A quiz that claims to measure "if you live in a bubble".

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
take5_d_shorterer

A quiz that claims to measure "if you live in a bubble".

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 11 Mar 2018, 23:35

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Re: A quiz that claims to measure "if you live in a bubble".

Postby LeBaron » 11 Mar 2018, 23:44

43, which is probably based on growing up in a small town and living in some blue collar neighborhoods. I certainly live in a bubble now.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 11 Mar 2018, 23:50

Perhaps or perhaps not. Keep in mind the metric that quiz uses may or may not be valid.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Mar 2018, 09:31

I got 35, though I obviously tried translocating the questions to the UK as best as possible. I am the bubble.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 12 Mar 2018, 09:32

The Moops.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 12 Mar 2018, 11:42

64 points. I've been poor, I have conservative and evangelical friends and relatives and I've lived in rural and conservative communities.

I thought the quiz was drivel.
--m.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Mar 2018, 12:15

You got 50 points.

Did the uniform question include a mandatory jacket and tie? I assumed not.
Gadfly

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 12 Mar 2018, 12:56

Darkness_Fish wrote:I got 35, though I obviously tried translocating the questions to the UK as best as possible. I am the bubble.

...according to this quiz, which the political scientist Charles Murray wrote for his book Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960–2010 to examine (supposedly) how "White America" is splitting into at least two very separate camps with one part very unconnected and isolated from American culture.

Here's a quote from the article I linked to.

Murray argues that the super wealthy, super educated and super snobby live in so-called super-ZIPs: cloistered together, with little to no exposure to American culture at large.

Those people, he says, live in a social and cultural bubble. And so he includes this 25-question quiz, covering beer to politics to Avon to “The Big Bang Theory,” to help readers determine how thick their own bubble may be.

There are so many important things in American culture that Murray's quiz does not address, that is to say, it doesn't ask whether someone has had exposure in any significant way to people who are different from you by 1. age, 2. health, 3. race, 4. sexual orientation, 5. country of origin and visa status, 6. native language, or 7. exposure to violence.

None of this is covered. The main reasons I'm writing this are 1) when I've seen this linked to in facebook, no one seems to mention these omissions and 2) once I started coming up with supplemental questions, I was surprised how much stuff Murray left out of his "quiz".

Here's a short list of what I came up with:

1. Do you have a close friend who is from a different race?

2. Do you have a close friend who significantly older or younger than you are ( > 20 year difference in age)?

3. Do you have a close friend whose health is substantially worse than yours and whom you help?

4. Do you have a close friend who lives in a different country?

5. Do you have a close friend whose native language is different from yours?

6. Do you have a close friend who is not a citizen of your country?

7. Do you have a close friend who has a different sexual orientation than you do?

8. Do you have a close friend whom you met after the age of 24 whose income is substantially different from yours?

9. Do you have a close friend whom you met after the age of 24 whose educational level is substantially different from yours?

10. Do you have a close friend whose housing is substantially different from your own? I.e., if you own, your friend rents, and vice versa.

11. Do you have a close friend who is of a different sex?

12. Do you have a close friend whose religion or lack of religion is different from yours?

13. Do you have a close friend whose status as a parent (yes/no) is different from yours?

14. Do you have a close friend whose mental health is substantially different from yours?

15. Do you have a close friend who was murdered?

16. Do you have a close friend who was the victim of some other violent crime?

17. Do you have a close friend who served time in jail?

18. Do you have a close friend who is now in a nursing home?

As I said, Murray's quiz seems to be making the rounds on social media. Feel free to quote anything from the above, including the supplemental questions.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Mar 2018, 13:13

Do you even have a close friend?
Gadfly

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 12 Mar 2018, 13:25

Surely this is a more important measure of social isolation than the beer you have in your refrigerator.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Mar 2018, 13:33

take5_d_shorterer wrote:Surely this is a more important measure of social isolation than the beer you have in your refrigerator.

That was a really weird question. For a start, I have bought mass market beet for my fridge, generally when it's summer and there's a good chance of people popping round unexpectedly, who may want a beer. I also buy micro-brewery beer, because I'm an elitist, snobby scumbag who gives his friends cheap beer.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Mar 2018, 13:54

I live in a bubble pure and simple. The South East is the richest part of Europe and I'm in one of the richest towns. But getting out of that bubble is difficult - you can only, realistically, go on what you know and experience on a day to day basis. I'm not going to be a tourist in other people's experiences. I have friends who are definitely outside of the bubble.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 12 Mar 2018, 14:37

Darkness_Fish wrote:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:Surely this is a more important measure of social isolation than the beer you have in your refrigerator.

That was a really weird question.

There are other weird questions as well such as the one asking how many times you ate at certain chain restaurants.

The most economically disadvantaged people in the US would answer "zero" because they don't have the spare cash to eat out. Do these people live in a bubble? I guess you could say so if you wanted to talk about a "bubble of poverty", but that situation is very different from being separated from the rest of society because your are wealthy.

What's being measured by this question?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Mar 2018, 14:41

Tedium ?
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 12 Mar 2018, 20:03

So you think there's no ulterior motive?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Mar 2018, 20:16

Isn’t rural America a bubble too?

If more Americans live in cities - are their lives somehow less “real”?
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Mar 2018, 20:40

take5_d_shorterer wrote:4. Do you have a close friend who lives in a different country?

Even things like: How many foreign countries have you been to, especially ones that speak a different language? Have you ever stayed in one for over a month? Do you know about the political situation in different countries? These can do a lot to expand one's vision. Someone who is an Evangelical Christian who lives in a small town is likely to be more isolated both socially and culturally.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Mar 2018, 20:52

Quaco wrote:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:4. Do you have a close friend who lives in a different country?

Even things like: How many foreign countries have you been to, especially ones that speak a different language? Have you ever stayed in one for over a month? Do you know about the political situation in different countries? These can do a lot to expand one's vision. Someone who is an Evangelical Christian who lives in a small town is likely to be more isolated both socially and culturally.

That’s what is so crazy about the whole presumption behind this. It holds that the narrow definition of “American culture” is outside of the bubble and the rest of the world is inside. So if you eat anywhere outside of Applebee’s and TGI Fridays, you are somehow adrift.

Up is down. Backwards is forwards.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Mar 2018, 20:59

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Quaco wrote:

That’s what is so crazy about the whole presumption behind this. It holds that the narrow definition of “American culture” is outside of the bubble and the rest of the world is inside. So if you eat anywhere outside of Applebee’s and TGI Fridays, you are somehow adrift.

Up is down. Backwards is forwards.

There is something to the idea of going with the masses of people, that a very popular place or belief represents in some way what the country is doing. But there is another way of looking at culture, that is, that culture is the highest expression of a people, the best of what it offers to the rest of the world, not just what the most people do.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Mar 2018, 21:03

But the San Francisco Bay Area was much different when I grew up than it is now.

My parents didn't go to college and neither did many of my friends' parents. The Bay Area used to be a very strong union area with all kinds of manufacturing and shipping. On the way to San Francisco is the town of So. San Francisco has, The Industrial City emblazoned on a hill. My dad worked in the steel mill there. Of kids in school, I think maybe a little over 50% went to college.

Last edited by sloopjohnc on 12 Mar 2018, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.