R.I.P. the print edition of the NME

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

R.I.P. the print edition of the NME

Postby Copehead » 08 Mar 2018, 05:05

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/07/farewell-to-nme-rocknroll-riot-that-petered-into-silence

This place became my new NME many years ago and one that would publish my missives.

Sad to see it go but from what I could tell recently it had become an irrelevance in the internet age.

I have fond memories of picking it up on a Thursday morning and heading to the café opposite Buster Browns on market Street by Waverley Station to read it cover to cover over a couple of coffees.

It continues to exist online apparently, don't all rush at once
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Hugh

Re: R.I.P. the print edition of the NME

Postby Hugh » 08 Mar 2018, 08:07

Copehead wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/07/farewell-to-nme-rocknroll-riot-that-petered-into-silence

This place became my new NME many years ago and one that would publish my missives.

Yes, I remember when Ian Penman and Paul Morley used to write pretentious, incomprehensible bollocks as well.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Mar 2018, 08:19

Hugh wrote:
Copehead wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/07/farewell-to-nme-rocknroll-riot-that-petered-into-silence

Yes, I remember when Ian Penman and Paul Morley used to write pretentious, incomprehensible bollocks as well.

I am sorry my penmanship is beyond your comprehension Hugh, I will dumb it down a bit so you can enjoy it too, thanks for the heads up.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 08 Mar 2018, 08:25

I am happy for you to leave it as incomprehensible, thanks. Maybe just tone down the pretension and the bollocks.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 08 Mar 2018, 13:27

I think the last time I bought a copy was when it was a broadsheet style paper. A long time ago. Maybe if they'd positioned themselves as a free Pitchfork type online presence and gave up the print edition sooner they might have survived.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Mar 2018, 20:47

I picked my copy up every Thursday afternoon from work in Amsterdam on my way home...always cursing the ink blackening my fingers but making the journey home very enjoyable.
I always marveled how English music mags lived by the opinions of the writers in comparison to the Dutch and German music mags I read. At times it was almost like being bullied into liking bands. But it certainly was one of those mags that have put me onto a lot of good music too.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Mar 2018, 21:56

Tactful Cactus wrote:I think the last time I bought a copy was when it was a broadsheet style paper. A long time ago. Maybe if they'd positioned themselves as a free Pitchfork type online presence and gave up the print edition sooner they might have survived.

They have survived as an, apparently, quite successful internet site, but I am not sure how much credibility they have left as a fount of musical wisdom, and a lot of their content seems to be ripped from other sites or be things like Top 10 songs about Jam. I imagine the almost total lack of white boys with guitars these days has left them in a heap between the two stools of R&B/Rap mainstream and White man with beard/ white woman with harp alternative that seem to make up most of the world's listening these days.

Q still seems able to straddle that divide as a monthly but does seem rather disjointed and confused in its coverage, Mojo is firmly in one camp and then there are online arbiters of taste like Pitchfork that I have never been to in my life because they say nothing to me about my life.

We need to monetize this place for Jethro and turn it into a European version of Pitchfork, we need ads, we need people to tell us what to listen to.

Unfortunately for most people on here that would mean pressing a Gentle Giant LP in your hands and no one wants that.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Mar 2018, 22:02

never/ever wrote:b] At times it was almost like being bullied into liking bands[/b]. But it certainly was one of those mags that have put me onto a lot of good music too.

How very true, in the 80s there was a party line of artists you should like and artists you shouldn't, in fact there were 2 party lines, the Rockists and the Soul Boys, telling you that the Smiths or alternatively Prince were what you should be listening to. Being a bit of a conformist I listened to both.

But it was like being shouted at about James Brown by an angry man in Oxford Bags at times.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Mar 2018, 00:39

Copehead wrote:R&B/Rap mainstream and White man with beard/ white woman with harp alternative...

Man, if there was ever a poll waiting to BCB happen....
:!:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D