Self-Proclaimed Antifascists Shut Down 'Alt-Right' Speech At Kings College London

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr Markus

Self-Proclaimed Antifascists Shut Down 'Alt-Right' Speech At Kings College London

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 12:50

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/violence-breaks-self-proclaimed-antifascists-shut-alt-right/

group of people calling themselves London Antifa stormed a right-wing talk at a London university last night, with the intention of shutting it down.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/kings-college-london-building-evacuated-after-masked-protesters-storm-talk-featuring-alt-right-a3782206.html

King's College London building evacuated after masked protesters storm talk featuring 'alt right' Vlogger

Looks like this is starting in England now. :shock:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Self-Proclaimed Antifascists Shut Down 'Alt-Right' Speech At Kings College London

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 14:51

Stuff like that has always gone on in universities Markus. Nothing to see here.

bye

Re: Self-Proclaimed Antifascists Shut Down 'Alt-Right' Speech At Kings College London

Postby bye » 06 Mar 2018, 14:57

Yeah I know.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Mar 2018, 15:08

Idiots.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 15:18

The Modernist wrote:Stuff like that has always gone on in universities Markus. Nothing to see here.

It's not really happing in England though is it? That' the reason for posting it. I know it happens a lot in the US.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 15:57

Dr Markus wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Stuff like that has always gone on in universities Markus. Nothing to see here.

It's not really happing in England though is it? That' the reason for posting it. I know it happens a lot in the US.

Yes it's the kind of thing that's always happened in British universities, at least since the mid sixties.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 06 Mar 2018, 16:00

It is also a tactic of Momentum to No platform anyone who disagrees with them in any way. Something we will all have to get used to come the purges.
You don't like me...do you?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 16:01

RE MOD:

Agreed but I think that's more an generalization. I'm talking more about how it's connected to today's political and social climate that seems to be happening weekly in the US, and this is the first time, I've heard of it, happening in the UK.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 06 Mar 2018, 16:09

good luck Moddy
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Mar 2018, 16:12

The Modernist wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:

Yes it's the kind of thing that's always happened in British universities, at least since the mid sixties.

As someone who was at university in the mid sixties, I can confirm this is true, although it was very rare for anyone right of the Conservatives (then a centre right party) to be offered a platform.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Mar 2018, 16:14

yomptepi wrote:It is also a tactic of Momentum to No platform anyone who disagrees with them in any way. Something we will all have to get used to come the purges.

What a very silly bear you are at times.
Not cross. Just disappointed
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Mar 2018, 16:54

I think the results of Italy's election over the weekend casts a different light on this.
Hell, I think the results of MANY recent elections casts a different light on this.
something ugly is taking root in the world and many people are resorting to ugly measures to deal with it.
you either buy the "fighting fire with fire argument" or you don't. I'm not sure where I stand on that - I DO see a fire, though.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 16:57

Yeah the shutting down of any speech you don't like is very dangerous, even if it is wrong. If you use this method instead of debate, I don't think you'll ever truly win.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Mar 2018, 17:01

I listen all day to people saying we'll never get rid off ALL the guns so any gun measures are wrong.

I think it's a real shame that so many people expend so much more energy on people speaking out AGAINST fascism than against the voices raised FOR it.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Mar 2018, 17:03

we treat pro-fascits like a fucking lifestyle choice now? it's hate speech. those clowns in Italy really promote ethnic cleansing. you stand by and let that brush fire grow or do you get a bucket and try to put it out?

me, I just stand around and complain about what others are doing because I'm a people person and that's where the action is.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Mar 2018, 17:22

Dr Markus wrote:Yeah the shutting down of any speech you don't like is very dangerous, even if it is wrong.

On the other hand,

(Sorry if I'm "dumbing this down." I'm in a hurry and don't have time to summarize Popper.)
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 17:26

The issue with above is you're not defending intolerance, you're defending their right to speak. To me that's two different things. The other problem is if it's outside the law, who polices it until it's not needed anymore or not needed as much? Who draws the line what is acceptable for their cause and what is not?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 18:05

What you're not considering in your responses Markus is the point people are making about the rise of the far right, that was the danger that Snee was referring to in his post.
Now I don't know if this guy is a neofascist or not. I'd have to find out more about him. But I find the label 'alt-right' very woolly, what does it actually mean.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 18:08

I am fully considering the rise of the far right, i'm asking at what point does using their own tactic against them stop? or who polices it? and who says when it goes too far?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 06 Mar 2018, 18:14

Indeed. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.