R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers (M*A*S*H)

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers (M*A*S*H)

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Mar 2018, 03:05

I am not by nature a superstitious person... but I can't help but find it unsettling that, having spent a good few minutes shortly after getting up this morning thinking of David Ogden Stiers - the actor who played Charles Emerson Winchester III on M*A*S*H and the stammering but ruthless program director (or was it station owner) who ends up firing most of the WJM newsroom in the last episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, among many other roles - someone I can't recall ever dwelling much on before - I should find out just a few minutes ago that he died today.

ooo-WEEEE-oooo.

R.I.P., sir.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 04 Mar 2018, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

never/ever

Re: R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers (M*A*S*H)

Postby never/ever » 04 Mar 2018, 03:20

Achhhh.
Obnoxious character in Mash but he played it well.
RIP!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Mar 2018, 09:10

Aww.

Stiers was the associate conductor for the Newport (Oregon) Symphony Orchestra and the Ernest Bloch Music Festival.[8] He also guest-conducted over 70 orchestras around the world, including the Oregon Mozart Players, the Vancouver Symphony, the Virginia Symphony, the Oregon Chamber Players, the Yaquina (Oregon) Chamber Orchestra, as well as orchestras in San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Chicago and Toronto.

Huh, what do you know?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Mar 2018, 17:46

never/ever wrote:Achhhh.
Obnoxious character in Mash but he played it well.
RIP!

He was supposed to be obnoxious. But a rare case in which the “replacement” character is more interesting and complex than the original.

Stiers was a really good actor. Always worth watching.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Mar 2018, 19:10

"Obnoxious" characters can often be more enjoyable to watch than non-"obnoxious" ones.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Mar 2018, 20:10

I liked the fact that the writers gave his character some depth and didn't just make him another clownish Frank Burns type.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Mar 2018, 21:07

pcqgod wrote:I liked the fact that the writers gave his character some depth and didn't just make him another clownish Frank Burns type.

That's true, although I think that's the way the show was going anyway - if Larry Linville had stayed, Burns' character would surely have grown a few layers.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 07 Mar 2018, 21:16

From one of the main MASH writers

We joined MASH after that season and the first task we all encountered was replacing Frank Burns since Larry Linville decided to leave the show. We wanted the new character to be much smarter than Frank, a worthy adversary for Hawkeye and BJ. There were no casting sessions, no lists compiled. Burt suggested David Ogden Stiers, we were wildly enthusiastic over the idea, and that was that.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

fange

Postby fange » 08 Mar 2018, 09:34

I was always more of a Frank Burns man, but Stiers brought an enjoyably aloof yet human edge to the often adversarial role Winchester played opposite Hawkeye and BJ. And he taught me first what a Boston accent sounds like.

RIP.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!