Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Davey the Fat Boy

Re: Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Feb 2018, 23:51

German Dave wrote:It wasn't a good look.

Duly noted Third Reich Dave!
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2018, 08:14

It is political and not - as the Baron assumes - a matter of legal procedure.

The UK’s hidden role in Assange’s detention
12 February 2018

It now emerges that the last four years of Julian Assange’s effective imprisonment in the Ecuadorean embassy in London have been entirely unnecessary. In fact, they depended on a legal charade.

Behind the scenes, Sweden wanted to drop the extradition case against Assange back in 2013. Why was this not made public? Because Britain persuaded Sweden to pretend that they still wished to pursue the case.

In other words, for more than four years Assange has been holed up in a tiny room, policed at great cost to British taxpayers, not because of any allegations in Sweden but because the British authorities wanted him to remain there. On what possible grounds could that be, one has to wonder? Might it have something to do with his work as the head of Wikileaks, publishing information from whistleblowers that has severely embarrassed the United States and the UK...

the chief CPS lawyer handling the case in the UK, had earlier written to the Swedish prosecutors: “Don’t you dare get cold feet!!!”

https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2018 ... detention/

UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange case

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... sange-case
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 17 Feb 2018, 09:25

Jimbo wrote:It is political and not - as the Baron assumes - a matter of legal procedure.

The UK’s hidden role in Assange’s detention
12 February 2018

It now emerges that the last four years of Julian Assange’s effective imprisonment in the Ecuadorean embassy in London have been entirely unnecessary. In fact, they depended on a legal charade.

Behind the scenes, Sweden wanted to drop the extradition case against Assange back in 2013. Why was this not made public? Because Britain persuaded Sweden to pretend that they still wished to pursue the case.

In other words, for more than four years Assange has been holed up in a tiny room, policed at great cost to British taxpayers, not because of any allegations in Sweden but because the British authorities wanted him to remain there. On what possible grounds could that be, one has to wonder? Might it have something to do with his work as the head of Wikileaks, publishing information from whistleblowers that has severely embarrassed the United States and the UK...

the chief CPS lawyer handling the case in the UK, had earlier written to the Swedish prosecutors: “Don’t you dare get cold feet!!!”

https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2018 ... detention/

UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange case

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... sange-case

Did the above post come from wikileaks? Kind of ironic if it didn't.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 Feb 2018, 14:21

Jimbo wrote:It is political and not - as the Baron assumes - a matter of legal procedure.

You have conflated your imagined desires for the motive of British/Crown prosecutors with the decision making process of the judge, who is called to decide a legal issue. It may be true that the British authorities have ulterior motives, and it may be true that, deep inside, the judge's secret motives have gotten the best of him or her.

I would like to see the documents that the lawyers filed and the arguments they have made. Does anyone have a link for that? Without knowing more, it seems to me that there is a perfectly solid legal reason not to drop the bail jumping case and let bygones be bygones.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 17 Feb 2018, 17:21

German Dave wrote:
Nick wrote:And that's before we get to the obvious primary point that there's a good case that Wikileaks has willfully endangered lives.

A bit like western foreign policy.

Whataboutery.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2018, 17:58

Nick wrote:
German Dave wrote:
Nick wrote:And that's before we get to the obvious primary point that there's a good case that Wikileaks has willfully endangered lives.

Whataboutery.

Nick wrote:Am I the only one who thinks 'unboxing' is an awful word?
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Robert

Postby Robert » 17 Feb 2018, 18:25

A whistle blower, I believe, is someone who notices something wrong and alerts others.

The whole wikileaks thing seems to be throwing just anything they can put their hands on into the open. Regardless of understanding it, knowing how to assess it or realising how harmful it may be.

I wouldn’t call that journalism.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 Feb 2018, 18:52

Here's the judge's actual decision.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content ... eb2018.pdf

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 17 Feb 2018, 19:44

Nick wrote:
German Dave wrote:

Whataboutery.

I was hoping you'd get the subtext that Wikileaks exposure of Western war crimes may actually have the effect of saving lives, ultimately.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 18 Feb 2018, 01:31

Very Stable Baron wrote:Here's the judge's actual decision.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content ... eb2018.pdf

Thanks for that. It seems thorough enough but it isn't, especially regarding JA's fear of being sent back to the US.

14. I accept that Mr Assange had expressed fears of being returned to the United States from a very early stage in the Swedish extradition proceedings but, absent any evidence from Mr Assange on oath, I do not find that Mr Assange’s fears were reasonable. I do not accept that Sweden would have rendered Mr Assange to the United States. If that had happened there would have been a diplomatic crisis between the United Kingdom, Sweden and the United States which would have affected international relationships and extradition proceedings between the states.

Were there not calls from high US officials calling for his neck? And JA having seen how the US had treated Manning, called torturous by many, he had a a reasonable fear. While the UK judge's report does seem thorough in may ways this important consideration is missing.

Again, thanks, it was an enlightening look into legal procedure.

(Run, Julian, run!)

PS Giving the UK judge some benefit of doubt, maybe Assange's lawyers hadn't stressed this consderation themselves.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 18 Feb 2018, 02:35

That’s probably the case, yeah.
I’ll have to read through this with my thinking cap on. I don’t wear it on Saturday Nite.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 06:49

Very Stable Baron wrote:That’s probably the case, yeah.
I’ll have to read through this with my thinking cap on. I don’t wear it on Saturday Nite.

What have we become? :(
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 18 Feb 2018, 07:12

German Dave wrote:
Very Stable Baron wrote:That’s probably the case, yeah.

What have we become? :(

damned elites with all their reading and thinking :evil:
king of the divan

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 07:15

This is basically how Rome fell.
Goatboy to Belle:

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 18 Feb 2018, 08:07

Er really?

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 08:26

No, Toby. It's a joke.
Goatboy to Belle:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Feb 2018, 09:44

Hard to tell these days, innit?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 11:15

Goat Boy wrote:Hard to tell these days, innit?

:lol:
Goatboy to Belle:

Joe Baxter

Postby Joe Baxter » 19 Feb 2018, 16:51

Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:He is a journalist who has just done too good a job, raked up more muck than he should have, afflicted too many powerful people.

I fail to see what any of this has to do with whether or not he rapes women?

Did he rape women?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Feb 2018, 17:27

Joe Baxter wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:He is a journalist who has just done too good a job, raked up more muck than he should have, afflicted too many powerful people.

I fail to see what any of this has to do with whether or not he rapes women?

Did he rape women?

I don't know - do you?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON