The "Beast From the East"

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
caramba

The "Beast From the East"

Postby caramba » 28 Feb 2018, 17:10

When did snowfalls start being called "snow events" and everything start having to have stupid titles?

Dr Markus

Re: The "Beast From the East"

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Feb 2018, 17:26

caramba wrote:When did snowfalls start being called "snow events" and everything start having to have stupid titles?

Since Britain left the EU.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2018, 18:07

Global warming has made things so much worse - in the past we only had the "pest from the west" to deal with.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 28 Feb 2018, 18:20

-19 C this morning :)
That used to be pretty normal here in February, though :?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Feb 2018, 19:32

The Modernist wrote:Global warming has made things so much worse - in the past we only had the "pest from the west" to deal with.

I thought that was Markus!

Oh ho! :lol:

:(
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 28 Feb 2018, 21:34

Another Kenji thread?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Feb 2018, 21:53

We had a storm called a "bomb cyclone" here last month, which apparently is the name of a type of snowstorm now. :lol:

Anything to sell papers, or drive clicks or whatever.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Feb 2018, 23:32

We have only had the very lightest of dustings so far here in the golden triangle. And what little that has fallen has largely blown away. We normally get both barrels when this sort of thing happens...
You don't like me...do you?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 28 Feb 2018, 23:48

Over 24 hours of snow up here, hasn't stopped all day. Still going strong at the moment.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Mar 2018, 00:06

Deebank wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Global warming has made things so much worse - in the past we only had the "pest from the west" to deal with.

I thought that was Markus!

Oh ho! :lol:

:(

northwest
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

joklend

Postby joklend » 01 Mar 2018, 09:38

Blizzards and thunder the past couple of days, just a white fog of snow every so often. I can only remember 2010 being similarly as bad.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 01 Mar 2018, 09:45

yomptepi wrote:We have only had the very lightest of dustings so far here in the golden triangle. And what little that has fallen has largely blown away. We normally get both barrels when this sort of thing happens...

Jeemo wrote:Over 24 hours of snow up here, hasn't stopped all day. Still going strong at the moment.

joklend wrote:Blizzards and thunder the past couple of days, just a white fog of snow every so often. I can only remember 2010 being similarly as bad.

Yeah - it's the North and Scotland that seem to have been hardest hit.

There's just a wee bit of snow left on the ground right now but it's fucking freezing - apparently -4 but it feels much colder. And the house won't warm up - we're walking around in layers...
Jimbo wrote:My brain is packed with info

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Mar 2018, 09:47

Down in Devon we swerved the Beast, except for the cold, but there's a new white hell coming from the South with 40mph winds behind it, and we are going to get seriously trashed today and tomorrow. I found myself apologising to the birds and other critters in my wildlife garden today as I put some food out and unfroze the birdbaths - not that I take responsibility for the weather, but I do sympathize with the poor little sods. At least I've got a roof and, for the moment at least, central heating.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 01 Mar 2018, 09:50

Rayge wrote:Down in Devon we swerved the Beast, except for the cold, but there's a new white hell coming from the South with 40mph winds behind it, and we are going to get seriously trashed today and tomorrow. I found myself apologising to the birds and other critters in my wildlife garden today as I put some food out and unfroze the birdbaths - not that I take responsibility for the weather, but I do sympathize with the poor little sods. At least I've got a roof and, for the moment at least, central heating.

I have been over feeding my birdies over the last few days. I have even been putting crackers out for the crows. ( they love crackers). I do wonder how how the little critters stay warm when it is -5 and blowing a gale.
You don't like me...do you?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Mar 2018, 10:22

Rayge wrote:Down in Devon we swerved the Beast, except for the cold, but there's a new white hell coming from the South with 40mph winds behind it, and we are going to get seriously trashed today and tomorrow. I found myself apologising to the birds and other critters in my wildlife garden today as I put some food out and unfroze the birdbaths - not that I take responsibility for the weather, but I do sympathize with the poor little sods. At least I've got a roof and, for the moment at least, central heating.

I've just been out to Sainsburys for a spot of panic buying. I was expecting hordes of desperate Exetonians stripping the shelves and fighting in the aisles for the last packet of powdered soup.... It was all disappointingly calm and quiet. The roads were all fine too - Gwen the Yeti coped admirably!

What with the wind and all,bucolic Rayge End might be prone to drifting come the blizzard this PM - stay warm, and you might be needing some snow shoes to walk the dog!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 01 Mar 2018, 13:28

snow back on again
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Mar 2018, 14:12

Nothing like two Minnesota co workers laughing at us for the "beast of the east".

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 01 Mar 2018, 14:21

yomptepi wrote:I do wonder how how the little critters stay warm when it is -5 and blowing a gale.

Don't worry. They'll be fine. We get sparrows and cardinals bopping around, seemingly without a care, when it's -20 outside.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 01 Mar 2018, 20:49

Waiting for the bus this morning. :|

"I think you've blown a seal"
"No, it's just the frost in my moustache"

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 01 Mar 2018, 21:00

You know what job I want? I want to be the guy who programs the iPhone weather app. I think s/he just gets paid for sitting around watching Netflix and randomly clicking a number and an emoticon every now and again. According to that app, it hasn't snowed since Monday.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.