Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

Postby Jimbo » 10 Jun 2018, 17:04

Vic Snazell-Sprey wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Apparently Assange knows his plight better than you and knows or highly suspects that he will be captured and sent to a place worse than his room at the embassy.

Are you suggesting that the USA would actually carry out a kidnapping with impunity in a sovereign state?

Not sure how it works. Look how they cancelled Snowden's passport while he was in a Russian airport - thus the reason Snowden is in Russia today. How about the Brits arrest him for jumping bail and then extradite him to the US on whatever charge they invent, like document theft or espionage. Obviously Assange is aware he is in danger and so won't just stroll out of the embassy. That there are fewer cops around there than before is meaningless because there are cameras to follow him. He's been denounced by Pence and Pompeo and if smart people like Piger and Catlain Johnstone say he is in danger then I'd take their word over Penk's and Jeemo's any day.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jun 2018, 17:11

Maybe if he pissed off Putin I'd be worried about him.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 10 Jun 2018, 17:14

A sort of "extraordinary rendition," as it were.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Jun 2018, 17:25

I fail to see how there is no compassion for the guy. The rape charges have been dropped so there is no reason to hate on him for that and what's left is a journalist whose done more to "afflict the comfortable" than any other in a long time.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 10 Jun 2018, 17:33

Jimbo wrote:I fail to see how there is no compassion for the guy? The rape charges have been dropped so there is no reason to hate on him for that and what's left is a journalist whose done more to "afflict the comfortable" than any other in a long time.

I tend to agree. If we can't agree that the likes of Snowden and Assange are more admirable than the cunts they're exposing then we really are fucked.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 10 Jun 2018, 17:47

Vic Snazell-Sprey wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I fail to see how there is no compassion for the guy? The rape charges have been dropped so there is no reason to hate on him for that and what's left is a journalist whose done more to "afflict the comfortable" than any other in a long time.

I tend to agree. If we can't agree that the likes of Snowden and Assange are more admirable than the cunts they're exposing then we really are fucked.

Not liking Adsange doesn't mean you support the other side. He took refuge in the face of the rape charges and possibly going on trial in Sweden. The charges have been dropped so everything is back to square one. Except of course Jimbo will believe any half baked conspiracy theory/deep state/ Bollocks that gets posted on the web. And Assange naively thinking he sjould get off scot free for wikileaks.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jun 2018, 17:50

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39973864

But she said: "If he were to return to Sweden before the statute of limitation on this case expires in August 2020, the preliminary investigation could be resumed."

She said it was "regrettable we have not been able to carry out the investigation", and added: "We are not making any pronouncement about guilt."

Just because the charges were dropped does mean there was no veracity to them. Generally speaking in life if women accuse men of rape and molestation I take that pretty seriously. From what I've read about Assange from people who know him I suspect his attitude towards women is questionable to say the least. There are other things to dislike about the man as have been noted earlier in this thread and personally I doubt his motivations are anywhere near as noble as some would like to believe but he's become a poster boy for some I guess.

In short I think he's a bit of a cunt.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 10 Jun 2018, 17:52

but Pilger etc
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jun 2018, 17:57

Well, some people will side with twats because of who those twats are seemingly in opposition to. Assange was seen as giving a bloody nose to people who were long overdue it and maybe in the beginning there was an element of that but I think his journalistic ethics are non-existent and that any perceived noble intentions were more to do with his own self aggrandizement. Which isn't to say I would dismiss the value of wikileaks entirely but I think he lost any integrity a long time ago.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Jun 2018, 19:14

Exactly. Power corrupts etc. At some point it stopped being about exposing government abuse and misbehaviour and instead became about doing shit for the sake of it or (as we saw with the Clinton stuff) because it strengthens their own position.

If Assange walks out now nobody will do more than take him in for a waggly finger and a spanked bottom and he’ll lose a lot of face having portrayed hinself as Robin Hood for the last six years.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Jun 2018, 04:17

Goat Boy wrote:Maybe if he pissed off Putin I'd be worried about him.

You are implying that Wikileaks/Assange has a pro-Russiian bias. I had heard that Wikileaks covers Russian secrets but mostly what I have seen and heard about are American stuff like the DNC emails but just to see for myself I Yahoo-ed "Wikileaks Russia Putin's money" and came to the a Wikileaks run site called "Global Intelligence Files" featuring many articles and some with titles like those below.

https://search.wikileaks.org/advanced?o ... d=&any_of=

RUSSIA - Russian editorial sees Putin's monopoly on power as threat to social stability

Russian paper examines business connections of Putin's friends

Putin's new world order?

Putin's Declining Ratings, Possible Lack of Appeal to 'Ordinary' People Eyed

Putin's return may drive Russia into neo-isolationism, new Cold War

Half Of Russians Not Planning To Vote Of Putin's Front In Elections - Poll

Experts Skeptical about Putin's Suggestion that Russia Annex South Ossetia

PUTIN'S YAMAL MEETING WITH INTERNATIONAL ENERGY CEO'S YIELDS FEW RESULTS

Russian radio station chief questions Putin's remarks about oil trader

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Jun 2018, 08:24

I was trying to imply that if anybody was going to act with impunity it would be Russia more than America. I suspect Putin likes the destabilising affect of Wikileaks and the fact that it feeds into anti-Western thought

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 11 Jun 2018, 09:14

Goat Boy wrote: I suspect Putin likes the destabilising affect of Wikileaks and the fact that it feeds into anti-Western thought

He likes it enough to have paid Assange to present a show about politics for Russian state TV.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Jun 2018, 09:51

Besht matez

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Jun 2018, 10:01

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Jul 2018, 19:24

So, the scuttlebutt is that Ecuador is about to hand him over to the U.K.
If that’s true, what happens next?
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Jul 2018, 19:26

sneelock wrote:So, the scuttlebutt is that Ecuador is about to hand him over to the U.K.

They'll lose him
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 23 Jul 2018, 00:27

Keep an eye on your Starbucks.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 23 Jul 2018, 18:45

I mainly hope that Trump pisses Assange off, and in retaliation, Assange releases every email the GOP has sent to anyone in the last ten years.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2018, 20:27

sneelock wrote:So, the scuttlebutt is that Ecuador is about to hand him over to the U.K.

We will trade him as a part of Brexit.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."