I WANT A WEE-WEE

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: QT live!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 00:53

He was one tiresome long winded tosspot tho' wasn't he?

And what's the point of having that Wetherspoons dickhead on again?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 30 Nov 2018, 03:02

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wonder who the replacement will be?

I like her a lot. She's great on antiques road show.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Nov 2018, 09:37

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:And what's the point of having that Wetherspoons dickhead on again?

I find myself just staring at his face. He has that weird combination of massive head and small features, which make him look like a character from The Magic Faraway Tree.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 09:50

What's wrong with the "Wetherspoons dickhead"? (Apart from wearing dreadful clothes)
Last edited by Toby on 30 Nov 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

caramba

Postby caramba » 30 Nov 2018, 09:51

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:And what's the point of having that Wetherspoons dickhead on again?

I find myself just staring at his face. He has that weird combination of massive head and small features, which make him look like a character from The Magic Faraway Tree.

In fairness, everyone in Wetherspoons starts looking like that after you've downed a few pints

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 09:56

yomptepi wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed Rebecca Long-Bailey on QT tonight. She really is wretched little troll isn't she? Every single question answered with the same attack on the government without any attempt to answer it. She is so on message that she doesn't need to know anything. Which is just as well as she doesn't have a fucking clue. All she does is put on that vile hectoring whine and say the same thing over and over again. Absolutely brilliant. I bet the boring tory couldn't believe his luck!!

An automaton in all but name.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 10:05

THe problem with QT is that these are enormously complex subjects that are given soundbite answers.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 10:17

Toby wrote:THe problem with QT is that these are enormously complex subjects that are given soundbite answers.

From the politicians, yeah. Others tend to ramble - but the problem with THEM is that they usually have no idea what they're talking about

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 10:21

Actually that Tory bore certainly couldn't be accused of giving soundbite answers.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 30 Nov 2018, 10:26

Toby wrote:What's wrong with the "Wetherspoons dickhead"? (Apart from wearing dreadful clothes)

his pubs for starters
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 10:34

Jeemo wrote:
Toby wrote:What's wrong with the "Wetherspoons dickhead"? (Apart from wearing dreadful clothes)

his pubs for starters

They do preserve loads of old buildings and give the older generation a place to go that isn't a gastropub or somewhere blasting loud music. Cheap beer too. It's not my thing at all but I think there's some "good" about Wetherspoons even if they probably killed off a lot of smaller pubs (that I suspect would probably have been lost anyway).

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 11:26

You just take a contrary stance for the sake of it these days T. It's really not worth bothering.

Of course the man is a twit.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 11:29

A twit who has built up a multi-million pound business employing thousands of people across the country.

I think it's easy to say "oh look at that bloke with the stupid hair, what a twat" etc. I've done it in the past - "oh look at Alan Sugar and his stupid face" etc. But these people are important whatever their proclivities and their perspectives. They have knowledge of how business works, far more than you or me. So to just dismiss them seems a bit silly.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 11:46

How did Trump manage to build his business empire? Would it be unfair to dismiss him?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 11:49

Not entirely I don't think. The guy who runs Wetherspoons isn't running on a populist platform and has no ambition as I can see to be a politician. There are significant differences between the Tory party and the billionaire plutocrats of the Trump cabinet.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 11:53

Toby wrote:Not entirely I don't think. The guy who runs Wetherspoons isn't running on a populist platform and has no ambition as I can see to be a politician.

but I was criticising him based on his politics. As you well know.

Enjoy your ploughman's lunch

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Nov 2018, 12:11

I have no real opinion on the owner of Weatherspoons. I know he is a fervent Brexit supporter and I’ve seen his skelped arse face on the telly a few times but that’s about it.

However, I will stick up for Weatherspoon’s. I know people have problems with them and big business in general – completely understandably - especially in relation to their impact on local businesses but the Weatherspoon’s at the bottom of Leith Walk is like a community centre for retired people. My folks, who are not the kind of people who would ever drink in a local pub, go there regularly for a coffee and maybe a portion of chips on a Saturday. Having spent many years in relative isolation up north – they are not a “social” couple – they have actually gotten to know and become friends with numerous people who hang out there. I honestly never thought such a thing would happen but it absolutely delights me when they tell me stories of the people in there. There’s some fella who was a hairdresser to “the stars” back in the 80s (Joan Collins, Babs Windsor etc) who regales them with tales of celebrity and diva bitchiness, there’s local boxing legend Ken Buchanan (sadly suffering from dementia it appears) and numerous other people they are on first name terms with. It’s like bleeding Cheers in there. If somebody goes “missing” for a couple of days it’s noted. People look out for each other you know. Given the difficulties of old age and the seemingly endemic loneliness that is plaguing retired people in this country this Weatherspoon’s – and many others I suspect - clearly serve some kind of greater purpose. They are a focal point for a vulnerable group of people. They fucking LOVE IT. It gives them real pleasure.

I have to say the renovation they did of the Picturehouse on Lothian Road is rather beautiful. Done with real care and attention. I understand the misgivings and I don’t like to see old pubs close down myself but I can’t be too critical these days.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 30 Nov 2018, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 30 Nov 2018, 12:20

Yep that's it really. We are so geared in general towards young people and everything being cool, trendy and looking good. The older generation need places that feel familiar, with cheap beer and food. Yeah it's not seared meat served on a slab, it's microwaved ham and eggs, but I think Wetherspoon's deserves a bit of credit for keeping "old pub" culture alive in many respects.

Unsurprisingly the Tunbridge Wells one is the old Opera House. I'm sure it would have been torn down otherwise.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2018, 12:44

Goat Boy wrote:I have no real opinion on the owner of Weatherspoons. I know he is a fervent Brexit supporter and I’ve seen his skelped arse face on the telly a few times but that’s about it.

However, I will stick up for Weatherspoon’s. I know people have problems with them and big business in general – completely understandably - especially in relation to their impact on local businesses but the Weatherspoon’s at the bottom of Leith Walk is like a community centre for retired people. My folks, who are not the kind of people who would ever drink in a local pub, go there regularly for a coffee and maybe a portion of chips on a Saturday. Having spent many years in relative isolation up north – they are not a “social” couple – they have actually gotten to know and become friends with numerous people who hang out there. I honestly never thought such a thing would happen but it absolutely delights me when they tell me stories of the people in there. There’s some fella who was a hairdresser to “the stars” back in the 80s (Joan Collins, Babs Windsor etc) who regales them with tales of celebrity and diva bitchiness, there’s local boxing legend Kenny Buchanan (sadly suffering from dementia it appears) and numerous other people they are on first name terms with. It’s like bleeding Cheers in there. If somebody goes “missing” for a couple of days it’s noted. People look out for each other you know. Given the difficulties of old age and the seemingly endemic loneliness that is plaguing retired people in this country this Weatherspoon’s – and many others I suspect - clearly serve some kind of greater purpose. They are a focal point for a vulnerable group of people. They fucking LOVE IT. It gives them real pleasure.

I have to say the renovation they did of the Picturehouse on Lothian Road is rather beautiful. Done with real care and attention. I understand the misgivings and I don’t like to see old pubs close down myself but I can’t be too critical these days.

The first Wetherspoons I went into was close to the centre of Edinburgh but I couldn't for the life of me tell you its name now. But it was really nice inside and you could get a pint and a curry for a fiver.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Nov 2018, 13:42

The chips are excellent!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal