Questions about magazines

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
pcqgod

Questions about magazines

Postby pcqgod » 09 Mar 2018, 17:58

What is the latest magazine you purchased or read?
Have you ever had a subscription to a magazine?
Do you have stacks or boxes full of old magazines? Which ones?
What is the oldest magazine in your collection?
Favorite of these: music, sports, film/television, comedy/humor, hobby, historical, travel, ones with centerfolds?
Last edited by pcqgod on 09 Mar 2018, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Questions about magazines

Postby Toby » 09 Mar 2018, 18:22

- The latest issue of the Spectator.

-Yep, the Spectator, The Blizzard (a quarterly magazine devoted to esoteric journalism on Soccer) and History Today.

- I've got all of the Blizzard issues as they're quite collectable but other than that I bin the others as I've got digital access.

- Nothing of any real interest. I might have the odd NME issue somewhere.

Favorite of these: music, sports, film/television, comedy, hobby, historical, ones with centerfolds?

- Historical & Hobby. Music journalism has mostly gravitated to the web, I'm not interested in Cinema anymore. I think the last wank mag I bought was in Australia back in about 1997.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Mar 2018, 18:35

I used to subscribe to Sight and Sound, but eventually it was just a boring read.

I bought the first 10 or so issues of Loaded, which was a brilliant mag at that stage - for men who should know better, indeed. After about a year though some of the writers changed (so I understand) and instead of being tongue in cheek it became crass.

The best mag I get these days is Dispatches, which is the regular MSF update.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Mar 2018, 18:38

What is the latest magazine you purchased or read? Most recent "The Week" if allowed, if not "Gridiron" magazine.
Have you ever had a subscription to a magazine?Yes. Q & Mojo in days of old. Tight But Loose (Zep fanzine), Gridiron & Cornwall Living - all current.
Do you have stacks or boxes full of old magazines? Which ones? Yes mostly old Mojo's & q's... dealing with Zep, Kate, Bowie, Crowded House etc.
What is the oldest magazine in your collection? November 1956 National Geographic (the one that inspired the "Presence" cover) * see below
Favorite of these: music, sports, film/television, comedy, hobby, historical, ones with centerfolds? Nearly always music.

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 09 Mar 2018, 19:10

pcqgod wrote:
we're talking actual, physical magazines made out of trees? right? the last one I purchased was probably a MAD Magazine with a Star Wars parody or something. the last time I got my hair cut I read Wired & Time and some CAR magazine.

Have you ever had a subscription to a magazine? goodness gracious, what a question to ask a pathetic oldster such as myself. dozens! "The Nation","SPY" "The Week" "NatLamp" "Film Comment" "Option" "Foreign Affairs", the beat goes on...
Do you have stacks or boxes full of old magazines? Which ones? I had to get rid of all my vinyl back in the late 90's. that was rough but I lived. I've since made an effort to "de-fetishize" certain things - magazines among them. I might still have the odd "MOJO" or "Film Comment" in the garage somewhere. there's bound to be couple of Screenwriting magazines and some geeky "Starlost" sci-fi fan type stuff but not very much. Most of what's piling up are magazines with recipes or "how to organize your closet" articles in them.
What is the oldest magazine in your collection? I might have a couple of "Heavy Metal"s I think I still have some old "OP"s (before it became "Option") and probably some FX magazine with a "ghostbusters" pictoral.
Favorite of these: music, sports, film/television, comedy, hobby, historical, ones with centerfolds I'm a sucker for magazines. just yesterday I described the internet to a fellow old person as "the world's largest magazine stand". I don't much care for sports but I'll pick up a sports magazine. I might flip through it in record time but it's worth a look.

I'd like to add that I think that magazines is one of the things my "Tablet" does well. I'll miss "real" magazines but I'm certainly making my peace with what they are becoming.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Mar 2018, 19:31

Sneelock wrote: we're talking actual, physical magazines made out of trees?

I was talking about old-school print magazines, but we can expand the discussion to ones viewed on a tablet or other device.
Last edited by pcqgod on 09 Mar 2018, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 Mar 2018, 19:32

What is the latest magazine you purchased or read? - Which (february issue)

Have you ever had a subscription to a magazine? - Which, The New Statesman, The Garden, The BFI/NFT one that went with the cinema membership subscription, Nursing Times, Trauma.

Do you have stacks or boxes full of old magazines? - Yup. Which ones? - Definitely, The Garden.

- Who knows ? I haven't delved to the bottom recently

Favorite of these: music, sports, film/television, comedy, hobby, historical, ones with centrefolds - I like the one with impressive photos and professional updates, some of which bewilder me such as how new trees take root and develop best in a square hole rather than a round hole.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Mar 2018, 01:35

The New Yorker yesterday, given to me by a friend

Only the economist for a year. I liked the illustrations.

Do you have stacks or boxes full of old magazines?
No. But in college I made a huge mural of cut-outs and for a while I carried pieces of magazine around.

What is the oldest magazine in your collection
I have a very very small collection of old film "magazines"
And some theatre ones. I think 1932 is probably the oldest.

Favorite of these: music, sports, film/television, comedy/humor, hobby, historical, travel, ones with centerfolds?

I really liked Fast Company for a while... a design and marketing one. That s not even the question. Film, I guess?
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Mar 2018, 05:24

Q and Private Eye

Q now, previously EVO and the one that the that former Smash Hits OGWT guy used to run, which I rather liked, and once upon a time Mojo.
Originally Warlord

No I chuck them out

No collection but I have some old Time Crisis mags around somewhere for some reason

Music, cars, Politics, sport.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 10 Mar 2018, 09:40

Octane magazine. It's about cars and is an amazing read.

I get sent lots for free at work, but the ones that I have shelled out my own money for in the past for years on end are Mojo, Record Collector and Private Eye. I might subscribe to The Week if I didn't get it gratis.

Yes. All motoring mags, the others get recycled

I used to have Motor Sport going back to the 1950s with occasional pre-war issues, but now I guess it is probably some time in the early 1980s.

Classic car mags (especially Octane, which is by far the best), then Private Eye, then music.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Mar 2018, 10:24

PROG Magazine- at Sydney Airport last month.

Yes, as a child several comics, then a science mag (KIJK), then the Dutch music mag OOR. I bought lots of German and English music mags in the 80s and 90s, I virtually bought every NME and MM between 1991 and 1999. Also loved Sounds, Q (depending who was on the cover) and the Dutch indie Vinyl.

Do you have stacks or boxes full of old magazines?
Which ones?

Collected year compendiums of Eppo and Kuifje (Tintin magazine, Belgium) so they are all bundled in book format. I kept a lot of the NMEs and Melody Makers I bought weekly as well but when I migrated I turfed the lot.

My Kuifje-collection dates back to December 1974.

Music and comics.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Mar 2018, 11:41

Yesterday's New Statesman. Not read it yet.

I am subscribed to the New statesman.
And the Marvel Star Wars comics

I have a big box of DC comics from the 60s (they were my dad's). I keep comics but not magazines.

Only comics again. A 1961 copy of The Flash. (It's a bit tatty)

Politics and music, I guess.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Mar 2018, 22:12

Bloody hell. Probably any number of Bowie -fronted magazines after he died, pulled off checkout shelves while standing bawling and sniffling, not really knowing if they were going to be of any quality.

Yes. Four Four Two, When Saturday Comes, Skin Two.

I think I got rid of most of them when I moved to the US other than the things that were completely sentimental.

I still haven't unpacked properly since moving here. When I find it I'll tell you.

I don't know the answer to this. I like magazines that look attractive and have good writing, the subject is less important.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Mar 2018, 23:21

I'm afraid it's Mojo.

Yes. I used to get those discounted rate subscriptions to things then cancel when they went up to full price. I think Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Cat Fancy, maybe one or two others.

I have all the ones I wrote for, plus a decent collection of Mojos and Southern Rag/Folk Roots/FRoots (I did actually write for them, but only once).

Probably some baseball thing from the 70s.

The first three, probably. I still buy music and baseball magazines and occasionally film ones (more a function of the lack of good ones in the last case. God, I miss American Film magazine!
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Mar 2018, 09:05

I used to read The NME, Melody Maker, and Kerrang!, about 20-25 years ago. I've subscribed to The Wire for years and years. That's it as far as magazines go.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Mar 2018, 16:03

Some Texas music magazine I saw in a supermarket rack near the checkout. It had articles about St. Vincent, Johnny Ace, Whitney Rose, and Kenny Dorham. I think it was called 'Texas Music.'

No. I was getting a former tenant's subscription to Maxim for a while.

Mainly music mags from the 70's to early 90's era -- CREEM, Option, Spin, The Bob, etc. plus a bunch of Cracked mazagines.

I think I still have a really old National Geographic somewhere. Other than that, an early Cracked from the late 50's.

I pick up the occasional sports or film/movie mag, but it's mainly music for me.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Mar 2018, 15:43

The new Mojo just came. I subscribed again.

Geez, tons: Premiere (no longer around), The New Yorker (hard to keep up with every week so not anymore), Vanity Fair, Harper's, Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News, Ring magazine, Mojo, Q, Shindig, Wax Poetics, Ugly Things, Acoustic Guitar, National Lampoon

I keep the Ugly Things because it's limited run and their value rises pretty quickly.

No idea.

I can find all the sports stuff I want online now at ESPN, Bleacher Report, Deadspin, the Athletic, the Undefeated, Players' Tribune, etc., so music. If a choice between either, it's pretty up for grabs.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 13 Mar 2018, 18:13

Probably The Economist or New Statesman. I only buy them at airports.

Back in Greece I had a subscription to a science magazine whose name completely escapes me, for about a year when I was at school.

I still have whatever magazines my dad kept, some History magazine from the late 60's to mid 70's. The take quite a bit of space in the library.

See above

History and politics. I'm burnt out on music magazines these and I always found car and sports magazines useless.
I run out of talent