Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2018, 11:43

I vote let him go. He is a journalist who has just done too good a job, raked up more muck than he should have, afflicted too many powerful people. Let him go.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Should Julian Assange be free to leave?

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 16 Feb 2018, 11:47

He is free to go.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2018, 11:48

nev harp wrote:He is free to go.

So that's a no.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Feb 2018, 12:38

Sure Pamela must be getting restless.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Feb 2018, 13:17

Jimbo wrote:

So that's a no.

No, you seem to have misread - that's a yes.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Feb 2018, 13:18

Jimbo wrote:He is a journalist who has just done too good a job, raked up more muck than he should have, afflicted too many powerful people.

I fail to see what any of this has to do with whether or not he rapes women?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 16 Feb 2018, 13:28

He sure is.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2018, 13:31

Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:He is a journalist who has just done too good a job, raked up more muck than he should have, afflicted too many powerful people.

Why must you be so oblique? First, you say he is free to leave, but you know he will be nabbed by the British police as soon as he steps out of the embassy. And then you imply he is a rapist but the rape charges have been dropped. Based upon my interpretation of your comments I get the strong feeling you don't want to see him go free.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Feb 2018, 14:03

Jimbo wrote:
Geezee wrote:

Why must you be so oblique? First, you say he is free to leave, but you know he will be nabbed by the British police as soon as he steps out of the embassy. And then you imply he is a rapist but the rape charges have been dropped. Based upon my interpretation of your comments I get the strong feeling you don't want to see him go free.

Your question is whether he is "free to leave" - which he is.
I never implied in any way whatsoever that he is a rapist. I have no idea if he is or not since he evaded the famously CIA-directed Swedish justice system. But that was the background to this entire case, and hence anything that he has done, good or bad, in the name of journalism has nothing to do with anything. I'm a very strong supporter of Wikileaks - but as soon as you start saying that someone is "too good" at something to actually face his day in court for something entirely different, I think you are on very, very shaky ground. It has nothing to do with anything.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2018, 14:43

Geezee wrote: I'm a very strong supporter of Wikileaks - but as soon as you start saying that someone is "too good" at something to actually face his day in court for something entirely different, I think you are on very, very shaky ground. It has nothing to do with anything.

I support Wikileaks too. And I see my opening post was poorly written and what I meant was that Assage/Wikileaks is being punished for being so good at his job … too good. But again I am confused by your writing. If Sweden has let him off the hook then why must he face a court? I read that his charge in Britain was jumping bail but since the original charge from Sweden was dropped then the bail jumping is moot -or should be made moot by a British court. Instead the UK court still wants to see him and he isn't taking the bait. He's staying put in the embassy. That's how I see it.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 16 Feb 2018, 14:47

My understanding is that the police no longer have an officer on the door of the embassy. Personally I would like him to leave, and fuck off to Ecuador where I hope he and his cowardly ass can contemplate what a chicken shit fuck he has been. Before all this nonsense i thoight he was a force for good. His behaviour has ensured he will forever be considered a clown and and coward.
You don't like me...do you?

THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 16 Feb 2018, 14:49

The Bear speaks for me
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 Feb 2018, 14:58

I don't support Wikileaks. Dumping confidential documents wholesale into the public domain is not only not good journalism, I'm not even sure it's journalism at all.

And that's before we get to the obvious primary point that there's a good case that Wikileaks has willfully endangered lives. There's a reckless abdication of ethics and responsibility, things that should be sacred to a journalist.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 16 Feb 2018, 15:18

Jimbo wrote:
Geezee wrote: I'm a very strong supporter of Wikileaks - but as soon as you start saying that someone is "too good" at something to actually face his day in court for something entirely different, I think you are on very, very shaky ground. It has nothing to do with anything.

I support Wikileaks too. And I see my opening post was poorly written and what I meant was that Assage/Wikileaks is being punished for being so good at his job … too good. But again I am confused by your writing. If Sweden has let him off the hook then why must he face a court? I read that his charge in Britain was jumping bail but since the original charge from Sweden was dropped then the bail jumping is moot -or should be made moot by a British court. Instead the UK court still wants to see him and he isn't taking the bait. He's staying put in the embassy. That's how I see it.

The bail jumping case is in no way moot. That charges are no longer pending doesn’t change the fact he is (apparently) accused of jumping bail at a time when they were pending. Once charges go away, you aren’t allowed to holler King’s X.

I have mixed feelings about Wikileaks, and I’m not up to speed on the state of the accusations against him. But in my view, if you’re going to break laws as a matter of principle, then you must be willing to do time as a matter of principle. So Yomp is basically on point.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 16 Feb 2018, 15:21

A rapey twat.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2018, 15:27

Very Stable Baron wrote:
The bail jumping case is in no way moot. That charges are no longer pending doesn’t change the fact he is (apparently) accused of jumping bail at a time when they were pending. Once charges go away, you aren’t allowed to holler King’s X.

I have mixed feelings about Wikileaks, and I’m not up to speed on the state of the accusations against him. But in my view, if you’re going to break laws as a matter of principle, then you must be willing to do time as a matter of principle. So Yomp is basically on point.

They were waiting for a judge to make a ruling as to whether he was still wanted for bail jumping and she ruled that he was. So it was possible that the judge could have rescinded the charge but (IMO for political reasons) didn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... st-warrant

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Feb 2018, 15:31

I really don’t know a thing about where he stands legally. But Nick is right...he’s no journalist.

On a karmic level, I wish him what he deserves.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 16 Feb 2018, 15:32

Jimbo wrote:
Very Stable Baron wrote:

They were waiting for a judge to make a ruling as to whether he was still wanted for bail jumping and she ruled that he was. So it was possible that the judge could have rescinded the charge but (IMO for political reasons) didn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... st-warrant

Why would you assume something was for political reasons when there is a strong, nearly unassailable legal reason? Everything the judge is quoted as saying is completely reasonable and uncontroversial. You and Assange’s lawyers are inventing a controversy where there is none. Credit to the lawyers, that’s their job and I would do exactly the same thing if he was my client. I would also tell him he’s probably fucked. I’m sorry your powers of skepticism have failed you.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Feb 2018, 15:36

I too agree with Nick.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2018, 15:38

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I really don’t know a thing about where he stands legally. But Nick is right...he’s no journalist.

And the CIA and FBI are not my parents but they can still peek into my computer history and read my email. It's not like it used to be, It's a new kind of ball game. Wikileaks is a tattling bulwark against this kind of government overreach. It let's them know that we're watching them while they watch us.