Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Joe Baxter

Re: Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

Postby Joe Baxter » 07 Mar 2018, 10:43

Geezee wrote:
Joe Baxter wrote:
Geezee wrote:
I fail to see what any of this has to do with whether or not he rapes women?

Did he rape women?

I don't know - do you?

I don't know either, but I read about it at the time, and gist of it is that he slept with a woman who was a willing participant. Sometime later, he woke up and started shagging her again, this is what she called rape.
He, quite correctly in my view, thought he would never get a fair trial in Sweden, and took steps to avoid being there. He said he was more than happy to be tried in the UK. Doesn't sound like a rapist to me.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Mar 2018, 14:57

Joe Baxter wrote: thought he would never get a fair trial in Sweden

because?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 09 Mar 2018, 20:50

Geezee wrote:
Joe Baxter wrote: thought he would never get a fair trial in Sweden

because?

Quite.

Because Sweden is well-known as an intolerant and oppressive state, and violator of human rights.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jun 2018, 01:53

Why Bringing Assange Home Would Be The Best Possible Thing For Australia

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/why- ... 897d509997
Gadfly

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 09 Jun 2018, 08:30

he's in grave danger of walking out the door anytime he wants.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Jun 2018, 10:28

Jeemo wrote:he's in grave danger of walking out the door anytime he wants.

My understanding is that the police guard on the door was removed some time ago, and that he is free to leave if he wants. The problem is that he has become institutionalised in his room, and now believes the entire British legal system is hell bent on arresting him as soon as he sets foot outside the door. Poor deluded irrelevant prick that he is.
You don't like me...do you?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 09 Jun 2018, 13:10

yomptepi wrote:

My understanding is that the police guard on the door was removed some time ago, and that he is free to leave if he wants. The problem is that he has become institutionalised in his room, and now believes the entire British legal system is hell bent on arresting him as soon as he sets foot outside the door. Poor deluded irrelevant prick that he is.

nail on head

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jun 2018, 16:04

What a dummy! It makes perfect sense. If all he has to do is walk out the door why won't he do that?
Gadfly

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Jun 2018, 18:05

Jimbo wrote:

What a dummy! It makes perfect sense. If all he has to do is walk out the door why won't he do that?

Because he is a lunatic of Jimbo proportions.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 09 Jun 2018, 18:09

Jimbo wrote:

because he is an entitled throbber

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Jun 2018, 00:00

Jeemo wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Can't let that poppy get too tall, you know.

John Pilger’s Statement

“There is a silence among many who call themselves left. The silence is Julian Assange. As every false accusation has fallen away, every bogus smear shown to be the work of political enemies, Julian stands vindicated as one who has exposed a system that threatens humanity. The Collateral Damage video, the war logs of Afghanistan and Iraq, the Cablegate revelations, the Venezuela revelations, the Podesta email revelations … these are just a few of the storms of raw truth that have blown through the capitals of rapacious power. The fakery of Russia-gate, the collusion of a corrupt media and the shame of a legal system that pursues truth-tellers have not been able to hold back the raw truth of WikiLeaks revelations. They have not won, not yet, and they have not destroyed the man. Only the silence of good people will allow them to win. Julian Assange has never been more isolated. He needs your support and your voice. Now more than ever is the time to demand justice and free speech for Julian. Thank you.”
https://consortiumnews.com/2018/06/09/t ... ange-case/
Gadfly

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Jun 2018, 08:20

What ”justice” should we be demanding for a man who has spent years holed up in a foreign embassy to avoid his rape trial?
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 10 Jun 2018, 09:27

Jimbo wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Can't let that poppy get too tall, you know.

John Pilger’s Statement

“There is a silence among many who call themselves left. The silence is Julian Assange. As every false accusation has fallen away, every bogus smear shown to be the work of political enemies, Julian stands vindicated as one who has exposed a system that threatens humanity. The Collateral Damage video, the war logs of Afghanistan and Iraq, the Cablegate revelations, the Venezuela revelations, the Podesta email revelations … these are just a few of the storms of raw truth that have blown through the capitals of rapacious power. The fakery of Russia-gate, the collusion of a corrupt media and the shame of a legal system that pursues truth-tellers have not been able to hold back the raw truth of WikiLeaks revelations. They have not won, not yet, and they have not destroyed the man. Only the silence of good people will allow them to win. Julian Assange has never been more isolated. He needs your support and your voice. Now more than ever is the time to demand justice and free speech for Julian. Thank you.”
https://consortiumnews.com/2018/06/09/t ... ange-case/

he can come out anytime he wants. nobody is stopping him except himself.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 10 Jun 2018, 09:42

PENK wrote:What ”justice” should we be demanding for a man who has spent years holed up in a foreign embassy to avoid his rape trial?

but.....Pilger
Jimbo wrote:My brain is packed with info

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 10 Jun 2018, 09:44

PENK wrote:What ”justice” should we be demanding for a man who has spent years holed up in a foreign embassy to avoid his rape trial?

I honestly don't know the details of the case but I was struck by how incredibly convenient the accusation was - I'll admit that my first instinct is that this was a trumped-up charge to eliminate what the West - and the USA in particular - saw as a very dangerous man. Happy to be put right.

Assange/Wikileaks has done more good than bad, it seems to me. It has a held a mirror up to the West's face. Of course, people have a problem with its indiscriminate revelations (it bothers me, too ) and with Assange's less-than-cuddly personality, but I'm not sure that should even come into it.
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 10 Jun 2018, 09:45

The Venerable B. Eef wrote:
but.....Pilger

Does Pilger not make some good points, John?

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 10 Jun 2018, 10:21

He does. It was my response to Ed, who I think oversimplified the situation.
Jimbo wrote:My brain is packed with info

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Jun 2018, 15:03

I’m genuinely not sure what point Pilger is trying to make, though.

Assange is free to leave the Ecuadorean embassy. The rape charges have been dropped. There are no plans to extradite him. The only case open against him regards his jumping bail when he went in there.

I am not sure how he does not have ”free speech”. He is very active online - on Twitter, for example - although his Internet access was temporarily cut off during his time in the embassy but that was because he was found to have been attempting to interfere in the US election by releasing the Clinton emails. And because he was allegedly snooping on embassy staff’s emails and Internet use.

I don’t think he is in need of ”justice” so much as publicity. The main danger he faces by leaving is that he loses the one thing - his supposed pursuit by the US government - that keeps him in the public eye.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Jun 2018, 15:27

PENK wrote:I’m genuinely not sure what point Pilger is trying to make, though.

Assange is free to leave the Ecuadorean embassy. The rape charges have been dropped. There are no plans to extradite him. The only case open against him regards his jumping bail when he went in there.

Apparently Assange knows his plight better than you and knows or highly suspects that he will be captured and sent to a place worse than his room at the embassy.
Gadfly

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 10 Jun 2018, 16:18

Jimbo wrote:Apparently Assange knows his plight better than you and knows or highly suspects that he will be captured and sent to a place worse than his room at the embassy.

Are you suggesting that the USA would actually carry out a kidnapping with impunity in a sovereign state?