addiction

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
ORORORO
hounds people off the board

addiction

Postby ORORORO » 03 Mar 2018, 14:11

Is addiction in itself a bad thing? is the term only used to refer to harmful habits? can you be addicted to something that’s good for you?

If someone needs to play STATE OF WAR XV every day is that going to fuck them up?
Jimbo wrote:My brain is packed with info

hippopotamus

Re: addiction

Postby hippopotamus » 03 Mar 2018, 14:27

Well part of the definition is "needing without wanting" which implies it's not for the sake of pleasure just dependence.

I think being out of control of something will always be a Little bit bad. You know, even if you were addicted tk exercise even if you weren't anorexic or anything physical affecting you... it still would be difficult to find yourself irritable and angry out of your control if you weren't allowed to do it.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 03 Mar 2018, 14:36

What about satisfying/managing addiction with controlled doses? If junkies are put onto programs where this is the approach then they don’t have to go through the nightmare of withdrawal and they’re less likely to OD.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Mar 2018, 14:41

You are still managing a need.

Needing to do something, whether it’s good for you or not isn’t ideal.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Mar 2018, 14:58

My BCB addiction has ruined my life
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 03 Mar 2018, 15:00

Goat Boy wrote:My BCB addiction has ruined my life

Your BCB addiction has ruined my life as well.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Mar 2018, 15:08

MAN THAT'S HARSH

Fuck you all.

We won.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 03 Mar 2018, 15:18

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:You are still managing a need.

Of course it’s not. But sometimes it’s better than the alternative.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 03 Mar 2018, 15:21

The arguments against feeding addiction are often more anti-big pharma than pro-health. The opioid crisis in the US, for example.

ORORORO

Postby ORORORO » 03 Mar 2018, 15:29

hippopotamus wrote:You know, even if you were addicted tk exercise even if you weren't anorexic or anything physical affecting you... it still would be difficult to find yourself irritable and angry out of your control if you weren't allowed to do it.

When people say they’re addicted to exercise, isn’t that a misuse of the term?

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Mar 2018, 15:36

Hugh wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:My BCB addiction has ruined my life

Your BCB addiction has ruined my life as well.

:D :D :D
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Mar 2018, 15:37

There's a puritanical attitude towards addiction that does more damage than good at times. *general comment* Too many people see addiction as something that needs to be overcome rather something that needs to be managed. *general comment*

Fuck you all.

We won.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 03 Mar 2018, 15:46

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:Is addiction in itself a bad thing? is the term only used to refer to harmful habits? can you be addicted to something that’s good for you?

If someone needs to play STATE OF WAR XV every day is that going to fuck them up?

The answer to your question is going to be found less in this example or that one and more in the definition of addiction.

wikipedia's seems fine to me.

Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences

Using that definition, addictions lead to bad outcomes so in general they are bad.

Things can get a little more subtle if the activity, for example, exercise, has positive outcomes like better cardiac health, but negative consequences as well such an increased risk of injury. Then you have to weigh the disadvantages against the advantages.

You can discuss and define addictions in terms of internal matters like needs and wants (instead of outcomes) , but there are problems with that. You need to breathe and probably also want to as well. Does that make breathing an addiction? Without looking at the outcomes of the activity, you can't say that much.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Mar 2018, 15:47

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:You know, even if you were addicted tk exercise even if you weren't anorexic or anything physical affecting you... it still would be difficult to find yourself irritable and angry out of your control if you weren't allowed to do it.

When people say they’re addicted to exercise, isn’t that a misuse of the term?

I'd say it is. OK, if exercise is your greatest priority in life. you'd be pissed if you were prohibited to do it.

If we reserve 'addiction' for substance abuse, and the ensuing peaks in dopamine in certain brain areas, then exercise, as far as I know, would't count.

But, two things: exercise on a regular basis increases the release of endogenous endorphines, and these vaguely resemble opiates in their effects - but these are by far not as strong and prolonged as morphine would bring about. Endorphines are degraded much faster.

Second: exercise can counteract feelings of depression. It is believed that it increases neurogenesis (the lifelong birth of new nerve cells (neurons) in a brain area called the hippocampus (one of two of such regions). Also, the newborn cells are richer in synaptic connections with other neurons in their vicinity. In this regard, exercise mimicks (in a number of people with depression) the effect of antidepressants.

Here's a piccie of the effect of sporting on neurogenesis (in the mouse, BTW):

Exercise boosts neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. The images above show newly-born neurons in the dentate gyri of a sedentary mouse (top) and a mouse that ran on a wheel (bottom), as viewed through different microscopes. The running mouse has more new neurons in the dentate gyrus compared to the sedentary mouse.

Lazarov et al. Trends in Neurosciences, 2010.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Mar 2018, 15:50

hippopotamus wrote:Well part of the definition is "needing without wanting" which implies it's not for the sake of pleasure just dependence.

Need and want are unfortunately slippery terms.
I've been addicted to cannabis for the best part of 50 years. If for any reason I can't have any I am mildly irritable for a couple of days, and often find myself unconsciously reaching for something that is not there, but it's a perfectly manageable state, and disappears completely after three days or so. I once quit for six months in the 90s, partly to see what the effects of abstinence were, and I didn't really miss it after the first days. So there is a need of sorts, but it's a long way from overpowering.
That said, I prefer to be stoned, and it's rare that I find myself getting that way when I really don't want to, and the few times I am stoned and presented with a problem normally requiring sobriety I generally take it in my stride – it's not as if I have a challenging lifestyle :D : I don't drive, so that's not a problem, and I'm rarely if ever responsible for the safety and well-being of others. The way I think about things now is that I'll just carry on until my health collapses completely (no sign of that at the moment, still apparently pretty fit, especially considering most of my male antecedents were dead by my age) or the supplies of quality hashish run out (not interested in smoking the TLC-heavy rubbish sold as skunk), then get over it and do something else.
And something else about cannabis that I have noticed is that, unlike all the other drugs of addiction I have experienced at first or second hand, tolerance builds up slowly and dissipates very quickly if you stay away for just a day or two. I've never felt I'm taking a maintenance dose, I am always positively affected. And, unlike booze, say, the effect is more or less the same, just differing in degree.
I know a lot more about addiction these days than I did as a young man because of my relationship with Chip, an alcoholic with alcoholic parents (all three of whom were in recovery for decades when they died, a very rare distinction) and knowing people who had problems with opiates, cocaine, amphetamine or barbiturates, as well as booze, cigarettes and gambling. I stay well away from those.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 03 Mar 2018, 15:53

Goat Boy wrote:MAN THAT'S HARSH

Use menthol tobacco you goon.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 03 Mar 2018, 16:01

I smoke high-end bud everyday. On the rare occasion I run out (not legal in my state) I definitely feel a little shitty physically. My appetite becomes non-existent. I don't eat much anyway. Mentally, I become much more critical of others and generally irritated by minor things. I also lose motivation.

My solution to this is not to run out of bud. If that's a "bad" thing I don't give a fuck. Whatever gets you through the day...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Mar 2018, 16:15

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:

Sure. But your original question was: “Is addiction in itself a bad thing?”. I think it generally is to some degree. But that doesn’t mean that managing an addiction is always bad.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Mar 2018, 16:20

For those interested, here's a long introduction to addiction and its pathways in our brains:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 549070/#R1

There's a nice piece of not-so-trivial knowledge in there: according to the author, there are about 30,000,000 known chemical compounds; and about 100 of these are addictive substances.

(You can download a PDF of it, see top right at that page.)

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Mar 2018, 16:58

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:

Sure. But your original question was: “Is addiction in itself a bad thing?”. I think it generally is to some degree. But that doesn’t mean that managing an addiction is always bad.

Wise words. There are lots of gray areas in between: sober - recreational and social use - regular use - something like: a bit dependent but not addicted - and fully addicted (with severe withdrawal symptoms as a danger).

And a person is so much more than what she or he ingests to feel better, I'd say.