquitous in the US - and usually in areas with certain median incomes. The real estate people for Chilis, for example, know all that kind of info before they invest in properties to develop another restaurant. I'm sure they also research other factors like education levels when they invest. I would also be pretty certain they also research how many people eat beef during the week. They're investing lots of money and have this stuff down to a science and it is a science.

In big cities and more affluent areas, the real estate is too high, for one, to afford a chain restaurant of Chilis size to make the kind of profit margins they want.

The area I live in now is much more middle class and was developed much later than the other side of the Bay where I grew up. There are lots of chain restaurants. In the area I grew up in, which is now very, very affluent, there are hardly any. And if there are any, they are near malls in less affluent areas. Most of the restaurants near where I grew up are more upscale dining establishments than when I grew up. Heck, when I grew up there was a Woolworth's with a lunch counter, which was not uncommon at the time.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.