recognising dogs and birds

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
j

Re: recognising dogs and birds

Postby j » 02 Mar 2018, 00:29

John aka Josh wrote:Yes, fieldfare. They don't visit my garden very often, almost always when the weather is harsh. The previous time, around 6 years ago there must have been a small flock of around 60 which managed to strip my small pyracantha hedge in less than an hour. It was a great sight! They do seem to like those berries, there's a fair amount of ivy around my garden and I've never seen them eating ivy berries, only pyracantha.

Interesting. We have a lot of pyracantha bushes, but the berries were all eaten by blackbirds months ago, back in the autumn.

Spotted a solitary redwing today, the first I've seen in the garden for a few years. No fieldfares, although have seen them in the nearby large park.

Like others I've been putting extra food out for the birds knowing that such cold weather was coming. Today was the coldest day of the week so far (no warmer than -3 below) and the birds were definitely appearing in increased numbers and clearing the food particularly quickly. I'm based at home and I think I topped up the bird table at least four times today - it's more interesting than working!

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 02 Mar 2018, 01:16

K wrote:No. It's a jackdaw. I love jackdaws, and they are quite common around towns. Not as beautiful as Jays, but much more common.

I was interested to learn that many birds have human names because that is how medieval people named them, and some of them stuck and that has become the name of the bird:

Robin Redbreast is now just a Robin, Jenny Wren, Jackdaw.

I am sure there are others people can think of
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 02 Mar 2018, 09:26

j wrote:
Interesting. We have a lot of pyracantha bushes, but the berries were all eaten by blackbirds months ago, back in the autumn.

Spotted a solitary redwing today, the first I've seen in the garden for a few years. No fieldfares, although have seen them in the nearby large park.

Like others I've been putting extra food out for the birds knowing that such cold weather was coming. Today was the coldest day of the week so far (no warmer than -3 below) and the birds were definitely appearing in increased numbers and clearing the food particularly quickly. I'm based at home and I think I topped up the bird table at least four times today - it's more interesting than working!

Blackbirds usually are the ones to eat our pyracantha, but our blackbird population has taken a bit of a hit over the last couple of years with two tall hedges at the end of neighbours gardens being removed/severely cut back. The one that had backed onto our garden has had nesting blackbirds every year since we moved hear 20 years ago.

At 7:00 this morning saw a fieldfare on my birdbath, apparently trying to drink the ice. Filled the birdbath with hot water, went in and within a minute was rewarded with 3 of them coming in for a drink.

As you say, a lot more interesting watching the birds than working!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Mar 2018, 09:44

jimboo wrote:Fieldfare?

I was going to say thrush because of the speckled breast. it is a small thrush, and has the delightful Latin name of Turdus pilaris

Which made my day.
You don't like me...do you?

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 02 Mar 2018, 11:04

yomptepi wrote:

I was going to say thrush because of the speckled breast. it is a small thrush, and has the delightful Latin name of Turdus pilaris

Which made my day.

One day I hope to see a Turdus obscurus in the flesh.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 02 Mar 2018, 11:20

Get ye to a Jolly Up.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Mar 2018, 13:34

On a TV court show a guy was suing his neighbor for damage the neighbor's cat did to his property. The judge said the cat owner needn't pay because, unlike dogs which need to be licensed, cats are considered wild and so there is no actual ownership or responsibility for what cats do.
Gadfly

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Mar 2018, 13:37

We have been putting out crackers and bacon for the birds, and so far we have had two large ravens eating the crackers, and the shed roof has been spectacularly dive bombed by a pair of Red Kites. Really quite exhilarating. The bird table remains swamped by sparrows in their hundreds, some blackbirds and various pigeons and doves. There is a Moor Hen waddling about nearby too, by I have no explanation what it is doing so far from any wetlands.
You don't like me...do you?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Mar 2018, 14:14

Today on the feeders...

Starling

Fieldfare

Goldfinch and greenfinch

Pissed-off fieldfare

Greenfinches
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 02 Mar 2018, 14:24

yomptepi wrote:

Which made my day.

Pretentious! Using all that Latin.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 02 Mar 2018, 14:26

K wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Which made my day.

Pretentious! Using all that Latin.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=137536&p=3937144#p3937144

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 02 Mar 2018, 14:55

nev gash wrote:Get ye to a Jolly Up.

:D

Long as I don't come across the right winged Turdus pedanticus ;)

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 02 Mar 2018, 15:03

Rayge wrote:
Pissed-off fieldfare

My favourite.

yomptepi wrote:We have been putting out crackers and bacon for the birds, and so far we have had two large ravens eating the crackers, and the shed roof has been spectacularly dive bombed by a pair of Red Kites.

I'm living in hope that Milvus milvus will continue expanding their range southwards to my neck of the woods. One of the joys of visiting my mother is seeing these magnificent birds.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Mar 2018, 15:08

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:
Toby wrote:
Super-Jank wrote:a
You get people who say ‘oh there was a lovely Golden Retriever passed by here the other day’ - how do they know?

or ‘look at those crows!’

I'm sorry, but you'd have to be a complete fucking halfwit not to recognise either of these two animals.

I wouldn’t recognise either.

QED.

As Jacob Rees-Mogg would sneer, haughtily.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Mar 2018, 21:32

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 02 Mar 2018, 21:37

Hammerfinch?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 02 Mar 2018, 21:40

Tit

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 02 Mar 2018, 21:50

bollockbeak
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 02 Mar 2018, 21:55

Pied or Lesser Spotted?

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 10 Mar 2018, 20:42

Rayge wrote:Today on the feeders...

Starling

I love starlings! The sheer mob-handedness of them.

On a related subject – birds live in them, dogs bark up the wrong ones – there’s a tree in my garden which has to come down as it’s beginning to impinge on the roof of an outhouse and will knock the whole thing down if given another couple of years. I was asking the “tree surgeon” if he knew what it was called and he gave me the Latin name of it and I looked it up on wikipedia which says: “Celtis australis is supposed to have been the Lotus of the ancients, whose fruit Herodotus, Dioscorides, and Theophrastus describe as sweet, pleasant, and wholesome. Homer has Ulysses refer to the "Lotus-eaters" and the "lotus"”. So now I’m kind of regretting it has to go, what with all its lofty classical associations. Sorry birds but you can’t deny you have other trees. It just popped up of its own accord anyway so I’m sure another one will appear somewhere.